Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who are you favorite generals of WWII

Who is your favorite WWII General

• Erwin Rommel

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Bernard Montgomery

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • George Patton

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Dwight Eisenhower

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Karl Doenitz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Douglas MacArthur

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Heinz Gurdian

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Charles de Gaulle

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Gerd von Rundstedt

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Georgy Zhukov

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mr Vim

One Too Many
For a time I was a West Point Cadet, and thus I am very familiar with the exploits of Eisenhower, McCarthur, Bradley, Patton on and on... but I always had a special place in my heart for Patton (even though I was housed in Ike Barracks) because I passed his statue each day on my way to class. Apparently, he said the reason he performed so poorly at the academy was that he could not find the library.

The funy thing is, and why I liked his statue the most, was that when it was placed, it was dead in front of the library, with him holding his binoculars... almost as if every Cadet was saying "here, Sir, is the library."

I've been told that the newly designed Library will not have the General inside... as if to drive the joke further.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
General Douglas MacArthur is the one that has made most of an impression on me. Interestingly, he reminds me somewhat of Julius Caesar of ancient Rome; popular with the people, but he was actually fired by the President himself during the Korean War, if my memory is correct. Coincidentally, I also happen to live not too far from a fort named after him.

"The Good", every get to Norfolk VA? It is the home of the MacArthur museum (and his grave site). Saw it this summer on vacation. Here is the outside:

100_0751.JPG

rogaleo

New in Town
I voted Patton, and not because of a movie. Of not mentioned here, but worth mentioning: Claire Chennault. Of my local, polish guys: Stanislaw Maczek and Stanislaw Sosabowski (also because of a film -> a bridge too far).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't call myself a major military history buff, but one thing I've picked up is the interesting difference between a general at the brigadier level,or a major general, i.e. the division or brigade commander, and the "high command" level, i.e. lieutenant general or higher. High command is a very different set of challenges from being right on the ground.
How would people rank their favorites in these two classes?

Chas

One Too Many
None of the abovementioned.

If you want my favorite choices of commanders, it would have to be Dowding, Sir Max Horton, Archie Vandergrift and RAdm Charles Lockwood.

IMO, none of the generals of WW2 crack the top ten of all time. Many had their moments of adequacy, even brilliance, but none were as good as Alexander, Napoleon or Julius Caesar.

My top ten?

1. Alexander The Great
2. Napleon Buonaparte
3. Julius Caesar
4. Genghis Kahn
5. Alexsandr Suvorov
6. Frederick The Great
7. Gustavus Adolphus
8. Horatio Nelson
9. Phyrrus Of Epiros
10. Hannibal Barca

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Chas: Interesting list. I had to look up Suvorov. Gustavus Adolphus I knew a little about.
Just curious. Where would you put Wallenstein? Marlborough? Did you ever read about the life of General Tso? The guys they named the chicken after? Remarkable man.

Raider

One of the Regulars
I voted for Patton. My dad entered the army (8th Cavalry) in 1938 at age 18. By 1944 he was with the 82nd Airborne Division, 508 PIR. During the closing months of '44 several of his scheduled combat jumps were cancelled because Patton overran the jump zone! By November, it was obvious that they would have to be trucked to the front. They were, in time to fight in the Battle of the Bulge. I remember him talking about walking all night on Christmas Eve. He gave Patton credit for saving his life...I guess going by truck to the front felt a little safer. I was born in 1966 when he was 46. He passed on Valentine's Day 2003 at age 83.

PBI1944

New in Town
I have studied Monty now for about 25 years. 3 points stand out:

1. Monty's ability to bring 3rd Division out of Dunkirk in tact and with great elan. He trained his division to a high peak, emphasizing nighttime transport and movement, knowing (in the back of his mind) the British leadership was faulty and that a general retreat would take place.

2. Monty's ability to end the retreat at El Alamein, re-institute training for all ranks (all arms), combine all branches (Army-Navy-Air Force-Combined Operations), fight a defensive battle and then lead a major assault (which destroyed the Afrika Korps ability to fight). Most WWII British officers who served with the 8th Army state that it was Monty's "no retreat" order which went around the Army "like a free electron."

3. Monty's ability to keep firstclass SS Panzer and Wehrmacht Divisions bottled up outside Caen, allowing U.S. forces to swing wide right in COBRA and break the back of German resistance.

earl

A-List Customer
Had a great uncle I'd have loved to meet, but was killed by sniper on Mindanao at the close of the war. In charge of the guerilla forces there. West Point grad-in same class as Eisenhower and Bradley-have his year book with their pics in it. First commission out of the Point was a lieutenant under Black Jack Pershing chasing Villa around the border. Earl

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I chose George Patton. He has always been one of my favorites. I am also very fond of General Earl W. Barnes. He was commanding General of the XIII Fighter Command and also became the commander of the entire 13th "Jungle" Air Force. My father was one of his drivers in the XIII Fighter Command. Dad loved General Barnes. General Barnes personal aircraft was a P-61 Black Widow. They were in the South and South West Pacific during the war.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner