Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are fedoras with prints so cheap?

HatSoup

Familiar Face
Why don't they (hatmakors) make quality fedoras with prints?

medium_147019GoorinBrosLilTony2.jpg

1000721-KHAzoom6.jpg

HATCO

Vendor
If you are talking about designs on hats we have in the past. Stores weren't interested in buying them.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
My guess would be that printed fedoras are primarily a modern accessory, and favored by a younger crowd with less disposable income who are also probably more apt to use them for casual wear, where they will be exposed to more wear-and-tear than if the hat were only being worn for dress purposes.

So the primary market wants a cheap yet durable item that they can afford on either a student salary or the salary of someone who has recently joined the professional workforce, and cannot/probably would not spend $100+ on something he's going to wear while just hanging out. The obvious answer to meet the demand, then, is something synthetic and mass produced, to meet the demands of quantity, affordability, and durability.

If the current spate of patterned-hat wearers develop an affinity for high-quality, professionally manufactured, fur-felt hats with patterns, then there are probably good odds that some of the established hat dealers would begin marketing such products.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I want the ladies fedora pictured here!

These are my type of hats, cheap, easily found, and more accepted. Less ridicule. [huh]

but I still want a *real* fedora.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HatSoup said:
Why don't they (hatmakors) make quality fedoras with prints?

Because they're crap and anyone wanting to buy one will only want to pay about what lunch costs at McDonald's. Those who want quality fedoras don't want their fantastic fedoras with printed crap on them.

(Did that sound enough like Michael Myers' Scottish father in So I Married an Axe Murderer? Not that it was what I originally thought of when I started typing, but it fits!)

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
i knew a t-shirt designer some of his stuff was good im sure it wouldn't be hard to find someone to put a print on any hat , that said the hat would lose value im sure but if you're gonna wear it and are happy with it . The only value that counts is what its worth to you.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
because there's no such thing as a "hatmakor"

and what makes you say the ones you've shown aren't "quality"?
your assessment might prove useful.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If I may venture a guess as to why cloth print fedoras are so cheap, its because theyre not really fedoras. Theyre also cloth and not fur felt which is more in materials, and construction.

Is anything with a pinch in the front considered a fedora?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw