Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who's the best?

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I nominate William Powell for looking great in a fedora. Maybe not the best but in the top seven definately. Actually, he looked good in everything.
P.S. I'm surprised Nick Charles didn't nominate him.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hey Wolf, I'll second that nomination! As far as I'm concerned, William Powell was the epitome of style.

Brad

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
You have all brought up an interesting point. Back in the day the movie stars knew how to wear a fedora well; from Fred Allen to Fred MacMurray. I think it goes back to what gcollins said in the "high crowns" forum: the actors were confident that they looked good in the fedoras hence they did.
Tom Conway (however unhappy he was) looked good in all his clothes.
Back then we had actors that knew how to look fabulous in suits: Tom Conway, Clifton Webb, Gary Cooper (in the more casual style) and many more.
I have a picture of Cary Grant and William Powell eating by a pool in 1948. They are both dressed casually and still look elegant. Those two could emanate class and charm immediately following a pratfall!
I think that we have few like them these days.

Explorer

New in Town
Speaking of style, ever notice how Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. wore his hats? Whether it was a fedora or a pith helmet, they were always worn at a rakish angle.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I tend to were my fedoras tilted to the right. It can be pushed to the too far though. Some actors had an extreme tilt which is less utilitarian if the sun or rain is coming from the opposite side. I try to balance style and function.

Superman stands there defiant, clenched fists poised on hips while the bad guy empties his shooter into his torso. Ricochets and sparks fly off his chest while he looks somewhat annoyed. Suddenly the shooter is empty, the bad guy looks at it in disbelief, reaches back and hurls the shooter at Superman. Superman dodges the shooter. Why do the bullets bounce off but he dodges the shooter? And how does Wonder Woman find her "INVISIBLE" plane?

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
When Wonder Woman presses a button on her keychain her plane makes a "whoop whoop" sound in the parking lot. That's how she finds the plane.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My vote is for Clark Gable. However, my opinion may be tained because "It Happened One Night" was my first exposure to old movies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21