Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

where's the hat news

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What about a thread about "hat news" meaning hat industry news? It could be a forum for manufacturers or retailers. Here's a case in point. I spoke with the guy at Worth and Worth in New York a few months ago, and he said they were thinking of coming through Washington with samples someday. Now, how would I ever know when that would be? On the "hat news" thread, they could communicate that. Or Stetson might come out with a new model. Who would care, except for us? Many other cases could probably be added.

fmw

One Too Many
One way to handle that would be to invite the manufacturers and other industry folks to each have their own forum or sub forum. You can invite them and ask only that they provide somebody to look at it and respond to posts once per day. The reason it would be valuable to them is not just dealing with this small group of consumers but it would put the threads on the search engines and potentially open things up to a broader audience. The trick is getting any of them interested in participating. All you can do is ask. They you can have a Stetson sub forum, a David Morgan sub forum etc.

Now anybody have a good idea for putting an end to the fashionability of baseball caps and getting men back to covering their heads with better products? Can we bring back the 1950's at least in terms of headwear?

JimWagner

Practically Family
Hat news would certainly be interesting, but not sure any hat manufacturer would want to get into the inevitable and endless debates and arguments such an interactive forum would lead to. Especially when some of them don't talk about future offerings on their own web sites.

Case in point; I saw a statement on a dealer's web site (that I'll not name here but you can find it easily with google) that said that Stetson would be reissuing the Stratoliner in fall, 2011. I couldn't find anything to that effect on the Stetson web site. Couldn't find it anywhere else either.

That little tidbit might be true, or not. Such a thing would generate a lot of speculation and debate here (for example) with lots of people weighing in with pros, cons, predictions, misinformation, criticisms of Stetson in general and why the Stratoliner instead of another favorite model and what the price meant.

This would help Stetson how?

Actual news would be that it's available now (which it is not). And we'd see that in the dealer sites. And there's a fine line between that kind of news and advertising.

OTOH -

Stetson - if you're lurking - I'd buy a Stratliner reissue. :)

danofarlington

Hat news would certainly be interesting, but not sure any hat manufacturer would want to get into the inevitable and endless debates and arguments such an interactive forum would lead to. Especially when some of them don't talk about future offerings on their own web sites.

That is true, no doubt the reason they haven't jumped to enter forums like this one. But, maybe there could be some one-way communication like announcements, like on a bulletin board, to read. If the major manufacturers had nothing to say, the small shops might. Like Worth and Worth coming to Washington for a weekend with their wares, for instance. Or maybe Penman or VS or Custom Hatters want to announce a new product, or a sale, or something. You could work it so it's not interactive, so the companies wouldn't be drawn into back and forth with all of the hatwearers.

fmw

One Too Many
I frequent another forum in another industry that has manufacturer-specific forums that are managed and moderated by the manufacturers themselves. It works just fine. They can announce products or not as they see fit. They can delete posts that are out of line as moderators. They can get into discussions or things subjective as they see fit. They can ignore what they want. Mostly they answer questions and correct misinformation. The hat manufacturers may be different but I doubt it. They may or may not want to contribute. I don't know. But I don't think it has much to do with the industry.

I also operate a small forum myself. I almost always stay out of subjective debates. i answer questions and correct misinformation when I see it as positively as I can. I moderate the site, of course, with some help and keep things from getting out of line, much like the people that run this site. It isn't all that complex.

danofarlington

I frequent another forum in another industry that has manufacturer-specific forums that are managed and moderated by the manufacturers themselves. It works just fine. They can announce products or not as they see fit. They can delete posts that are out of line as moderators. They can get into discussions or things subjective as they see fit. They can ignore what they want. Mostly they answer questions and correct misinformation. The hat manufacturers may be different but I doubt it. They may or may not want to contribute. I don't know. But I don't think it has much to do with the industry.

I also operate a small forum myself. I almost always stay out of subjective debates. i answer questions and correct misinformation when I see it as positively as I can. I moderate the site, of course, with some help and keep things from getting out of line, much like the people that run this site. It isn't all that complex.

Well, I wish there was some accommodation to be made between TFL and hat manufacturers, from large to micro. I think there is a certain segment of the population starved for information. For heaven's sake, we're watching with relish every 1940s Hat Week article posted by rlk (very interesting as a matter of fact)--why not 2011? As a self-professed and proud Hat Geek, I want more info!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I just can't see how the makers could see it as anything but free, or low-cost, advertising and a way to build customer and brand loyalty.

I sometimes think they're laboring under some of the same misperceptions as the record industry, ie, that it's going to kill off their way of doing business and cost them...something. Who knows what.

One can understand an industry being unwilling to take risks. But not when the risks seem so small given the potential upside.

danofarlington

I just can't see how the makers could see it as anything but free, or low-cost, advertising and a way to build customer and brand loyalty.

I sometimes think they're laboring under some of the same misperceptions as the record industry, ie, that it's going to kill off their way of doing business and cost them...something. Who knows what.

One can understand an industry being unwilling to take risks. But not when the risks seem so small given the potential upside.

That's what I think. Unless they deliberately want people to not know about their products, or not want to connect with the most enthusiastic hat aficionados in an organized place. I guess it's a stealth marketing strategy. Or maybe the marketing directors need to change. If I'm the CEO of a hat manufacturer, I'd be asking, "what have you done for me lately, and have you maximized the opportunities we've had during your tenure?"

Retailers are another group that could benefit from some kind of communication with the hat community, even if it's one way. They are the ones the ordinary consumers deal with, and seemingly have a lot to gain by reaching out to the hat community. Although I admit they would want to think through their approach to TFL for best results.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
In a way the internet is anti-advertising. It robs the merchant of the ability to "spin" his product image, or to tie in with trends in the industry, and leaves it at the mercy of the consumer - who is not part of the industry and doesn't share all its interests.

That can be scary. It means the product has to be good enough in quality and value to earn its reputation.

On top of that, no one wants to think his business model depends on mis- or dis-information.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183