Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Vintage Ads Still Work on You?

16_sparrows

Vendor
With all the OTR shows we love, we also get a heavy dose of their sponsors ads and tend to memorize their jingles (Signal gasoline anyone?). Which ads, if you were living during the airing of the show, would work on you and make you go out and buy the product?

For me, it is Anchor Hawking, who sponsors "Casey, Crime Photographer." Their ad for the jadite glassware from their Fire King line really got into my brain - next thing I know, I'm on Ebay bidding on jadite mixing bowls!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I eat Grape Nuts Flakes every morning, and have for many years -- because Don Wilson made them sound so good, so crispy, crunchy, and sweet-as-a-nut.

I have been sorely tempted to try eating three cakes daily of Fleischmann's Yeast because Dr. R. E. Lee makes it sound so beneficial on the Rudy Vallee hour. And he's a real doctor and all, with a white coat and a goatee and nose glasses, so he must be right. But the stuff tastes so awful I could barely choke down one cake, let alone three a day.

zaika

One Too Many
The Jell-O ads stay with me. The other day I was at the market and had it in my mind to see what kind of Jell-O they sold these days. lol I haven't eaten Jell-O in years.

I think I'm fascinated by the way they pronounce the "O" in Jell-O. My grandmother says it that way...very pronounced 'O' made way back in the throat instead of in the mouth like most of us do today, with rounded lips instead of almost closed lips.

But the ads that nearly convince me that their product is the best...is Lux soap. [huh] We can't get that anymore, can we?

Flivver

Practically Family
If I see a fly in the room I'm always tempted to reach for a sprayer of Flit (Quick Henry...the Flit!).

As a non-smoker I'm not likely to reach for a Lucky instead of a sweet but it *would* be fun, just once to "Call for Philip Mor-RACE"

And it would be great to try out that BIG NEW '36 Dodge or that '34 Studebaker that's "styled for the skyway but powered for the speedway".

But the advertising that *really* works on me are the ads for radio receivers in 1920s radio magazines. These have caused me to lust after many an old radio. For example (from 1924):

"Ask Santa to bring you a Kennedy!" I've tried many times but I guess he just didn't hear me.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I agree with J-E-L-L-O with five delicious flavours. Here it touted on radio shows has made it stuck in my mind. I think when I buy it is because the ads are stuck in my mind.
I would buy Swan Soap and Petri Wine for the same reasons but can't find them.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Sunny

One Too Many
Wrigley's Spearmint Chewing Gum! Oh, yes.

And the Pepsi jingle from c. 1960 Johnny Dollar is waaaay too catchy. "Stay young and fair and debonair... Be sociable - have a Pepsi!"

16_sparrows

Vendor
zaika said:
But the ads that nearly convince me that their product is the best...is Lux soap. [huh] We can't get that anymore, can we?

You can still get Lux soap! I saw it in a hardware store, of all places, but Vermont Country Store carries it.

The Wolf: I too have wondered how Petri wine tastes, but I have never seen it.

zaika

One Too Many
16_sparrows said:
You can still get Lux soap! I saw it in a hardware store, of all places, but Vermont Country Store carries it.

The Wolf: I too have wondered how Petri wine tastes, but I have never seen it.

:eusa_clap yay!! i'm getting some! lol thank you so much for the link!

Naphtali

Practically Family
Anyone remember this adverisement?

This may be the best place to identify an old radio ad, and to obtain a copy/script.

In the 1960s, I believe, there was an advertisement for Lorsban (spelling??) herbicide/pesticide. This 30-second spot was broadcast, for sure in the Midwest (Missouri), perhaps elsewhere.

Gist of the ad was a farmer, on his tractor describing the problem with "giant" cutworms. Throughout the ad he had a side conversation with his dog, Blue, whom we could hear roaming the field. After touting benefits of Lorsban, the advertisement ended with the farmer plaintively calling, "Blue? Blue?" The implication was that the giant cutworms had gotten Blue.

Can anyone help me locate this humorous ad? It was comparable with a Stan Freeburg-composed advertisement that actually directed the listener toward the product rather than was merely entertaining.

alexandra

Practically Family
zaika said:
I think I'm fascinated by the way they pronounce the "O" in Jell-O. My grandmother says it that way...very pronounced 'O' made way back in the throat instead of in the mouth like most of us do today, with rounded lips instead of almost closed lips.

Ha! There are so many pronunciations that I've tried to pick up from my Granny and from old films. I try and talk like it sometimes but everyone I know makes fun of me because I sound like an idiot.

zaika

One Too Many
alexandra said:
Ha! There are so many pronunciations that I've tried to pick up from my Granny and from old films. I try and talk like it sometimes but everyone I know makes fun of me because I sound like an idiot.

ha! we could be twins. twins in dorkery. lol lol
i also am trying to modify my speech to that of my grandma! it seems full and melodic...soft...and just interesting to listen to. comparing it to the standard accent most folks have adopted these days is like comparing soda without the fizz. know what i mean?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use Wildroot Cream Oil. In the jingle Charlie is advised to use it as it contains lanolin. The ad also recommends it for women and children. It's for dry hair, which I have.
Oh, I get mine at KMart.
No Jell-O for me; I got sick on it once as a child. I can still remember seeing the purple...never mind.

Snookie

Practically Family
Another vote for Jell-O, although for me it's the Jell-O Puddings. What are they, chocolate, vanilla, and butterscotch? Gives me serious cravings.

16_sparrows

Vendor
I was listening to Dragnet last night and heard the Wild Root "Charlie" jingle. Made me think of this thread and whether anyone still used it. Good to know BegintheBeguine - how well does it work on hair?

Hmmm...I haven't had Jell-o in years. Now I'm craving the pudding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot