Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are people often saying, that denim-jackets have to be worn open??

Wrapping up 3 threads in one pic
IMG_6152.JPG

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Someone mentioned earlier about closing the bottom button(s), or even zippers, on jackets.

From what I remember, that habit, at least for me, began with Happy Days, as The Fonz always kept his jacket closed at the bottom, at least when he wasn't jumping sharks. I was young and impressionable then. Now I'm not so young and not so impressionable.

The closed bottom served an actual purpose, as well (aside from looking cool - at the time). If the jacket hadn't completely lost its body, keeping the bottom closed kept the weight of the jacket collar off my neck, which often gave me a headache.

IXL

One Too Many
In Oklahoma, at least, keeping the bottom of a jacket fastened can be a survival technique: the winds, on a good day, can beat a guy up pretty good by flailing him with an unfastened jacket.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Here's what I would do:

Button it up when it's cold, and leave it unbuttoned when it's not that cold.

I say the same goes with rolling up the cuffs, and popping the collar. It's probably breaking some leather jacket rule, but i just had to wear my new jacket today, even tough it wasn't really too cold. I left the jacket open, rolled up the sleeves, and surely didn't pop the collar.

IMG_3179.JPG

Jacket open, sleeves rolled up, collar normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner