Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

In my dad's senior pic, he's got the feathered hair, a large collared floral print shirt and some sort of awful navy jacket. (Class of 78) I take every chance I can to mock him for it.
Uh no. They didn't wear ties then, either, for school pictures.
I would love to see your prom pictures though---with that turquoise tux you wore. :p

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
The '80s were pretty hideous, I agree. Having grown up in them, I feel I can safely say that. I don't have any firsthand experience with the '70s, but the fabrics gross me out.

But the '80s....c'mon. Who decided we should look like print-challenged crossing guards? All that neon, and obsession with checkers, preferably paired with polka dots. I still laugh at old school photos, and family pics from back then. The music, on the other hand.... :)

I loved the '90s, but looking back, I have to agree that fashion turned really sloppy. I had my own slob uniform back then, and dressing up was a hippy-esque dress with Docs. Definitely different from my aesthetic nowadays.

Those neon colours are putrid! I still have my Docs..ive tried to part with em' but they ended up coming back!

Tatum

Practically Family
Yes, but I was the only kid in the 1990s wearing bell bottoms lol

No you weren't! I had mom's hand me downs that I wore... By choice. Also her homecoming dress, I wore that to prom.

Shazza, I still love mine. Great in the winter. But if I never see neon again, cheers! ;)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Maybe this has been brought up before, but we're probably very fortunate to live in times where staunch conservatism in style is no longer entirely necessary. In the current decade, and the last for example, there's this mentality that just about anything's alright to wear (however ridiculous it may look to others). I'm not in favor of the bad taste that's prevalent these days, but I am pretty tolerant of the general climate that fashion has led to. There's especially been more of an acceptance of the retro, old-fashioned looks that many of us here favor. Even a resurgence of some of the 1950s and '60s styles (the "Mad Men" look as an example. Sorry for those that hate that term, when referring to that era's style...). What do you think? Would you actually favor conformity to one or maybe a select handful of general styles, as had been largely the case in past decades? It just seems like we've reached a point where it's basically OK to be retro with regard to one's style, as opposed to ostracized by peers.

I dunno, they may be more accepting on the coasts, but it's tougher for those in the Midwest. Especially in rural environments. I country-fy my look to avoid issues. I'd much rather be in a 1950s Gray Flannel Suit most of my life, but it would get me pretty well shunned in this community.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I dunno, they may be more accepting on the coasts, but it's tougher for those in the Midwest. Especially in rural environments. I country-fy my look to avoid issues. I'd much rather be in a 1950s Gray Flannel Suit most of my life, but it would get me pretty well shunned in this community.

If you'd want to wear that style of suit, I'd recommend that you try to "transition" yourself into wearing it, so that it looks less, for lack of a better word, weird. People will eventually get used to the idea of you wearing one sometimes (if it is sometimes, just initially). When you get a hold of a nice looking flannel suit, you could try to make a habit of wearing it to church (if you do that), or for something important otherwise (court appearance, etc). So I think the idea is to get people used to it, if you'd like to wear one.

I know what I've been doing the past three years (funny, I sort of had it planned too) was transitioning myself to wear nicer clothes, but gradually, so as to make it look less weird, like I'm all of a sudden wearing dress shirts or chinos rather than t-shirts or baggy shorts.

You should embrace the traditional country look, though. I've always thought that it's cool, and a classic part of American culture.

I'm a simple man and don't go nowhere fancy. I don't go to Church since I don't got a woman to drag my butt there anymore lol (even though I should go) I am hoping if I ever get my butt into college and get a good professional job, I will be wearing a suit.

I do enjoy the country look. Love my plaid jackets and western shirts and cowboy boots.

If you'd want to wear that style of suit, I'd recommend that you try to "transition" yourself into wearing it, so that it looks less, for lack of a better word, weird. People will eventually get used to the idea of you wearing one sometimes (if it is sometimes, just initially). When you get a hold of a nice looking flannel suit, you could try to make a habit of wearing it to church (if you do that), or for something important otherwise (court appearance, etc). So I think the idea is to get people used to it, if you'd like to wear one.

I know what I've been doing the past three years (funny, I sort of had it planned too) was transitioning myself to wear nicer clothes, but gradually, so as to make it look less weird, like I'm all of a sudden wearing dress shirts or chinos rather than t-shirts or baggy shorts.

You should embrace the traditional country look, though. I've always thought that it's cool, and a classic part of American culture.

I'm a simple man and don't go nowhere fancy. I don't go to Church since I don't got a woman to drag my butt there anymore lol (even though I should go) I am hoping if I ever get my butt into college and get a good professional job, I will be wearing a suit.

I do enjoy the country look. Love my plaid jackets and western shirts and cowboy boots.

Who says us guys out on the coast don't wear cowboy boots? You never heard of the wild west? :p
:rofl:

everyone trying to look like "Tough Trash "

That is still the theme today. So many teens, twenty somethings and thirty somethings are going out of their way to look like something along the tough trash style. Lets look like a criminal, delinquent, evil, scuzzy, drug addict, skanky, scary person and then get have an attitude like it's some sort of political statement.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That is still the theme today. So many teens, twenty somethings and thirty somethings are going out of their way to look like something along the tough trash style. Lets look like a criminal, delinquent, evil, scuzzy, drug addict, skanky, scary person and then get have an attitude like it's some sort of political statement.

Maybe this is a bit different, it does seem to be a similar idea behind that, but at the risk of being ridiculous, I was initially into the fedora style of hat because of it's gangster, tough guy associations. The Mafia, and all... Of course, the detectives and lawmen assigned to bring them behind bars were just as cool, too. It helped that I'm a huge fan of The Godfather series of films.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner