Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best Panama hat for $100?

Fedoraphile

New in Town
Who makes the best Panama hat for $100? By best, I mean the one with the best weaves per inch count, good looks and customer service.

Put another way, what's the best hat one can get for $100?

Fedoraphile

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
That my friend is a loaded question......

It would all be based on personal preferences.

Check out the panama canal thread. it might take you a day or two but you will get several truckloads of information.. As I have found out, first you need to know what YOU want in a Panama and go from there.....

Just my two cents.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
One hundred dollars is a dead zone

One hundred dollars is a dead zone in prices for Panama hats. You can get a decent hat from Panama Bob, aka Panama Hat Works of Montecristi, on eBay with opening bids starting at around US$40.00.

For a really fine hat, Bob will also sell you one outright starting at $200.00 and heading up from there.

If your budget really is $100.00, my suggestion is to bid on on Bob's eBay hats and buy two or three at around $40.00 each to get a feel for what you like. Then you can empty your pockets of change each night into a big glass jar, and when you get a few hundred, go back armed with the knowledge and buy a hat with a finer weave.

Bob's web site is http://www.panamas.biz/.

Neil

A-List Customer
Second that

Parsing hundred dollar Panamas is a mug's game. Most are probably not worth it. Stick with PB.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Once you start appreciating a good Panama, I predict you'll be happy to venture into the $200 plus range. A really nice panama is just a delicious object, and a pleasure to wear. What you get from PanamaBob at that price range can't be matched by anyone else that I'm aware of.

Goose.

Practically Family
KILO NOVEMBER said:
One hundred dollars is a dead zone in prices for Panama hats. You can get a decent hat from Panama Bob, aka Panama Hat Works of Montecristi, on eBay with opening bids starting at around US$40.00.

For a really fine hat, Bob will also sell you one outright starting at $200.00 and heading up from there.

If your budget really is $100.00, my suggestion is to bid on on Bob's eBay hats and buy two or three at around $40.00 each to get a feel for what you like. Then you can empty your pockets of change each night into a big glass jar, and when you get a few hundred, go back armed with the knowledge and buy a hat with a finer weave.

10-4 on what Kilo November posted. Based on all that I have read along w/ a email to and fro the gent, PB will steer you right with those clams.
His email addy is on the referenced site.

Fedoraphile

New in Town
KILO NOVEMBER said:

Actually, I have one of PB's Diamante hats, and love it. Just wondering how much improvement on it I'd get for say $100. $100 isn't my limit, it's just a question of what I can get for $100. Perhaps I'll go for $200, perhaps not. It really isn't clear to me how much better the $200 hat will be compared to the Diamante I got from him last year. Is it really that much better?

Fedoraphile

Goose.

Practically Family
Rick Blaine said:
The Ecuadorians? ;) ... >ducks, runs<
That's funny Rick. I almost typed "a young apprentice in a remote village in China after a Friday lunch...".
I was looking for the pic of a market stand in China, or somewhere, that was selling "genuine panama hats" for $10.00.

Point is to be careful. I paid too much for a Panama that I could've obtained for about half the price if I'd paid more attention in class and did my homework.So, good for you Fedoraphile by checking things out here first :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Fedoraphile said:
Is it really that much better?
Fedoraphile

Define "better". The big price-driver on panamas is weaves per square inch. If that's what you mean, then yes, more money = more wpsi = better. However, it's frequently posted that the tighter the weave (more wpsi), the hotter the hat. So, if a hat that keeps the sun off, but lets the breeze blow through is better, then a cheap hat is right for you. Of course, a cheap hat looks like a cheap hat, as it's got a much rougher, larger weave.

Depending upon your size, you might be able to find something with a bit more style and character by looking for a vintage straw (panama or otherwise) on ebay. Even the very best vintage straws seldom go for more than $100 there.

rrog

A-List Customer
I don't have a Panama (yet). But from what I've seen, when these guys start saying it's worth it to spend a little more to get xyz hat brand, then it's really worth it to spend the extra for the xyz brand. They're speaking from experience.

rrog

duggap

Banned
Chuck Bobuck said:
What's the general consensus of the Stetson Centerdent? I've had an itchy trigger finger for one, but it seems to be right in that $100 pocket.
I think I would still go with PanamaBob as you can get a better hat for you money.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Amongst all the never-ending discussions regarding wpsi, you might also consider the block, the crown height, and the brim width. No matter how fine the weave, if it doesn't look good on your noggin you probably won't wear the hat.
So do some homework. This website (among many others) is a good place to start. It has a lot of information and is easy to navigate.

http://www.panamahatsdirect.com/

irb

Familiar Face
I sure hope I'll soon be able to say, like so many others here, that PanamaBob's Panamas are fantastic, but mine hasn't shown up yet. What I can say is that, as far as customer service is concerned, PB and the Montecristi Hat Works are terrific.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
The Ecuadorians? ;) ... >ducks, runs<

wiset.gif

lol

jkingrph

Practically Family
I just picked up a lower price one from PB via one of his e mail ads/specials, for $45 delivered. The weave is coaser than the two much higher grades I have and has a fabric sweatband vs leather. The way I sweat my thinking is that sweatband and a coaser weave will be a bit cooler. I only received it today and it's too windy out to wear so have not tried it yet. It looks like a bargin at $45.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy