Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who wears/wore porkpies?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Being a jazz buff, I know full well that Lester "Prez" Young was also informally known by the name of the hat he was virtually always seen in (as in the Charles Mingus tune "Goodbye Porkpie Hat"). I don't happen to think that his hat looked all that great on him, but I've seen porkpie styles that I like. I have a straw porkpie (Goorin) which isn't the best quality but has a certain flair. There's a very interesting navy Dobbs porkpie right now on an auction site which I won't name.

What other well-known folks wore porkpies? Who in this forum wears a porkpie?

Is it true that the majority of nice straw hats are a porkpie or "panama" (telescope but no dent around the crown?) style? If folks happen to see the Dobbs porkpie mentioned above, I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

The Duke

One of the Regulars
Thelonious Monk
P241373H3U3.jpg

Wardell Gray
P29443CCWXH.jpg

wore porkpies, I wear a porkpie similar to the prez.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Monk w/hat reversed

The Duke said:
Thelonious Monk
P241373H3U3.jpg

Wardell Gey
P29443CCWXH.jpg

wore porkpies, I wear a porkpie similar to the prez.

Thanks for the pics. Of course, I've seen Monk in every type of hat/top imaginable (I just love him in a trraditional Chinese hat:) , but the pork pie looks good on him. I noticed he's got it turned backwards--how very Monk! Maybe the photo got reversed over the years?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Mickey Spillane wore porkpies when he was portraying his own fictional private detective, Mike Hammer, in a series of movies he made in the '50's.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Just watched "My Favorite Wife" and Cary Grant has a porkpie. I don't think he actually wears it, but you do see him carrying it out of a restaurant.
If i can find it on DVD, I'll post some screen grabs.

I do remember reading somewhere that he didn't really like hats too much, which is kinda funny considering his reputation as a clotheshorse, but that he liked the low crown of the porkpie and thought it was more flattering than a fedora.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
low crown on porkpies

Flitcraft said:
Just watched "My Favorite Wife" and Cary Grant has a porkpie. I don't think he actually wears it, but you do see him carrying it out of a restaurant.
If i can find it on DVD, I'll post some screen grabs.

I do remember reading somewhere that he didn't really like hats too much, which is kinda funny considering his reputation as a clotheshorse, but that he liked the low crown of the porkpie and thought it was more flattering than a fedora.

Interesting that Cary Grant liked the low crown of a porkpie. I think tall crowns look best on me, and I think the porkpie, the way it fits tight right on the top of your head, makes for a more casual look. My straw porkpie is definitely casual. The high crowns look more formal to me (and sometimes, more "boss", mor gangster (whatever exactly that means and whatever it's worth)).

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Wicked shallow porkpie!

Fu Manchu said:
That's a porkpie? His hat is so shallow - maybe only an inch or so thick?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ster_Keaton_01.jpg/250px-Buster_Keaton_01.jpg

I thought it was a strictly custom job. Is it possible to get a hat like that today?

Fu Manchu

My goodness, that is an unbelievably shallow hat, both on your link and in the photos that followed your post. It's so shallow, it's almost...almost...comical. Maybe that was the point?

budward

One of the Regulars
I think Buster Keaton made his own hats by re-vamping fedoras. Canadave knows all about it, but I don't think Keaton's was a hat you could go out and buy.

Bud

Fedora

Vendor
In the first place, I used to do more water stuff - stunts where I got dumped into water - than most comedians. And felt disintegrates if you get it wet enough! So the mortality was high. I was lucky if I only used half a dozen in each picture

My o' my!! Do you mean that a guy, speaking to us from the era of fine vintage hats, says that felt will disintergrate if you get it wet enough???? Had to chunk em'??? Well, you heard it from the horses mouth fellows. ;) :) Perhaps the modern high beaver content felt is better felt. (Ducks oncoming hard objects with great speed and agility) Afterall, most good modern felt hardly disintergrates with a bit of a dunking in water. :cheers1: Fedora

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Felt disintegrates?

budward said:
take a look at this re his "recipe" for a hat:

http://www.busterkeaton.com/howto.htm

What a great page! The low-down on Keaton's hats. I'm interested that he says "felt disintegrates if you get it wet enough". Is he talking wool felt? I know he's talking about full-on submersion in water, but my impression is that you can get no better water repellency and rain protection than from fur felt. Dunking a hat in water enough will ruin it I guess?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
My guess is he bought the cheapest hats available, regarding them as props to be used up, smashed or lost in the filming of his stunts.

Yes I realize this thread is 8 years old. Just saying.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Stanly Dobs, you are absolutely right. When you look at the crazy stunts Keaton did, and his own admission that he would lose or destroy at least a half dozen hats a picture, then he surely wasn't going to purchase a high-end model.

Moviemaking in the teens and 20s was very different from today's 200 million dollar budget special effects pageants. Keaton was filming with a single camera, at pick-up locations, often on very short timetables. And he had to do all his own stunts, which is amazing when you look at all the crumpled cars, sinking boats, and crazy jumps from high places in his films. So they surely didn't have the budget to destroy a dozen Knox Forties or other expensive hats.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
He really emphasizes stiffness in the interview. It is possible that when he says felt "disintegrates" he means that it gets really, really floppy and loses its shape. Which would make it lose the trademark shape he wanted to use. And surely there wasn't time in the middle of filming to re-block and re-stiffen a single hat multiple times.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
S. Stallone wore a leather porkpie as Rocky Balboa. Dean Martin;
Currently, Bruno Mars and John mayer(singers) wears porkpies. Johnny Depp. Bryan Cranston as Walter white in Breaking Bad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21