Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Shoe Help

epr25

Practically Family
I tried to search for this so appologies if it is a repeat.

I have a pair of navy and white 40's spectators. The navy is great but the white has some issues. I am not sure if it was suede or kid leather to begin with. But now the white is 60 plus years of white polish. Thicker in some areas then others. I was wondering if there was a recmoval process or something any one has tried to at least lessen the built up polish?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
epr25 said:
I tried to search for this so appologies if it is a repeat.

I have a pair of navy and white 40's spectators. The navy is great but the white has some issues. I am not sure if it was suede or kid leather to begin with. But now the white is 60 plus years of white polish. Thicker in some areas then others. I was wondering if there was a recmoval process or something any one has tried to at least lessen the built up polish?

I use isopropyl alcohol on a cotton ball to take accumulated shoe-white off my saddle shoes when they start to look cakey -- it's slow, but it seems to work without harming the leather as long as you stop rubbing when you hit the original surface. A very light touch is essential!

I've never tried this on suede, though -- be forewarned!

Mary

Practically Family
It's a little odd I think to put shoeshine on suede so I would think it's ordinary leather.

Scotrace gave an recipe with water, rubbing alcohol like LizzieMaine uses and some glycerine. But I don't know if it will be any good for your shoes. I'd put it in the Leather restoriationtread and ask him. Or try LizzieMaines method. Are your shoes that old to?

I've cleaned some suede shoes with suede shampoo and that worked out wonderfully but I don't think it's suede in your shoes.

Please tell me how it works out. Sorry I can't help more.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot