Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which city is best for vintage?

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
So which city of the world do fellow loungers deem best for vintgage? London, LA, New York? Having just returned on Friday from the Big Smoke, I cast my vote for London!

url]

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I haven't really experienced any "vintage" of any other city (besides shopping in NYC, and it was WAY too expensive!), but I'm quite partial to LA. I think the look of the city is just great, so many old signs, and a lot of the old establishments are still around in one way or another (restaurants, theatres, etc.).

I don't find the vintage shopping to be terribly expensive, but there aren't nearly as many stores around that cater to 20's-40's as there are those that are for the more 60's-80's crowd.

There's always something going on, be it a car show or a night of rockabilly, whatever.

I don't know how it compares to other cities, but LA is a pretty great place!

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
LA has to be high on the list. Whenever I visit LA, I always fly in and out of the Long Beach Airport - with its great art deco architecture. Plus the Queen Mary is near by. I had my first dinner on the Queen Mary while visiting a conference last October. It was a real treat to enjoy dinner and dancing in the Queen Mary's ballroom.

Kimberly

Practically Family
I would have to go w/ L.A. in the states too. I just watched Pretty in Pink for the 100th time and even back in the 80's they were into the vintage scene.

I have also heard the Florida is good because of all the retirees who live there and then unfortunately for them, their time passes on and all of their pretties go to estate sales, vintage shops, thrifts, etc. I don't know that from experience, but people I know who visit there and like vintage seem to do well when visiting Florida.

Phil

A-List Customer
Oddly enough, I think Tokyo would do well. From what I understand from my friend who is doing an exchange there, a lot of adults and about half of teens wear suits or something close to it.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Kimberly said:
I would have to go w/ L.A. in the states too. I just watched Pretty in Pink for the 100th time and even back in the 80's they were into the vintage scene.

I have also heard the Florida is good because of all the retirees who live there and then unfortunately for them, their time passes on and all of their pretties go to estate sales, vintage shops, thrifts, etc. I don't know that from experience, but people I know who visit there and like vintage seem to do well when visiting Florida.

Estate sales here are incredible, as are the antique shops, secondhand stores....even Goodwill has some nice stuff.

As far as the vintage scene goes, I would think Jacksonville. It is big enough to have bands and clubs that cater to the vintage crowd, and far enough from S. FL so that it hasn't become too "MTV-ish".

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Emmababy said:
It's not Birmingham.
Raleigh, either

beaucaillou said:
One thing is for sure: definitely not Chicago.
?? Sorry to hear... Chicago's been moving up on my list of "cool places to visit", but it first got on the list after buying 3-DVD set of the best beginner swing vids I've seen, put out by Julee Mertz's "Big City Swing" company in Chicago; assumed that meant they have a vintage scene...

about_andrew.jpg

FedoraGent

One Too Many
San Francisco Vintage

San Francisco once upon a time was a great place for vintage, but it has become a shadow of itself. We do have 5 hat shops, 6 vintage clothing stores, 3 vintage clothing brokers but the Deco Ghetto (http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/decoghetto.shtml) has seen better days. We have the Art Deco and Modernism show twice a year, the Art Deco Society, First Church of Frank Sinatra and a couple of other things like Stompy Jones, Gaucho and others. I suppose it isn't as it was during the Nouveau Swing era (90s) but we still are kicking a bit.

My favorite just happens to be the large 78s Record Store in the Haight. It is definitely a must visit for folks while in the Bay Area.

FG.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Are we talking about great places to get stuff, or a city with a vintage atmosphere? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Brooklyn! I don't know about vintage stuff, but there are at least a few vintage shops. But the profile of the place itself is certainly a throwback.

Haversack

One Too Many
I'll be in London and Edinburgh the next couple weeks and plan on visiting Armstrongs, Hornets, and Old Hat. I'll report back on what I saw available.

Haversack.

rockyj

One of the Regulars
I'm with Dinerman

Yes, Toronto, next on my list St.Louis. The old Jazz and Blues places still have the looks and don't forget those Stylish Jaxsons

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
well, with the exception of 2 fabulous stores we have here, it's not Boston. Seattle has some very nice stores and quite a large scene. Austin, TX, however, is the best i've seen. tons and tons and TONS of vintage stores, and not only for clothing, but also for mid-century housewares and decor. i was there 2 weeks ago and didn't even come close to touching half of the vintage stores there. many of the women's clothes i found were in average sizes (not the super-tiny stuff i've seen most places), had the original belts, were in very good to mint condition, and were priced more reasonably than anyplace else i've been.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Cousin Hepcat said:
Raleigh, either

?? Sorry to hear... Chicago's been moving up on my list of "cool places to visit", but it first got on the list after buying 3-DVD set of the best beginner swing vids I've seen, put out by Julee Mertz's "Big City Swing" company in Chicago; assumed that meant they have a vintage scene...

about_andrew.jpg

CH, I was just referring to the vintage shopping there which is 1) over shopped, and 2) over priced.

Yes, there is a decent vintage scene there, though it is spread out. It's a brilliant town. The architecture alone is amazing, and don't get me started on the food, and the jazz...

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
beaucaillou said:
Yes, there is a decent vintage scene there, though it is spread out. It's a brilliant town. The architecture alone is amazing, and don't get me started on the food, and the jazz...
It just moved higher on the list, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari