Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which "Indy" should I choose?

mourazav

New in Town
Hey everyone. I'm new to hats but I've always wanted one like my dad and grandpa. They've worn Stetson's but with the new Indiana Jones movie coming out, its revamped my urge to get one.
I'm specifically looking for an Indiana Jones style fedora. I bought the official one while at Disney, but to be honest, I don't like it - it's way to stiff. I'm looking for something that will hold up to the elements and one that is soft enough, not cardboard stiff like the one I bought from Disney. I'm looking at Adventurbilt but I wanted to ask the experts. Therefore my question is which kind of Indy style fedora should I choose and what should I be looking for?

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Well, I'll give you my two cents. :)

I say go for the Adventurbilt. I'm doing the layaway option currently to get mine. But based on the rave reviews I have read here plus the fact that it is THE Indy hat in the new movie, I was sold. Of course, since I don't have mine yet I can't answer some of your questions; I'm sure others that have will chime in with reviews on how the hat feels and how they hold up over time and such.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
When I checked with Steve back in January, the wait time was 8-9 months. I am not sure how that has changed now. It's probably best if you email Steve and ask.

fletch31

Familiar Face
about a year these days. Order before the movie comes out though as the price will be shooting up per Steve to slow down his workload.

Feraud

Bartender
The Akubra Federation Deluxe is an alternative. The Fed is a tough good looking that to be had for significantly less money and delivery time.

mourazav

New in Town
I've taken a look at them but you have to bash them yourself and I'm new at this. I'm a little intimidated. Also, another question, are all these hats stiff like the piece of crap that I bought earlier, or should I not be worried?

Feraud

Bartender
mourazav said:
I've taken a look at them but you have to bash them yourself and I'm new at this. I'm a little intimidated. Also, another question, are all these hats stiff like the piece of crap that I bought earlier, or should I not be worried?

Shaping a hat is no problem at all. A little steam from a kettle to soften the felt and you can shape it to whatever style you want.

The AB and Federation Deluxe are stiff when new. A felt stiffener is used to help keep the shape. The hats will soften with handling.

fletch31

Familiar Face
Yes, the AB is made from 100% beaver which is a better quality felt that will be more taper resistant. However, the Akubra's are made with some of the best rabbit felt around and are pretty dang tough. You just may need to reblock it in the future if it gets soaking wet. Beaver hats taper as well but are much more resistant to it if it is the good stuff that Art and Steve use. Steve and Marc also use some pre-aging process that may cut down on taper as well. I dont know if it is proven though. Indy's hats in prior movies were rabbit felt hats and as you know Indy IV's are beaver :)

warbird

One Too Many
Get the Fed now and order an AB for the future. He doesn't bill till he's on your order if I recall.

The fed is a great hat and mine has been soaked numerous times w/o the least bit of taper. The fed is far superior ot the official hat its not even funny. Any of these hats, Akubra, AB, Kepler, HJ Poet, JP designs any will be superior to that. The fed is inexpensive enough now get one now and have it in a week and order the AB for a yr from now.

Overall they are all great hats and I'm sure the AB is probably the best of the bunch but I wouldn't say by a ton. For the money you can buy 3 Feds in different colors. Beaver is superior to rabbit, but Akubra are made with wild hare which is superior to standard rabbit.

Bashing is not in the least bit difficult, don't worry about that. There are plenty of people around here to help with that.

As was said earlier the fed and AB are stiff initially, but man do they soften up nicely. Oh and the fed can be shaped with misted water, in fact I think they shape better with that than steam even.

Feraud

Bartender
mourazav said:
Is there a big difference in quality between the AB and the Federation Deluxe?
To be honest, someone who is new to hats probably would not know the difference. :)

There are quite a few thread on the AB, Federation, and other brands. If money is a factor you might be interested in one of the less expensive hats.
A bit of reading from the older threads will make you an expert on every available brand of hat.

Do not exclude seeking a vintage fedora. That would be most like your dad and grandfather's hat.

Molorom

Familiar Face
I can't say enough good things about Akubra hats.
I own a snowy river, and a Bushman. I've had the snowy river
for 6 years or so, and its just starting to die out on me now.
I've worn it almost every day, and in all kinds of weather. It has
been frozen solid 6 times, stomped in mud, ground into dirt, and left
to rot in a swamp. (by accident....)
And I'm the 3rd owner. Its probably around more like 9 years old, and its only worn out now, because I handle the pinch too roughly. If I hadn't been squeezing on it all the time, the hat would still be going strong, and it still is. Theres just a small hole in the pinch.

In a way, I guess they are also adventure built hats as well. I bought the Akubra from someone in NH who had the hat re-Blocked by Steve delk as a raiders fedora.

Over the years I have had it re-blocked by Steve about 4 times. And his service has always been great.

Bottom line, akubras are great hats for the money. But if you have the cash, AB's are great hats as well. I've handled about 10 different versions of them, and they are class, all super hats IMHO.

But as Feraud said,
vintage hats are great too. I've got a few of them and they are sharp. They are generally cheaper than a new hat as well.
All just my personal experiences....hopefully that helps.

ed_bollix

New in Town
Adventurer

Don't forget to have a look at the Adventurer at David Morgan. A very nice hat with US shipping cost... I had to return mine for size and I was very happy not to have to ship it to AU.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra is releasing a new updated version of the Federation (may already be out). It's blocked on a pre-war block that was found in the Akubra warehouse so it will have legitimate claim to that vintage look.

Also, Steve and Marc of Adventurebilt are working on doing their own version of a factory hat. Because of their standards they've run into various roadblocks, so it's not an active option yet, but it will be a nice option if/when it happens.

You might also consider Camptown, which some have spoken very well of.

For a hat on your head ASAP order one of the new Federations. Then place an order with Steve Delk before the movie premiere in May. When your AB comes you can use your Federation as a back-up hat.

Welcome to the Lounge and good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran