Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Aero Jacket looks best in Black ? - Need Opinions / Suggestions

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Looking for some opinions / suggestions from some of the more experienced folk here. I'm 5'9, 155lbs, 32 waist, athletic shoulders/upper body. Currently have a Pioneer Kudu hide in 38 reg (25inch back) that fits perfect. Fitted / tapered and drapes very well on me with some room for a thick long sleeve thermal. Now, I'm looking for a black aero jacket as its partner since I often wear black shoes/boots etc. Very casual dresser, jeans tshirts, not a flashy type. Even work attire is jeans / tucked in button up. What would be the best option from Aero in black (jacket model and hide). Thanks!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I asked myself this same question as well. For me, the answer was a modified Dustbow- (sans the front yokes, but add a chest pocket (very, very similar to the Original Hercules). The tumbled hide looks pretty killer, but like my man Schitzo suggested, part of the thrill of these jackets is the break-in process. Its like buying a pair of pre-distressed jeans or boots. Accordingly, I went with the standard FQHH. (Hopefully ill see it by the fall!)

Other awesome (and rather unique) option in black would be the Aeromarine. This features a slightly lighter hide (eg thickness of an A2), and will drape accordingly.

wanz

One of the Regulars
I have HWM in black FQHH and a Dustbowl in tumbled black. Love both of them. I also have a Pioneer in kudu. I think the choice comes down to what you are looking for from a style perspective. There is a decent amount of styling overlap between the Dustbowl and the Pioneer. If you're looking for a similar jacket, that's a solid choice. If you're looking for variety, my vote would be for the Highwayman.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
The Maxwell might be option, like the back design with the yoke / halfbelt. Not so sure on the buttons and one chest pocket. Usually prefer to be symmetric. That's probably why I enjoy the Pioneer so much, symmetry on the front and back. Think I'll also need to go with the black tumbled FQHH since I want something to drape similar to the softer kudu hide. Dustbowl also looks interesting but I'm not a fan and the drop front, would have to be level hem across the front and back. Keep the ideas coming and help feed my expensive newfound addiction!

wanz

One of the Regulars
Another question that you may want to ask is if you're really married to Aero. They are a great company (I own a number of their jackets), but this thread turned me on to a number of other manufacturers that I may not have otherwise considered:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?70362-Ultimate-Black-Leather-Jacket

FWIW, if you had asked which jacket looks best in black, I would have said the Buco J-100. Diamond Dave didn't disappoint.

schitzo

Suspended
since casual seems to be your thing it's hard to look past the highwayman. Or maybe a black happy days is a good shout?

Than again, maybe since your pioneer is a short one you might consider something else in a longer length for the next? In which case, with your athletic upper body, a black hercules might be good. Or for more casual perhaps a veste de rallye

Edward

Bartender
Any of the motorcycle oriented jackets will look fabulous in black. Black steer Highwayman:

My next Aero will be black - would consider a Thirties halfbet if I didn't already have a brown one. It might be a Speedster, a Pioneer, an Original Hercules, or a Dustbowl. Got to think....

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My HWM in vintage black FQHH.

905560C5-BA68-47D8-8CF7-815995377D68-501-0000008C238EBA42.jpg

4576E73B-8B09-447D-AEA6-7C92F203B1DF-501-0000008C2C152802.jpg

0B7389BA-0F92-439B-B76A-3687B02600BD-501-0000008C34378737.jpg

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Fanch, you got one fine Aero collection (especially cause they all seem to fit perfectly!)

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Hmm, if I could only get this thing to let me upload photos I could show you the fit I'm going for. Took a couple shots of my pioneer. I agree the highwayman is classic but think the half belt on the back of other jackets fits me pretty well. Also trying to avoid looking too bikerish considering I don't ride.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
In my opinion, the HWM and the Teamster are the two looking best in black. In fact, a HWM would be the jacket I'ld look for if I ever wanted a black leather-jacket, there's a mighty fine 48" steerhide on the sales page. But I'm through with jackets, Pioneer arriving and all.. .;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR