Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the BEST repro M442/ G-1?

Brettafett

One Too Many
I had a cockpit lamskin G-1 20 years ago, it was very comfy.
Am considering acquiring a M442 or G-1, for various reason am looking at repros...
Authenticity a plus, but to wear everyday is a must. What do you folks recon?

Graemsay

Practically Family
I really like the Goodwear M422, but it's really not cheap at $1399.

front_view1.jpg

Aero and Eastman both do cheaper alternatives, at under $1000.

I've only briefly seen a couple of Eastman jackets up close. I've got a feeling that they are more historically accurate than Aero, but perhaps not as well made.

Bill Kelso and Gibson and Barnes also sell the style, but I've never seen either of them. Both are cheaper than Aero.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Gibson & Barnes makes a very nice Navy G-1 for just under $400 and a Navy M-422A for just over $600. Although I do not own either of those models, I do own a G&B A-2 and an Expedition (Indy) and am impressed with the quality of the G&B products. When I was in San Diego a couple of years ago, I tried on almost every jacket that G&B makes, including their G-1 and M-422A. Another that is very impressive is their AN-J-3 for $588 that has the best features of the G-1 and A-2. I prefer their seal brown color (M-422A) over their dark brown (G-1) Seal is somewhere between mid-brown and dark brown, so personally I would probably go with the M-422A over the G-1. Again, I was particularly impressed with their ANJ.

I'm voting GW and Kelso a close 2nd. But that's based only on one new Kelso...lookin forward to Andrew's review for sure. But pics of 767fo's GW and others have me drooling at the thought.
All of the names mentioned are good, but you asked for the best.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I think we need to separate m422 and g1 because there are subtle differences.

I recently got the Cockpit G-1 (military version). It would be a mid range jacket, very functional but not top end. For 350 bucks I paid, no complains :eek:

Since this jacket suits me perfect, I do not discard to get a high-end G-1. Who makes the best G-1? :)

too much coffee

Practically Family
Good Morning gents;

Just my tuppence....but the best G-1 to buy is the genuine original U.S. Navy issue G-1. Sure the modern repro makers build terrific G-1 jackets but they cost almost as much as a good repro A-2. Save your money and buy the real thing while they are still available for not too much money.

Even purchasing from U.S. Ebay and paying the dreaded various import duty/taxes one will still be miles ahead.

I remember original A-2 jackets going for a couple of hundred U.S. dollars back in the late '70s. Look how those days are gone! One can only assume the G-1 jacket may face a similar increase in costs. Buy a couple of original G-1 jackets now and beat the price increase plus you'll have the genuine article.

Back to the Games...........

Best regards,
coffee

pauleway

Practically Family
I had a cockpit lamskin G-1 20 years ago, it was very comfy.
Am considering acquiring a M442 or G-1, for various reason am looking at repros...
Authenticity a plus, but to wear everyday is a must. What do you folks recon?
The Cockpit Vintage G-1 is very nice. The goatskin is just slightly aged and is soft but strong. If you are looking to wear something everyday this jacket is one you should look at before you buy!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
For someone that lives in the USA, I would still maintain that G&B would be the way to go. It is my understanding that they have some military contracts. Should the knits need to be replaced, send the jacket back to G&B. I recall G&B telling me that the zipper is warrantied for life. If I didn't already have a Cooper G-1 that fits me like a second skin, I would buy either the G&B G-1 or their 422-A as a great daily wearer. For what it'd worth, I had a G-1 issued to me in 1967 while I was in the US Navy and can tell you that the original issue was no better than what is currently being made. The problem with buying an original issue relates to ratty knits, missing buttons, and torn linings.

Fanch, you're a slim fella, how do the G&B fit you? Seems most of what I read about them is they are a fuller cut? Have they changed? Or urban myth?

Aerojoe

Practically Family
The problem with buying an original issue relates to ratty knits, missing buttons, and torn linings.

...plus finding one of your size, with leather in good state and being sure that nobody died inside the jacket or was buried with it :D The latter is a must for me.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Coffee. The vintage G-1s are readily available, and while not cheap, certainly can be had for a few hundred $$. Normally anything before about 1969 will have the thicker goat with the real mouton collar. I don't remember the exact series, but think the ones to get are the B, C and perhaps the D series. My oldest G-1 is a 1962 Irvin B. Foster in the B series. A relatively rare G-1.

There are some real G-1 experts on here; perhaps they will chime in as to which was the last of the really good series. There are also various G-1 threads over the years you might find interesting.

For me, the thrill of the purchase is in the hunt. Nothing more fun than tracking down vintage jackets (well maybe a few things, but best to not discuss them here!). PC.

too much coffee

Practically Family
For someone that lives in the USA, I would still maintain that G&B would be the way to go. It is my understanding that they have some military contracts. Should the knits need to be replaced, send the jacket back to G&B. I recall G&B telling me that the zipper is warrantied for life. If I didn't already have a Cooper G-1 that fits me like a second skin, I would buy either the G&B G-1 or their 422-A as a great daily wearer. For what it'd worth, I had a G-1 issued to me in 1967 while I was in the US Navy and can tell you that the original issue was no better than what is currently being made. The problem with buying an original issue relates to ratty knits, missing buttons, and torn linings.

Hi Fanch;

I'd rather have your original 1967 than any repro.

Yes, you are correct. An original might need a new lining, new mouton collar, new knits and replacement buttons. To me, this just enhances the hobby of military jacket collecting or just having one original of something. Just like finding an original A-2......it will probably need something if it was to become my daily wearer.
So I would just ask myself...."Coffee, would you rather have an original wartime A-2 that fits and is in completely serviceable condition or a high end repro"?
To me, and me alone, the choice would be quite obvious. An original.

But again......that's just me.

Regards,
coffee

Aerojoe

Practically Family
There are some real G-1 experts on here; perhaps they will chime in as to which was the last of the really good series.

I'm not an expert but I think the last collectable pattern was MIL-J-7823C. That is C series before 1968 D series were started. My favorite contract is the Foster Sportswear 7823A. But it is ultra difficult to find one of my size and in good state.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi Pauleway,
Do you have one of these? I have considered one of these before. I would love to see some pics and fit advice.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, you're a slim fella, how do the G&B fit you? Seems most of what I read about them is they are a fuller cut? Have they changed? Or urban myth?

ButteMY 61, I just tried on most of my jackets and found that my G&B's have more or less the same cut as everything else that I wear. I have a vague recollection from one of your earlier posts that you live in the LA area, which is no more than a hop, skip, and a jump from San Diego. When I was in SD a couple of years ago for a conference, I took the light rail (trolley) from downtown SD to the Gibson and Barnes factory, planning to spend 30-40 minutes, but walked out 3-4 hours later with Expedition (Indy) and A-2 jackets! I even went back there the next day to keep looking for something else and almost walked out with a G-1 but didn't since I already had a Cooper. If I lived within 100 miles of San Diego ...

One thing that many of us tend to forget is that the airmen, both Navy and Air Force, to whom original jackets were issued were probably 5'9" and 130-140 pounds, and most of us are now radically proportioned much differently. When my size 44 G-1 was issued in 1967, I was 6'2" and had a 44"chest and 35-36" waist. Now, I am 6'1" and have a 42" chest and 38" waist. Although my weight is more or less the same, my weight distribution has gone south. So, maybe a slightly fuller cut is tailor made for me. Maybe you too!!

Fanch, if I'm down there, I'd definitely stop by. Not in the market as it stands...As for me, 1.5 years ago I'd have needed that extra room, but no more. I'm 48x36 and 6'-4", 220. I was a 50x40 and 255lbs. Much easier now to get clothing again. I haven't shrunk yet, but no doubt that's coming one day lol

Aerojoe

Practically Family
For what it'd worth, I had a G-1 issued to me in 1967 while I was in the US Navy and can tell you that the original issue was no better than what is currently being made.

Well, this is a piece of good first-hand information. Does G&B produce its jackets in the USA?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24