Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Whipped' by Our Wives?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

I've seen countless posts in the "Hats" and "Merchants" sections in which male Loungers say they have to hide their purchases from their wives or significant others. At least some of these posts must be serious.

So ... are you 'whipped' when it comes to expenses? Don't fib: at least some of you are. (By whipped, I don't mean careful with expenses: I mean sneaky, out of fear of being scolded by one's partner.)

Feraud

Bartender
It's all good.
Pic1-2.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:

I've seen countless posts in the "Hats" and "Merchants" sections in which male Loungers say they have to hide their purchases from their wives or significant others. At least some of these posts must be serious.

So ... are you 'whipped' when it comes to expenses? Don't fib: at least some of you are. (By whipped, I don't mean careful with expenses: I mean sneaky, out of fear of being scolded by one's partner.)

I imagine most posts are being facetious. But I am sure there are some here who have to justify or trade for the right to spend scarce resources on a new hat. Is that whipped, or just good relations? I don't know.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
April Fools

This kind of ties in. My girlfriend hated my fedoras at first, but now can't imagine me without a hat, and I completely won her over to hats when I brought home a 50-yr old Borsalino the other day...still, she is of the opinion that I need about 1/20th of what I plan to eventually gather. So...

She has been trying to get me to join her for a VERY expensive trip to Denmark, and I have told her it costs too much. This morning I called her and was all excited about the new $900 straw hat that I was able to purchase for only $600. I assured her that I could probably sell it in the future for at least that much, given how long they take to make. As planned, she was not amused :)

Anyone else pull this sort of stunt on their spouses?

CopperNY

A-List Customer
my wife loves my shift from "tactical thug" to "vintage-inspired".

the only thing she can't abide is pleated pants, and we're negotiating that one. "there's just too much going on in your crotch". :)

she's behind any purchase that involves style and quality.

although, i must confess, she balks at the price of leather jackets and "would rather not know, as long as the bills are paid and you love it".

The Shirt

Practically Family
I lie. He doesn't have any concept of what a vintage dress would cost. He lies about what his 1959 Chevy corvette parts cost. We both happily accept that ignorance is bliss. I won't understand why he spends $100 on some tiny vintage little thingamajig for a car and he won't understand why I spend $100 on a vintage hawaiian shaheen dress. As long as we have money at the end of the day to pay our bills, take a nice vacation and a night or two out, why ruin our system. We're both whipped I'd say. At least I'm not hiding the purchases in the trunk of the car like my mother did.

Hide..Whipped..Scolded

These kind of experiences are related on most forums often to the actual glee of those doing so. Relationships that really seem quite agreeable or the norm for many. Others surely sit back and shake their heads and cringe at the Mommy..little boy lifestyles and feel fortunate that isn't a requirement or seemingly a necessity in their partnerships.
...but whatever floats your boat...
HD

Foofoogal

Banned
This would also be determined by upbringing I would tend to think.
To those who would never dream of being "whipped" by the wives due to culture differences I would see where this would be amazing.
I personally never hide my purchases. My mother hid stuff from my dad and I hated it.
I do agree with HoosierDaddy and know this is how some people live.
I know some men that don't have wives that whip them and they should be whipped. lol
A good woman keeps a good man in line. lol

As long as we have money at the end of the day to pay our bills, take a nice vacation and a night or two out, why ruin our system. We're both whipped I'd say. At least I'm not hiding the purchases in the trunk of the car like my mother did.
Yep, it is all a personal thing.

irb

Familiar Face
While She Who Must Be Obeyed balks at my drover coat, luckily for me she understands the necessity of a man to wear a good hat. She's even been supportive of my latent drooling over Panamabob's hats. I suspect her objections stem more from aesthetics than cost, which I can appreciate.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
Easy Answer

My husband and I decided from the get-go that we have a joint household bank account, and we have separate individual accounts. We then put half of whatever we make into the house account to pay bills, etc. and the other half we spend any which way we want. It makes us both happy and responsible, since we don't have to hide anything from each other!

RD

JJWord

Familiar Face
Mine is a self-inflicted pain. I'm frugal, or as one of my friend's calls it "a cheap ba***rd". I try to manage the household expenses, even more so recently as my wife lost her job several weeks ago. In that I tend to observe and complain alot about how we handle the money, ie, we don't need to go out to lunch 2-3 days a week.

Therefore, I can't complain about how much money she's spending on lunches out, bags, beads (she and her sisters like to make jewelry), etc while we're on reduced income, if I go and buy a hat or a video game that I really don't need for survival.

Therefore, I don't hide things from the wife but I do admit to passing on purchases, with the first thought going through my head being "this isn't worth the X days of yelling".

JJWord

Familiar Face
KilroyCD said:
I can't comment on this because I'm not married. But when people ask me if I'm married, I reply; "No, I'm still happy."

Oh I'm very happy, but I'm also on my 2nd marriage. So 6-years-ago me would completely agree with you.

CherryKrissy

Familiar Face
Red Diabla said:
My husband and I decided from the get-go that we have a joint household bank account, and we have separate individual accounts. We then put half of whatever we make into the house account to pay bills, etc. and the other half we spend any which way we want. It makes us both happy and responsible, since we don't have to hide anything from each other!

RD

This is what we do as well. It works well for us. Shopping without guilt is heaven to me:)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
We have a very open household. We are both very frugal by nature, and we also have a joint account. We pretty much discuss any extraneous purchases and get the other spouse's opinion. I don't hide purchases from him and he doesn't hide them from me, because most of our hobbies (vintage & WWII stuff) are the same, and those that are not (fly fishing, for example) the other spouse is supportive of. Most of the time we want the same items anyway, so it just really isn't an issue. There's really no unauthorized/hidden spending happening in our household.

I will say that I have witnessed this situation first hand. I have newly married friends where the wife is very frugal, but the husband was previously accustomed to a lifestyle that involved no rent, no bills, no car payment, and therefore freely spending his paycheck on whatever he wanted. The husband came with us to an estate sale and bought a few items. He didn't have cash with him, so we ended up fronting the money with the promise to be repaid later. Well, later that evening as we were all together, I made a seemingly meaningless comment about one of the items in front of his wife, and everything went downhill from there. Apparently he was supposed to be on a spending moratorium. Needless to say, we got stuck with all the items he purchased.

nulty

One of the Regulars
It's an interesting subject if you are into examining relationships . Without going into the Freudian tangent it's safe to say alot of us need to find a way to not feel guilty before entering into a situation where we think we might. Even tho our partner is fully supportive of our indulgences and just wants to see us smile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn