Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

white cinch w/ gold interlock clasp- how do I find/make one?

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I hate to start a whole new thread but this is such a specific question, if I posted in one of the other threads it'd probably never get answered.

I am looking for something that seems like it should be easy to find, but I've found nothing- a plain white elasticated cinch belt with a plain gold interlocking clasp. Finding a stretchy white cinch belt is not hard, but the only ones with plain clasps, (i.e. like this http://www.heyviv.com/shop/imageview.asp?file=belt_cinch_black_hv.jpg) have silver clasps.

Assuming that no-one knows where to find one of these mystical items, does anyone know where I could buy the gold clasp, and just make the damn thing myself? I know the elastic wouldn't be hard to get, and it seems like if I could get hold of a basic gold metal clasp it wouldn't be too hard to make.

Any help much appreciated!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It has to be gold, eh? Vivien of Holloway has some nice ones, but the clasps appear to be silver.

When I took art in high school, we used spray paints especially made for metal. I don't know how efficient an alternative this is, but it stays on and is an option in solving your problem. You might be able to find small bottles at your local art supply store.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What you need is a large clasp like what they use on bras on the straps. I think it might be called a bra clasp or an s-clasp. This site has how to make one kind of what you want out of wire: http://www.how-to-make-beaded-jewelry.com/s-clasp.html, but you'd need to use some strong wire- maybe the kind they use for modeling? You'd need to make it more closed, like two UUs rather than an open S.

If you do paint a clasp, as C-dot suggested (which I think is a great idea) they make an Automotive Adhesion Promoter, which is by RustOleum. You can get it at the auto-parts store, you spray it on and then it makes the metal tacky and more willing to accept paint. I've used it on all sorts of things (never jewerly). Really helps the paint stick.

You could also wrap gold wire around a silver clasp. Or glue gold colored beads to it. Or buy a big golden colored button (or use an old pin that the clasp has died on) and wire it over the silver clasp. It wouldn't look as plain, but it could work.

Other than that, the only other things I can think of, is you could go and look at the hardware department in a home improvement store. They sometimes have fasterners that are similar to other things, and they have a lot of brass coated hardware.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Ebay UK has several at the moment, and if not you can set up a search and get an email when one pops up.
seriously?! I thought I had tried every possible combination of keywords and trawled avery page of results. Bear in mind I am after one with a plain clasp, nothing fancy. If you've got a link would you mind messaging it to me?

Other than that, the only other things I can think of, is you could go and look at the hardware department in a home improvement store. They sometimes have fasterners that are similar to other things, and they have a lot of brass coated hardware.

Thanks for all your suggestions, sheeplady. That last one sounds like the easiest, at least in principle.

It has to be gold, eh?

I know it seems so trivial, but if there was any place I'd feel comfortable asking such a frivolous question, it's here! :p I really don't suit silver in any way and a lot of my wardrobe has gold bits in, like a gold fastener on a handbag, gold-rimmed sunglasses, gold necklace etc. Coordinating makes me happy! :D

P.S. Paul, thank you for the link! I'm going to check out my local fabric etc shop but I don't hold out much hope!

Last edited:

Drappa

One Too Many
I would keep checking cheap shops you normally wouldn't go into, or online rock'n roll / swing dance shops. Just send you a pm with some links. Hope you find something.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I know it seems so trivial, but if there was any place I'd feel comfortable asking such a frivolous question, it's here! :p I really don't suit silver in any way and a lot of my wardrobe has gold bits in, like a gold fastener on a handbag, gold-rimmed sunglasses, gold necklace etc. Coordinating makes me happy! :D

I totally understand! I'm fanatic about my jewelery and accessories matching too, though in silver lol Thats why this place is so great!

These people do all sorts of interesting clasps and fastenings.

The selection on that site is great! I feel a new obsession coming on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24