Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Shirt? Colored Shirt?

TCMfan25

Practically Family
The eternal question that will slowly drive men to madness.

I am a devout whit shirt wearer, so I can leave the boldness to my Bow Tie, or wear a more conservative tie and carry the theme through the whole outfit.

what about you?

Do you swear by colored shirts?
astaire12.jpg

Or do you swear by white shirts?
frank3.jpg

Or do you cross the boundries?
473699.1-lg.jpg

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Always white. I used to have a couple pale blue shirts too, but they are worn out, and I am not replacing them. I have a nice deep red shirt, and a nice royal blue shirt, but I don't wear either one.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Sometimes, and those times are very few, certain accessories can appear a little 'sudden' against a white shirt. I am prepared to give other colours a chance.

Wambleyburger

Familiar Face
Primarily white about 80% to 90% of the time. Although I do have several solid colored as well as striped shirts. Those I generally wear without a jacket, though.

carldelo

One Too Many
I have only one white shirt - I seem to only wear it with my tan suit. Mostly my shirts are striped, but I've been adding solid colors in the last year or two. I like the exercise of matching a tie to a striped shirt and jacket, there's a lot more to take into consideration.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Mostly white right now, but with the odd solid and striped shirt. I'd like to add more of each, as well as some checked shirts to go with the tweeds.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really LOVE stripes. Most of my shirts have light and thin stripes.

I only have two or three white shirts. I wear them with suits that have a strong pattern or with beige and tan/colors that need a contrast.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
For YEARS I basically only wore white. Then, a couple of seasons ago, I began to sometimes wear colored, and I haven't looked back since...Having said that, I believe there are times when a white shirt is the only way to go, depending on color of suit/sport coat and necktie.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I'm primarily a white and pale blue guy because I have a twenty-inch neck. A 17-33 shirt fits me nearly perfect through the shoulders and body, which means I need a lot of tailoring done to my shirts because I have to buy a size 20-34 in the big and tall section. My shirts have to be versatile and able to be worn with a variety of suits and sport coats. I've been looking into having some custom shirts made with a local tailor as well as with Brooks Brothers and Hemrajani. When I do, I'll almost certainly get a few striped shirts. There's a real art to matching a striped shirt with a patterned tie (I generally eschew solid color ties because I find them boring.), but when a proper match is made, I think it's a very sharp look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails