Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Does Without TV?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I never got around to getting a digital antenna and have been without TV for a month. I watch DVDs and have started getting books on CD from the library. (You can also download audio books.)

How do you get along without TV?

December

One of the Regulars
We don't have a TV either.

We use a computer to watch films etc and my fiance downloads any shows he wants to watch. There's not a lot on that I want to watch.

As a student, I have a lot of spare time. Especially now that I'm on summer holiday, so I use the internet, read, tidy the room we live in and I'm starting to experiment with making clothes now.

I could easily live without TV. Saying that, I desperately want a vintage set!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Been without TV for nearly two years. Didn't have it for a year in 2005-2006, either. We watch movies on a laptop, the time before we had a TV and DVD and VCR.

It's nothing to do with digital (I don't know if they've even made the switch here), we don't want to pay the TV license.

It's not so bad, though there are some things I miss, like Stargate reruns.

Foofoogal

Banned
I wouldn't miss it except for the news. I use it for music channels. Honey thinks he would die without it.
He cannot see my need for the computer and I cannot see the need for his tv. I have made a new pact to not get on the net while he is present. I sneak sometimes. It is hard. lol
It is a big thing for him for me to sit and watch tv with him. I hate most of the shows as it is usually someone dying or getting blown up but I do sit with him with a magazine.

DerMann

Practically Family
Yeah, the TV is usually for background noise when I fall asleep. I would leave my monitor on, but I'd hate to accidentally burn an image into it.

During my first semester at college I had no TV, no problem. Anything I want to watch will usually be downloaded online.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
rarely

I have a TV and occasionally watch a DVD but I am thinking about cancelling my netflix because often I send them back without watching. I don't have any regular programs that I watch.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I haven't watched television for at least 25 years. If I'm at a friend's house and the TV is on, I'll watch for awhile but I find it really creepy and I'm appalled that most Americans develop their world view from it.

We do own a TV set, but it's not hooked up to anything except the DVD player and we only use it to watch movies now and then.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I work nights, so it's been years since I watched anything regularly other than the tail ends of Red Sox games -- looking at the list of Emmy nominations, it struck me forcefully that I had no idea who any of those people were. Except for Hugh Laurie, and he'll always be Bertie Wooster to me.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Well, right now our cable has been off for a few months, but we don't watch a lot of TV anyway. a few shows like Leno (when he was on the tonight show, Of course that has changed, can't stand Conan)), and I like the retro channel that plays a lot of 80's shows like Knight Rider.

Other then that I spend most my time online. Have been out of work for over a year so if I am not job hunting online I am surfing the net.

Bassman

A-List Customer
We've been using rabbit ears to get 7 or 8 channels for the last year and now we've been doing without it altogether since the digital switch.
Just using it for dvd's and vhs (remember vhs?).
Funny thing is, the wife and I both work in television (though we don't advise watching any of it).;)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We haven't had television (cable/satellite) for about three years now. My wife and I are film buffs so we have an extensive DVD library. We are also avid readers with a large library, and of course enjoy the outdoors so gardening, camping and hiking keep us outside. We really miss living on Vancouver Island because of the year-round ability to get outside without necessarily freezing!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
5.5 years with no television. I mean we do have a great big boob tube in the living room. But it's hooked to a dvd/vcr combo and also my Nintendo. We do watch some TV shows via netflix disks of previous seasons. But mostly it's movies or classics like McHales Navy.

Matt

No TV in my place since the '90s aside from for VHS/DVD. Shows I think are worth watching, I pick up on DVD, aside from Food Network which is always on at least one TV around the local greasy-spoon. (Seems talking about food inspires hunger, which helps with sales...lol Besides, Alton Brown is kinda funny even if he does comb his hair with a weedwhacker.lol )

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - The Battle Of Endor I
via FoxyTunes

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
We're loaded up with everything, yet I only watch HGTV, DIY and of course Mad Men when it returns next month.

My wife on the other hand lives in front of the tube. If it weren't for her, I'd use the TV as a target.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Been without it for the most part since the 70's. I started painting and drawing more then and that takes precedence over the idiot box. The "quality" of most of the shows had severely declined by then too, :eusa_doh: so I wasn't much interested in any of it. To this day I can take it or leave it and haven't watched much unless I was visiting someone and they were watching something. A good movie or some classic cartoons maybe is worth watching on DVD sometimes, that's about all I ever watch.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I do not watch free to air TV at all... havent watched it for years and I hate it really... but cable TV (or pay TV) is nice! :eusa_clap
All those 1920s and 1930s films and documentaries to record!!!!! :D
I'm thankful for that, they mean a lot to me!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy