Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Christy - Adventurer, Knightsbridge, or Fedora?

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
I have given up on my quest for ~$100 navy fedora suitable for wear with suits and topcoats in normal inclement weather (i.e., no yard work and no torrential downpours).

However, it appears that I could get a Christy fedora for about $120 complete from overseas from Hornet Hats or Ascot Top Hats.

Since I want a 2 1/2 - 2 5/8 brim, high crown, navy fur felt, I am considering the Adventurer, Knightsbridge, and the Fedora models. I have a modified (brim narrowed) Akubra Squatter that I like very much and I would like the Christy to have a similar crown height and shape (i.e., straight sides).

I would greatly appreciate any feedback I could get on one or all of these three Christy models.

Some specific questions:

1) Is there any consensus on which of these three models has the least taper to the crown?

2) The Hornet website lists the respective crown heights in inches (A = 5 3/4, K = 5 3/4 , F = 4 5/8). Does this refer to the finished/creased crown height or the open crown height?

3) I have seen the threads on Hornet Hats, but can anyone comment on their experience with Ascot Top Hats?

4) Would anyone recommend a different vendor than HH or ATH to buy a Christy?

5) How would these Christy models stack up against this Biltmore Ark Fedora (http://www.hats-plus.com/p-732-biltmore-ark-fedora-hat.aspx) in terms of crown taper and overall durability? The Biltmore has a lowish crown and would cost about $20 more but has the advantage of being "local."

Thanks,

Johnny

carldelo

One Too Many
I recommend Hornets Hats, there were great to work with and my hat was made, shipped and arrived in the US in about 10 days. I suggest emailing them directly with your questions - I found them very responsive. They will modify ribbon size and color to your spec, generally without charge as the hats are made up after you place an order.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure the open-crown Adventurer has the least taper of the models you mention based on previous threads and my experience with a Marlborough, which is pretty tapered - many of the Christy's fedoras appear to have exactly the same block, like the Epsom, Whitney, Huntsman, etc.

The Biltmore Ark is a nice looking hat, haven't seen one in person - a return would certainly be much easier to a domestic vendor.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Of the models you mention, I know that the Adventurer will have the least taper. However, the lower crown of the Fedora might hide the difference. Also, the crown height of the Fedora might be closer to the Squatter you have.

The Biltmore shouldn't be any less in quality, but it might be slightly stiffer (but not cardboard stiff, by any means). Christy's fedoras have been said to be rather softer than most current production hat.
I've never owned "the Ark" but I've had Biltmores. Like the Christy's, I wouldn't want to wear them in the rain, but they nice dress hats. Also, the c-crown of the Ark will look less tapered than a center dent.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I have owned what I believe was essentially an Adventurer and it had very little taper - far less than I was accustomed to from other modern hats. The Knightsbridge, on the other hand, whilst a perfectly pleasant hat, has a fairly pronounced taper. I have never owned a Fedora but I suspect that it would fall somewhere between the two. I would also say that I think that reference on the Hornets site overestimates the open crown height of the Knightsbridge by about 1/2".

Here is a photograph of my Knightsbridge (not ideal for these purposes, I appreciate):

001-5.jpg

and here is the Adventurer-type:

Picture182.jpg

tom78

New in Town
NukeMeSlowly said:
All very helpful, gentlemen. Thank you.

Anyone else care to comment?

I tried all three. Ended up ebaying the Fedora and Knightsbridge. Both were too tapered and too low a crown for me. The Adventurer is excellent, but as a tip, I recommend trimming the brim if you like a slightly smarter (IMHO) look, similar (if you'll forgive the pop art reference!) to the proportions of the "Public Enemies" rather than the "Indiana Jones" look.

I now have four. Navy, Sable, Bessemer, light brown. In fact, just wore the Navy one in London SW1 today. It's a classic!

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
tom78 said:
I tried all three. Ended up ebaying the Fedora and Knightsbridge. Both were too tapered and too low a crown for me. The Adventurer is excellent, but as a tip, I recommend trimming the brim if you like a slightly smarter (IMHO) look, similar (if you'll forgive the pop art reference!) to the proportions of the "Public Enemies" rather than the "Indiana Jones" look.

I now have four. Navy, Sable, Bessemer, light brown. In fact, just wore the Navy one in London SW1 today. It's a classic!

Thanks. I have pretty much decided on the Adventurer - with a 2 1/2 inch brim (all the way around) and 5 3/4 crown height.

Just gotta hear back from the vendors I contacted. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic