Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which religious group?

Which religion?

• Athiest/Agnostic/None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baptist

• Catholic

• Jewish

• Protestant

• Methodist

• Jehovah's Witness

• Mormon/Christ Scientist

• Islam

• Hindu/Buddist/Eastern

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foofoogal

Banned
I know thy works, that thou art neither hot nor cold: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then, because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, Iwill spue thee out of my mouth.

Who do you think is speaking here.

Apostle, Disciple? What difference does it make in the point I was trying to make. They did have differences.
I know an apostle plants churches.

Maybe just the Church of Christ in Texas adheres to that rule? [huh]

I am sorry if I came off strong in any of my postings. I do see different religions as stated like restaurants. My Christianity is very serious to me.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I don't know how this fits in (if it does) ...

We, as rational beings, sometimes find it hard to believe what we can't see (e.g. God). BUT we'll deny even what we see if it contradicts the preconceptions we believe (on both sides of the issue!!!).

C.S. Lewis gave a great example: he knew a woman who did not believe in any sort of afterlife. Yet, she was the only person he ever knew to have seriously and honestly claimed to have seen a ghost.
What did she really see? Who knows, but she was able to simultaneously believe that she had seen a ghost AND that a ghost could not exist.

I find it fascinating that, in time, we can disbelieve even our own experiences ... A lot of us may have seen or experienced something that could only be the work of God, but we didn't recognize it as such because it didn't fit exactly into our preconceived view of things, so our brains "rationalized" it away.

I know I have, though I may be just crazy.

Bebop

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
Who do you think is speaking here.

Apostle, Disciple? What difference does it make in the point I was trying to make. They did have differences.
I know an apostle plants churches.

Maybe just the Church of Christ in Texas adheres to that rule? [huh]

I am sorry if I came off strong in any of my postings. I do see different religions as stated like restaurants. My Christianity is very serious to me.

I am sorry but I find it hilarious that someone very serious about their religion, compares religions to restaurants. lol No insult intended, I just think the statement is funny. :) I keep thinking, "if the food is good, sit down and have a bite. Otherwise, go find another restaurant". What would an atheist restaurant look like? Just chairs, no food? lol

carter

I'll Lock Up
To the unseen observer:

Is there a cartoonist among us?

"Under all speeech that is good for anything there lies a silence that is better. Silence is deep as Eternity; speech is shallow as Time."
Thomas Carlyle

Bebop said:
I am sorry but I find it hilarious that someone very serious about their religion, compares religions to restaurants. lol No insult intended, I just think the statement is funny. :) I keep thinking, "if the food is good, sit down and have a bite. Otherwise, go find another restaurant". What would an atheist restaurant look like? Just chairs, no food? lol
Certainly no Bread & Wine!

carter

I'll Lock Up
"Nothing is easier than self-deceit. or what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true."
Demosthenes

I wish for loaves and fishes, an end to quarreling, and a good night's sleep.

:fedora:

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
Thanks Foofster. And I enjoy your good humor and Gilbey's passion and enthusiasm too. Vive la difference!

Just taking a backseat and enjoying my popcorn lol

But I back up Foofster 100%. If she held her peace, the stones would immediately cry out.

Foofoogal

Banned
I am glad everyone is enjoying themselves especially Bebop. Bebop in case you missed it I posted about restaurants in full a few pages back.
------------------------
Now back to the program and my answer to Samsa.
I realized along the way after I posted my answer to him that as a Catholic he truly may of thought the Ask and you shall receive was my opinion.
I wanted to state to him it is in the Bible.
http://www.topical-bible-studies.org/07-0007.htm
Luke 11:9
----
On that note, maybe it is just that simple. If someone wouldn't or doesn't believe they will not ask.

I asked Jesus to help me as I was a mess, then I asked Him to please let me know Him and who He was. Then I asked for the Holy Spirit.

I knocked and Jesus is the Door and the Bread and the Wine. (Eat of His Body He stated Himself several times in several places in the Bible which is Him.) (In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God and became flesh and dwelt among us.)

Hmm. Interesting.
--------------

S

Samsa

Foofoogal said:
Now back to the program and my answer to Samsa.
I realized along the way after I posted my answer to him that as a Catholic he truly may of thought the Ask and you shall receive was my opinion.
I wanted to state to him it is in the Bible.
http://www.topical-bible-studies.org/07-0007.htm
Luke 11:9
----

Not meaning to sound snarky, but I am certainly aware of that scripture passage, and am no stranger to the Bible; I have read it front to back, Genesis to Revelation. I used to pray the Divine Office, which is essentially nothing BUT scripture. I have several translations and have spent hours reading and rereading scripture, especially the Gospels and the Psalms. There is a perception among Protestants that Catholics do not know their Bible. There is some truth in this, partly due to a difference in theology, partly due to lukewarmness. That said, the average Mass-going Catholic gets quite a bit of scripture on a weekly (or, depending on how often they go to Mass, daily) basis.

Foofoogal

Banned
I apologize Samsa. I was just clarifying that. I do know many Catholics that do not read the Bible and never have or prayed directly to God. Some that pray more to Mary than others.
I have respect for the Catholic church as I married into a whole family of them and in fact my mother was Catholic at one time. Nothing is more beautiful than Midnight Mass IMHO.
One thing I have found of course like with many other churches is it depends on the Priest at the moment. Many people don't even realize there are several different masses or teachings (don't know the right word) for the Day of Pentecost sermon. I don't want to go there but feel this is where the Charismatic Catholics come from. BTW there is a huge CC church in Houston.
Many do not also know even that the whole Charismatic church came out of the Catholic church.

I am still trying to wrap my brain around the whole idea of this thread.
I tend to be passionate about everything. I like the idea about the gene theory and will look into it. I am French, Cherokee and Scottish (from the Stewart clan like the Brave Heart people) All of these people went thru rejection and stuff. I could easily see genetics playing a role.
I also am fascinated with the whole being in a particular area. Of course if everyone around you as Doran sort of hinted at one would not believe if everyone else didn't either or vise versa. I see this on both sides. Crowd mentality. I learned this in Sociology class somewhat.

I personally just go with Psalms 22 with Jesus on the cross. He called me His Darling and always does. Now what lady can resist that from the ultimate lover? lol

carter

I'll Lock Up
Jewish friends - High Holy Days

Today is the first day of Rosh Hashannah, the head or first of the year, for those of the Jewish faith.

The next ten days, beginning with Rosh Hashannah and concluding with Yom Kippur, are commonly known as the Days of Awe or the Days of Repentance. One of the customs during this period of ten days is to seek reconciliation with people you may have wronged during the course of the year and righting those wrongs if possible.

Yom Kippur, the "Day of Atonement", will occur on September 22 on the Roman Calendar. This is a day set aside to "afflict the soul", to atone for one's sins against G-d over the year past. In order to do this, sins against man must have been atoned for previously.

From Judaism 101

Blessed is He Who Comes in the Name of Peace.

zaika

One Too Many
Ramadan also begins today! I don't know if anyone here is Moslem, but I thought I'd throw that out there as well.

Also...my two cents in the form of my favorite quote. I thought it was first said by St. John of Kronstadt, but I double checked...and it's a famous one from Plato. :rolleyes: Still...it's the best bit of advice to live by, I think.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

Athiests, Christians, Jews, Moslems, Hindu...let's heed this advice. We may not agree with each other, and indeed we don't HAVE to, but we can be kind and 'live and let live.' :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by zaika
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
Plato

Athiests, Christians, Jews, Moslems, Hindu...let's heed this advice. We may not agree with each other, and indeed we don't HAVE to, but we can be kind and 'live and let live.'

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

zaika

One Too Many
surely said:
yeah, right on Zalka. Now all we need is, what, 90% of the world's population to listen and learn.

lol, right. i know! let's start our own religion...!

at least we can be responsible for own behaviours...and that's something, i guess.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Speaking of the Muslim faith...

I have an anecdote I'd like to share with you folks and this ties in with religion as well as Ramadan.

When I was a student at Iowa State University, my roommate came late in the first semester. He was a 15 year old Egyptian boy majoring in some pretty heady stuff (he was enrolled in graduate level courses at the time). As a practicing Muslim, he observed all customs, etc.

We were roommates for three years. During our second year, while observing Ramadan , I think it was November, I was interested in his practices; I wanted to gain as much knowledge of a new culture as I could. He was always happy to explain Islam to me and he said, "There is a day during Ramadan when the Earth cleanses itself. No matter where you are, there will be a light rain for a few hours. This is one miracle God gives us."

I assure you, as an agnostic raised Catholic, I was not ready for what occurred.

It had been snowing quite heavily that week, Sunday through Wednesday, when, around 9pm central US time, Ahmed nonchalantly got my attention and asked me to come with him to the window. I got up from my book and looked out the window with him, and sure as it had been snowing all day, it was raining very lightly. Needless to say, I had chills run up and down my spine.

The same thing occurred the very next year, during another odd time in Iowa weather. I called it coincidence. He called it Faith. Nevertheless, it was very interesting.

BTW, I cannot read enough of about Jesus in the Gospels. Are there any books written that ONLY have Jesus’ quotes? And I don’t mean stuff about him, or stuff people comment on. I’m just looking for a book of quotes attributed directly to Jesus.

Bebop

Practically Family
Undertow said:
I have an anecdote I'd like to share with you folks and this ties in with religion as well as Ramadan.

When I was a student at Iowa State University, my roommate came late in the first semester. He was a 15 year old Egyptian boy majoring in some pretty heady stuff (he was enrolled in graduate level courses at the time). As a practicing Muslim, he observed all customs, etc.

We were roommates for three years. During our second year, while observing Ramadan , I think it was November, I was interested in his practices; I wanted to gain as much knowledge of a new culture as I could. He was always happy to explain Islam to me and he said, "There is a day during Ramadan when the Earth cleanses itself. No matter where you are, there will be a light rain for a few hours. This is one miracle God gives us."

I assure you, as an agnostic raised Catholic, I was not ready for what occurred.

It had been snowing quite heavily that week, Sunday through Wednesday, when, around 9pm central US time, Ahmed nonchalantly got my attention and asked me to come with him to the window. I got up from my book and looked out the window with him, and sure as it had been snowing all day, it was raining very lightly. Needless to say, I had chills run up and down my spine.

The same thing occurred the very next year, during another odd time in Iowa weather. I called it coincidence. He called it Faith. Nevertheless, it was very interesting.

BTW, I cannot read enough of about Jesus in the Gospels. Are there any books written that ONLY have Jesus’ quotes? And I don’t mean stuff about him, or stuff people comment on. I’m just looking for a book of quotes attributed directly to Jesus.

What? Light rain in November? Amazing!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara