Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Trousers

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I have a pair of modern white trousers much like the linen and wool ones from the Goldern Era. I've been dying to wear them.
Unfortunately they are completely unlined, exposing pocket linings, white boxers, legs and even socks. The fabric is too thin to be unlined. To be frank, it looks quite dorky. :(

What can one do? Can I do anything about it or do I have to put up with it?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
No takers?

I'm thinking about rigging up some sort of simple and light-weight satin (or similar fabric) lining that runs at the very least to the knee if not to the ankle. Whadda ya think, practical? [huh]

Teacher

Familiar Face
I'd take them to a good tailor to have them lined. I have absolutely no idea how much something like this would cost, but it would be better than having useless pants.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Teacher said:
I'd take them to a good tailor to have them lined. I have absolutely no idea how much something like this would cost, but it would be better than having useless pants.

Word. :eusa_clap

Snookie

Practically Family
When you buy lining fabric, take the pants with you to the store so that you can stick some yardage in there and see what has the best effect. Remember, sometimes "nude" color has a better effect than a bright white. Not as much contrast underneath, and hopefully not as noticable if the lining stops at the knee. Try it out.

Also, satin sounds nice because it's silky, but it probably won't breathe very well. Keep the breathe-abilty in mind, since you'll probably be wearing them on hot days.

I just got rid of 3 pairs of white pants because of the sheerness. :rage:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have a pair of sheer white unlined linen trousers where in the right light... :eek: I usually wear them with white boxer shorts....at night. :p

Maguire

Practically Family
I had this problem. I wanted white pants for when i'd go to florida and the hotter summers here to wear with the guayabera, but when i tried it on i could see through it and see my boxers distinctly. Until i can find ones that don't go see through i'm sticking to khakis.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd find a heavier pair of white or cream trousers (cream you can wear year 'round if you follow the old Memorial Day/Labor Day rule). The price of having a custom lining made for an already-completed pair of trousers is probably going to be about what a new pair of ready-made trousers would run. The other plus is you can try them on and see if they're too hot for summer wear. If the lining makes the existing pair uncomfortable in hot weather, the cost of having them lined is all for naught.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kabuto said:
You could wear the flesh-toned bikinis that swimmers sometimes wear under light colored Speedos. Sporting goods stores have them.
AND
miss_elise said:
do they not make "nude" underwear for men?

As the original poster mentioned, besides the "obvious" show-through, the pockets, socks and legs can be seen through the fabric.

miss_elise

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
AND

As the original poster mentioned, besides the "obvious" show-through, the pockets, socks and legs can be seen through the fabric.

true, but if you were to wear nude/peach socks and nude underwear... you would only have pockets (which i presume are a usualy part of trousers and therefore unremarkable) and legs (which one would expect to see in trousers)

just my 5c in how other people manage to wear unlined white trousers...

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I thought about a tailor but the closest one around here with any skill is my mom and I. Really, there's no serious tailor within 200 miles. :( It would be easier and cheaper for us to do it.

As for the silk idea, it's a possibility. I don't know how hot or not satin is.

Mike in Seattle might be right about this one.

Cheers, all!

Snookie

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
Why not silk...?

Silk is a fiber, satin is a weave. There's silk satin, and there's also polyester satin. (I used the term "silky" as a description of the handfeel, not the fiber - sorry if that was confusing.) Satin, no matter the fiber content, is a dense weave. That's why I think it won't breathe very well and be too hot. But there are many weights, and people have different tolerances, so satin might be a possibility...but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Silk in a different weave, maybe a plain weave like China silk, could be wonderful. But I'd personally chalk it up to experience, and buy a pair of cream colored pants. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou