Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whitman, Emerson, Old Town Clothing and Me

Tokyo Jones

New in Town
So I find I am increasingly captivated by Old Town Clothing's offerings, particularly their Orford trousers and Fitzrovia jacket. What little I've been able to read about this company on TFL suggests they, like analogous Japanese manufacturers, focus exclusively on the home market. Indeed, OTC seem to go further, by offering only period correct means of communication (phone or post) and not accepting credit cards! But for those potential customers in the US, a cute quirk becomes a practical problem for ordering.

Still, I'm struck by the authenticity of their work. I find myself thinking of Whitman and Emerson suddenly as fashion influences, even Monet or Marx! I'd love to be able to create a personal style which references American Transcendentalism and European romanticism in the late 19th century - a style manifesto marking a new Salon des Refuses for the post-consumerist era (if there is one). High quality certainly, hand tailored yes, expensive perhaps, but long lasting and speaking less to fashion than to personal style; a working man's creed.

Are there, then, any analogues of OTC which are more easily available in the US? Or perhaps courier services in England as there are in Japan? J. Peterman is on my list, though judging by their vintage styled pants and so-called A-1 jacket, their vintage stylings are superficial at best. Riverjunction is simply too cowboy for my tastes.

I'd sure love to see if anyone has any interest in such a style, and any recommendations for OTC alternatives available in the US.

Thanks for reading!

Edward

Bartender
Old Town's stuff does look lovely... into 2010, I hope to be in a position to order a few pairs of trousers from them. I've also considered having a Fitzrovia jacket and waistcoat made up in a matching greeny tweed, along with a couple of pairs of matching trousers, aiming after the 20s style suit Liam Neeson wore as Michael Collins. It's just a shame, in my humble opinion, that they don't do some 30s/ 40s style jackets too...

For folks who want to get into the mid to late Victorian era, careful selection from Western-wear suppliers is great, but not the right cuts for Edwardian and later.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I rather think they might. They tell me that they already have more business than they can handle.

In any case, anyone who has tried it will confirm that trading on the WWW can be a hassle. Maybe they prefer doing business in the traditional way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails