Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who has been entreprising enough to reproduce their own pieces of WW2 kit?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ever been in a position where you want a WW2 piece of military kit, but no-one seems to be making it? and trying to get an original is like finding hen's teeth!!!

But then there are the folk who don't lie down and take it. They start thinking, "HOW CAN I MAKE THIS FOR MYSELF?" (As JB recently demonstrated with the parachute pack he made - "fantastic JB!").

So, what I'm wondering is...what things have you made yourself as it was no-where else to be found? and talk us through how you went about researching, getting photos, getting materials..etc) And of course PHOTOS PLEASE IF YOU CAN!!!
I always wanted an aerial bomb tag in metal. But the original metal ones were phased out early in the war in favour of cardboard, as metal was needed for munitions..etc. So I had to get photos, sizes, type of fonts and recreate one with the help of a friend who makes metal tags and labels for industrial machinery and the military!

The end result, is the famous BOMB TAG that is attached to your flight jacket zip as a grip (just like the trendy flyboys of the 1940s!!).

So what have you managed to recreate for yourself....? go on, inspire us all!!

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Hey Paddy ! So you are responsible for these Bomb Tags !! :eusa_clap All the little people in my house have them on their A-2's.

I would love to make a decent 'Capri' Good Luck bell but got as far as a bit of tin foil molded over my thumb...........:rolleyes:

Cobden

Practically Family
Currently working on a couple of things, although neither is as complicated as the bomb tags!
-Royal Navy Non-Regulation Working dress (AKA Dark Blue Battledress)- trousers done, blouse needs dying
-Royal Navy class II rating - need to find the correct buttons and other insignia

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
US ARMY (AF) Vintage Sweatshirt recreation...

Again, I saw an original of these and thought about reproducing the graphics onto a vintage style heavy weight sweatshirt. The ones that came up trumps were the Japanese (of course) SlapShot sweats (you've got to handle these things to see and feel the quality, like no other sweat you've had!). To cut a long story short, I wanted one, no-one was offering them, and I thought, if I want one, maybe some others might too. The only way to economically get this done was to run a number off at a printers, which I did. See photo for result (sorry to bore you chaps who are well aware of all this! :)
MitchellSweatshirtPics012.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy