Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White After Labor Day

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Oh, and I meant to say that Brits don't seem to have a specific rule about not wearing white after a certain date, but it seems to be a bit of an unspoken rule. You don't see much white worn here in the Winter.

Denise, you live in the Winterless West. They don't call it the Golden State for nothing!

Emer

One of the Regulars
I lived in Southern California my whole life, and while I knew the whole "no white shoes" rule, it was very hard to abide by. Now that I'm older, I may wear them a few times immidiately after Labor Day, but once we're out of September I cut myself off. I try to find other colors that might work if I happen to be wearing white, like brown or even silver if the case may be.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have always obeyed the "no white shoes" rule after Labor Day. I grew up hearing "no open toes" after Labor Day, too. It just makes sense. If you wear open toed shoes, your tootsies will get cold and/or wet.

Emer

One of the Regulars
What about white jackets? We're taking a trip in october and I found this grogeous vintage trench coat dress, but it is white. Is that a no-no?

Emer

One of the Regulars
ThesFlishThngs said:
Wear it with style, Emer. I have a white winter coat, most definitely intended to be worn after Labor Day. ;)

That's kind of what was going through my head! "Why would you make a white winter coat if you're not supposed to wear it after Labor Day?" lol I just found an article that says as long as you pair it with a darker color pallet, white can be very pretty for winter!

Foofoogal

Banned
I grew up hearing "no open toes" after Labor Day, too. It just makes sense. If you wear open toed shoes, your tootsies will get cold and/or wet.

This lesson was brought home to me in a very harsh way and I still remember the sting.
I was in love with a boy in high school. I had some nice wedge sandals I thought were swell. I went to meet his parents and the first comment made was by his father about why was I wearing sandals. In Texas of all things (where it is never cold)
I felt 2 inches tall after that. I never did quite fit the parents approval as I was not good enough it seems all the way around so we broke up. Stupid really. [huh]
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

Winter white coats are fine.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I don't approve of his parents Foofoogal. It is really rude to point out to someone a breach of etiquette unless they have asked for advice. It is ok for your parents to say something, but his, no way.

If that is the way his family is, you are better off without them.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I wear more white in the Fall and Winter than at any other time of the year regardless of any rules because I feel it does wonders to brighten my complexion. I only suit clear tones of white which can be difficult to find at this time of the year. I haven't heard of a similar rule here in Denmark.

Tourbillion I don't approve of his parents Foofoogal. It is really rude to point out to someone a breach of etiquette unless they have asked for advice. It is ok for your parents to say something, but his, no way.

Very true!

RC

New in Town
I guess it's living in Texas where seasons are kind of limited (other that hot) that makes me interested in seasonal dressing. By putting away whites and pastels in September and unpacking the darker browns, burgundies, forrest greens and grays to wear until March, it helps to create a sense of transition...even if all of the above are still sleeveless tops and dresses regardless of color. But then again, I've also been known to jack down the a/c to enjoy a blanket and a cup of cocoa. lol

miss_elise

Practically Family
considering that labour day in australia is on different days, even different times of the year in different states... it would lead to a fairly schizophrenic fashion rule here.

It is the first Monday in October in the ACT, NSW and SA. In both VIC and TAS, it is the second Monday in March (though the latter calls it Eight Hours Day). In WA, Labour Day is the first Monday in March. In both QLD and the NT, it is the first Monday in May.

So that rule would be confusing to say the least

Lillemor

One Too Many
Are you also supposed to put away white shirts and blouses you might wear under knits jackets and suit tops?

SayCici

Practically Family
Lillemor said:
Are you also supposed to put away white shirts and blouses you might wear under knits jackets and suit tops?
No! I really think the 'rule' mostly applies to shoes and handbags.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Well, I live in Southern California, but it gets very cold here... eventually. Well, cold for California anyway, we hit the sixties (which isn't as cold as say... Colorado) and fifties. But that doesn't happen until well into November. So for now, I'm going to keep wearing my white skirts. :)

Foofoogal, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I once got corrected by my old boyfriend's dad for using the word 'nauseous'. He said it meant that I was causing someone else to be nauseated. I felt incredibly dumb after that. I never got around to looking it up, but apparently we were both correct. Oh well!

TallulahDahling

New in Town
If you've never watched the movie, Serial Mom with Kathleen Turner--RENT IT ASAP! No spoilers but there is a scene that addresses this topic hysterically. (I'm a huge John Waters fan!)

I've lived in the Deep South for about 20 years now and can't say I'm comfy with the white after LD but I compromise and wear buff and/or bisque in a pinch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot