Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Presidents Wore Hats>?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Lyndon-Johnson-Rolex-President.jpg

Last edited:

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Can people dig up any other pictures of JFK carrying or wearing a hat as President besides the ones I dug up?

Also, any rare pictures of any Presidents since LBJ wearing a hat (besides the Reagan and Bush cowboy hat pictures)?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
My favorite shot of a President in an "Open Road" is not LBJ - it's Ike here wearing his over a sumptuous raw silk sport coat.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now that's just something you wouldn't see these days on a President. Not just the hat, but also the style of sport coat. Has Obama (or Bush) worn anything that bold in a public appearance? For a politician, that's out there, although stylish.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Slight Political comment. I was born in 1961 so I don't remember much about LBJ, most of my reading about him has been Robert Caro's books, so I find I don't like him much. On the other hand, LBJ was comfortable and confident wearing his hats and looked good wearing them. From PICTURES, JFK wasn't as comfortable wearing his hats, or at least wasn't comfortable getting his picture taken wearing one. It seems that there are more pictures of JFK holding a hat than JFK wearing one.

I don't remember the pictures of G.W. Bush in the cowboy hat, but he did look comfortable wearing it. I don't remember EVER seeing Clinton in any hat, Gore either. The picture of Obama wearing the el cheapo cowboy hat is weird. The hat fits his face fairly well, but he expression says differently...

"Tom Mix thought he was Calvin Coolidge", love it.

Later

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
I wish I knew the proper source of the Ike shot - obviously a posed outdoor portrait, but I just love how self assured he is as Supreme Commander 5 Star General Conquerer of Europe/U.S. President/Kansas rancher he dons this nubby raw silk blue-and-silver sport coat over a sky blue shirt and fine blue-and-silver silk tie that match his piercing blue eyes - - and then plops on his obviously well-worn Open Road (or Resistol DFW/SA? like LBJ he was a Texas native). Now that is cool!

Here is President Eisenhower in a Homburg with Francisco Franco, Madrid 1959:
Ike in uniform with Winston Churchill in his very tall bowler: Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Here is JFK posing in a special Rice Festival fedora at Crowley, LA 1959. It appears to be an open Road or Stratoliner style w/ thin ribbon and bound brim, with plenty of rice glued on.

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
HST receives presidential OR or clone (Resistol San Antonio/Dalworth?) from LBJ. Note custom crease with small side dents.

LBJ and HHH on horseback with their silverbelly OR/SA's. (Hubert H. Humphrey)

LBJ was definitely big on those silverbelly OR/SA's as presentation gifts, symbolic of "real men in charge". And here he is whooping it up in the saddle (or just screaming "Whoa!). Whether or not you like his politics, he was definitely a proud Texan who loved his hats.

Last edited:

Abraham

One of the Regulars
What if a Future US President Always Wore a Hat?

What would happen if a future US President always wore a hat? Presume he was a handsome, well-liked man (work with me) who had outstanding taste in clothes. Would such a president possibly rekindle the wearing of hats in the USA?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
It's possible. When an iconic figure does somthing, there are always those who want to look like said person. If a modern pop star was to dress one way, the fans would do the same. If one was to prefer a specific color, there would be those whom would like that color ONLY because the famous person prefers it.

People are very interesting when it comes to those whom have fame. Espically in todays society, where the younger generations seem to feed off of it, and want to look like those they see on T.V., and hear on the radio...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Just a thought, but since Obama got a second term for example, wouldn't a President in his position be able to get away with things like this more without worrying about alienating future voters? Is there some kind of rule that forces the President to conform to strict standards? President Bush got away with wearing cowboy hats at times, even with a suit.

I've seen a picture of him accepting a black fedora (he was given a cowboy hat before he was elected too) from a hat maker in San Francisco, but it could be that he is just not interested or had given it thought.

Landman

One Too Many
What would happen if a future US President always wore a hat? Presume he was a handsome, well-liked man (work with me) who had outstanding taste in clothes. Would such a president possibly rekindle the wearing of hats in the USA?

I think it could definitely rekindle hat wearing. I believe hat wearing is already starting to rekindle slowly. I see a lot of commercials these days with younger people in them wearing a hat. They are usually cheap stingy brim hats though.

I think a US President like you described wearing a good quality fedora on a daily basis could really set off hat wearing again. I'm sure the press would report what type of hat it is and who makes it, etc. etc.

George W. Bush often wore a cowboy hat at his ranch and looked good in it...but that is a cowboy hat and something most urban Americans would never wear (his popularity too is also another issue). Now a classy looking fedora would be totally different and something the whole country could get into.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
JFK enroute to announce his candidacy, January 1960
jfkhat1.jpg

JFK enroute to the hospital (while Jackie was pregnant with John John), December 1960:
u1257966.jpg

Enroute to his inauguration:
byb-jfk-inauguration-day-3383c6663232327ffp463dot3e232_3d63b3c3d8783dxroqdf3e23234737352_6ot1lsi.jpg

JFK in February 1961:
JFK-leaving.jpg

JFK wearing a fedora at Camp David, April 1961
JFK-Wearing-a-Fedora.jpg

Opening Day, April 1961
JFKandLBJwearingFedoras.jpg

Date unknown:
president-kennedy-wearing-a-fedora-he-everett.jpg

LBJ wearing Stetson, 1964
de09212e11f95072_large-661x1024.jpg

LBJ wearing fedora, 1964
_wsb_506x377_1aphoto1.jpg