Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are we doing this?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
I completely agree with you Mysterygal. I don't dress to get attention, but I too must admit that the attention can make me feel pretty good, it's flattering.
My favorite era's to dress are the 30's and 40's. The styles from these eras are glamorous, sexy, flattering to all sorts of shapes, just really well put together. They are a little less conservative than some classics. But, if conservative is necessary it can easily be accomplished with one of the incredibly well fashioned, highly stylized suits from these era's. The clothes are not only flattering, but can be very comfortable. I just feel better about myself when I take my style ques from the 30's or 40's. There are so many different options. There are tailored looks, glamourous evening attire, cute house dresses, wonderful and flattering dresses with intricate details just to be worn to the movies. People from these eras just emitted class. Even during times when money was tight, ladies were always put together, they had a classiness that is not easily accessible in the styles of today. I prefer the vintage style to today's modern wear, for most modern wear isn't as flattering. I do have modern clothes. But I tend to buy from brands that cater to a dressier style. I can find some very pretty outfits at stores like Banana Republic and JCrew. I don't have very much luck at department stores, except the higher end department stores like Saks or Bloomingdales. If I wear a modern outfit, it's usually a nice dress or a skirt with a blouse or a pretty sweater. When I buy modern clothes, I try my hardest to find a designer that takes it's cues from vintage designers. It's not that hard to find a nice tailored look in a modern shoppe. I've actually noticed that a lot of the stores that I buy my modern clothes from have a wide variety of dressier outfits. Good news for me, they aren't selling well, and have been drastically marked down. I keep seeing all these really great stylized classy looking outfits in stores like Banana Republic. But, I rarely see anyone wearing them. It seems like most girls my age prefer to wear jeans and logo t-shirts. I just feel more comfortable, and better about myself, in a pretty skirt or dress. Or, a nice pair of slacks, which to me are much more comfortable than a tight pair of jeans.
Well, I love dressing vintage. I don't do it every day because my daily activities don't warrant it. But, I have been able to find modern clothes with a touch of class like the clothes of the golden era. I just hope these stores keep making them. It seems they aren't selling very well. I really don't get it. I see these stores packed with all of these really pretty clothes, but I have no idea who's buying them, for I never see people out wearing them... Hmmmm.......

I agree with you that those times had more options, there were certain times for certain clothing, depending on what class you were. Lower class, middle class, and upper class. In the morning it was pajamas and maybe a robe. Then the later morning and afternoon, it was a suit or polo shirt or button down shirt for the men, and a dress or a suit for the women. On outtings, the upperclass more than likely dressed formal if the event called for it, and most clothing was probably less revealing than now. But now, there are no options really. You wear what you want. As do we. You see enough of something and you want it. Perhaps that's why those nicer clothes aren't selling too well. They aren't a big buy since jeans and a t shirt are everywhere. That look is the norm, as suits and dresses were back then. I dress the way I do because it looks nice and I'm a bit tired of the dickies and t shirt look. There's too much of it. Vintage clothes are affordable if you look hard enough. It's just looking that's the hard part.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I am not able to dress as vintage as I would like. It is very hard to find clothes in my size. I am a large guy. I do try to wear my modern suits as vintagy as possible. I like the styles back then. Men look like men and women were GORGEOUS. I love the women of the late 30s through the 50s. They were not trampy looking and they wore clothing that left something to the imagination. A woman in seamed stockings just drives me wild. Just check out Jitterbugdoll sometime and you will see what I mean. She is a good reprensentation of a way that women should dress. My wife does a pretty good job herself. I grew up in a family that still had the values of the golden era. My Grandfather served in WWI and my Father served in WWII. I was able to grow up with their values and I am very thankful for that. My father worked for the Railroad and he would come home take off his work clothes, take a shower, dress in a nice suit and then go to the bank or the pharmacy. He would never go to a bank in his work clothes. He would still see his friends that he worked with there at the bank in their work clothes. This was in the 70s and it just made him sick. Not proper. I like his era due to their were no cell phones. I think that is one of the worse things that came out of progress. I can not go into a resturant with out someone talking on a cell phone and now that they have added the portable radio to it, it really irritates me. All you hear now is "beep beep". I have friends now that I don't really know if I have ever seen them without a phone stuck to their ear. If you take it away from them they go into complete shock and can not function. Unfortunately, I have to carry one. I got the most plain model that I could get and only use probably 2 functions on the phone. I need one mainly for my mother to contact me if she needs assistance since my father passed away. If it was not for that, I would chunk it in the ocean. Sorry for the soapbox. I also like the cars better. If you get hit in one of them, the other car folds up like an acordion and not yours. You could just beat the dent back out and good as new. I had a dodge ram truck when I was younger and was hit head on. The truck looked like an acordion and my back was fractured.

Gray Ghost

Warden

One Too Many
We started living our retro life bcuase my wife and I love history.

We started collecting 20th Century artefacts & clothing in the late 90s and by 2000 we did not have enough room for everything, so we started getting rid of the modern stuff and started using the vintage items on a daily basis.

The passion comes from my wife, who loves the clothes, hair styles and music of the period. I enjoyed going along with it as for me, its was a reminder of happy memories spending long holidays with my Grandparents. Plus as a child I was bought up on black and white BBC2 Sunday afternoon films. After a year I to was pretty hooked on the period also. The rest is history as they say...

Warden.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I have the same attraction to the past that others have written about here;the look and quality of the clothes,cars,etc. These styles are most comfortable to wear and as someone here once wrote, "I like to look like an adult" or words to that effect. If vintage fashions suddenly became trendy I wouldn't stop dressing the way that I do. If everyone else suddenly likes suits and high waisted trousers thats fine by me. I'll not change anything. The way I look isn't about being popular (now that's an understatement!).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matthew Dalton said:
I don't think there's any single answer that would be sufficient for the latter.

Um yeah, we're building our cult and we will soon take over the world with style and classic fashion, duh! ;)

As far as dressing vintage, Ive always had an affinity for things old and before my time. I like stuff with a history, a story to tell that was before me. I find that appealing. That and the taylored look of classic clothing is so yummy and personal. Love it.

LD

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
flat-top said:
Check out H&M if you have one in your area. The women's stuff is almost always vintage style, and it's super affordable!
Kind of off the subject of the question at hand, but I did check out H&M today. Thank you so very much for the reminder, although my wallet is screaming bloody heck to ya!! I found some really great, classy, vintage inspired pieces that are not only inexpensive, but surprisingly well made. I have been impressed by the wide selection at H&M in the past, but this time I was completely in awe. They had quite a few vintage inspired suits, with not just jackets and trousers, but skirt options as well. They had many girly fitted sport coats or blazers, made from the cutest of tweed. Pencil skirts in a few different colors and materials. Tweed skirts, tweed pants. Lots of great thirties looking blouses in many different styles and materials. All with a vintage flare. Just about everything they had, from casual to dressy, could be a great alternative to a vintage outfit. I was so pleased to find blouses and skirts instead of seeing the uniform of cargo pants and logo T's. So pleasantly surprised to find classy, elegant, yet fun modern clothes that weren't sloppy. I got exactly what I was looking for. I even got a black tweed suit with a straight skirt and a short fitted jacket with big buttons and a tweed bow, for the cost of one pair of pants at the Gap. Sorry to go on like this, I'm just so excited that I re-discovered H&M today. I dress vintage because I think it is classier, more elegant, more glamorous than the jeans and corderoys of today. At H&M I was able to accomplish the look I wanted. I was very lucky that they didn't have my size in a lot of the things I found. I walked out of the store with 2 giant bags full of clothes, including a very cute fitted fall jacket in black tweed with puffy gathered sleeves and a belted waist. I don't want to think about the number of bags that could have been if they had my size in everything. Oh, happy day. To all you ladies out there who are in need of some new clothes for fall and are on a budget (or not), and like to find modern clothes with a vintage kick, I'd check out your local H&M. I wasn't just amazed at the adorable clothes, but the amount of clothes they had, and the way that all the different outfits were easily mixed and matched, was quite incredible. OK, rant over. Sorry to go on like this, just had to share my excitement with someone....

flat-top

Daisy Buchanan said:
Kind of off the subject of the question at hand, but I did check out H&M today. Thank you so very much for the reminder, although my wallet is screaming bloody heck to ya!!
HA! Awesome! I work in the women's clothing biz, and I am amazed that H&M almost always stays consistantly "retro", while others just run with the trends. Also, they are a true European store, so it could mean that vintage style is "in" overseas.(?) Their men's stuff isn't always so good, but I do often find 40's-50's style knits that totally pass for vintage.

Mojito

One Too Many
I love the quality and the aesthetics of certain periods...the velvets, chiffons and glass beads or sequins of the 20s bring in many elements that I respond to (not to mention the colours!). I've always been like that - played dress up with family clothes that would now be labelled 'vintage' and doodled tabard dresses and elaborate headresses. These days, I love contemporary designers like Lee Matthews, who uses so many attractive elements from, say, the Edwardian period. My favourite is Michal Negrin, with her whimsical Victorian and Edwardian designs - Schwarovski crystal embellished gowns, floating sleeves, almost baroque flowers and women. I wear some of her silky t-shirts bedecked with Edwardian woman and 20s starlets with jeans.

I think it can be inherant. I've always responded to textures and colours, and my little niece - not yet three years old - has been called my 'soul mate' because she's the same. I attended a family gathering wearing a deep teal green velvet 20s jacket with very full neck and sleeves - as soon as I arrived, she ran to me and had to be picked up so she could reverently stroke the jacket.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Deanglen...

deanglen said:
Exactly the idea I had when I first thought about this thread. It's almost as if you read my mind. I'm not necessarily ever going full vintage in apparel, but who knows? The hat's the thing! The only aspect I'd add is that it's cool to think others would be inspired to try a fedora too.

dean

You look really dashing in that hat--it suits you quite well! :eusa_clap Wish I could get my better half to try one! He doesn't seem too enthused about it yet!

Etienne

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Hi Jay:

No need to apologize. A very thought-provoking question that's getting some excellent responses. As for my perspective, I've always felt out of place and been a perpetual outsider looking in, especially growing up in the piggish, berserk, God-awfulness of the Me Generation 1970s. I hated it and was completely out of synchronization with everything and everyone of my generation. Part of the problem, I believe, was that I glutted myself on too many old movies and books and it permanently warped my perceptual biases about conduct and dress. I mean, take one look at how Cary Grant comports himself and then see a Kris Kristopherson film and you tell me which would you choose to be your role model? As for the rest, I've always had a fascination with history and the past. I don't care at all for the attention I receive because it's always of a derrogatory nature (nothing more than a toxic cocktail of ignorance and pure jealousy if you analyse it). I embrace the style of the past because I love it, because it is a natural outgrowth of who I am and what I believe in. And that is as it should be.

Benny Holiday

I simply love the style, the look of those wild 40's ties, beltback suits, wide lapels, hi-rise trousers, polished dress shoes, braces, fedoras, and those crazy way-out zoot suits. I feel comfortable in them, no, more than that, I feel cool, sharp, at home in them. They go with the music and aesthetic I love, the style of art deco, vintage cars, Benny Goodman and Billie Holiday. Bottom line, I guess I dress this way because it's just the way I am!

panamag8or

Practically Family
I haven't quite jumped headlong into the vintage dress yet, I am more interested in vintage accessories, like tie tacs/bars, and my fountain pens. I am more of an antiques fan. I use vintage razors and brushes to shave, and I like household items from the 40's-50's that I can still use today.

Of course, I like the hats, and they can still look good with modern men's dress shirts and pants. My next baby step into vintage will be some really cool hand-painted ties for work.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I do not dress vintage - but I have some vintage jackets, boots etc I wear every day. Mostly flying gear.(Irvin, A2, RAF BD jackett etc.)
The reason I wear it, is because of its heritage, history and quality.

Every other year some fashionfirm comes up with a "military-collection" or some "Urban-aviator"-trend-nonsens...Instead I wear the real thing.
Every year!
Why? Because I like it. And it's become a part of me - and my image.
So sometimes I find myself being very trendy. And two months after I am hopelessly out of date. But who cares - it all comes back. Just like Raybans.:)
I know what I am wearing and why - trendfollowers don't!

I like their style! But I stay for the values!

For me, it has to do with what I like and what made an impression on me as I grew up. When I was a little kid in the late fifities and early sixties I got an eyeful of very classic TV in the form of re-runs on the NYC TV stations. I was an Our Gang / Littles Rascals disiple and got many value lessons from the B&W Superman series. I loved the 3 Stooges, Marx Brothers and W.C Fields along with Ganster films and tons of other stuff that was vintage. So often, you would get a real view of some truly great fashions, fashions that are iconic, they describe a time plus the associate attitudes and values of that era.

It may be all minusha really but I pine for value systems of those times. Today in a pursuit of modern style and casual, we get a value system that is for all intents and purposes Corrupted. Like the sons of the farmer in "The Good Earth" we churn out every year the spoiled, self centered, insolent, lazy and worthless, without honor, devoid of any sense of duty or decency.

I had visitors recently and my 10 year old cousin was frightening: selfish and uncaring, without empathy to others and incapable of sharing, demanding and without any thanks forth coming for anything.

So, if I should perhaps put on some rose colored glasses to view the past and try to associate myself with it, you may realize that I regard much of the world as being all of about 6 days away from a lifestyle of Mad Max as the the Road Warrior. (Last of the V8 Interceptors, be a shame to blow it up!)

Then we'll all be pining for civilization along with our next meal.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will be farming for those that didn't.

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
For me, it has to do with what I like and what made an impression on me as I grew up. When I was a little kid in the late fifities and early sixties I got an eyeful of very classic TV in the form of re-runs on the NYC TV stations. I was an Our Gang / Littles Rascals disiple and got many value lessons from the B&W Superman series. I loved the 3 Stooges, Marx Brothers and W.C Fields along with Ganster films and tons of other stuff that was vintage. So often, you would get a real view of some truly great fashions, fashions that are iconic, they describe a time plus the associate attitudes and values of that era.

It may be all minusha really but I pine for value systems of those times. Today in a pursuit of modern style and casual, we get a value system that is for all intents and purposes Corrupted. Like the sons of the farmer in "The Good Earth" we churn out every year the spoiled, self centered, insolent, lazy and worthless, without honor, devoid of any sense of duty or decency.

I had visitors recently and my 10 year old cousin was frightening: selfish and uncaring, without empathy to others and incapable of sharing, demanding and without any thanks forth coming for anything.

So, if I should perhaps put on some rose colored glasses to view the past and try to associate myself with it, you may realize that I regard much of the world as being all of about 6 days away from a lifestyle of Mad Max as the the Road Warrior. (Last of the V8 Interceptors, be a shame to blow it up!)

Then we'll all be pining for civilization along with our next meal.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will be farming for those that didn't.

Well said! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Jay

Practically Family
Okay, I've come out of lurking and decided to reveal why I do it.
There are many reasons to my whole equation, the most popular being the STYLE. The stuff just looks awesome and I can wear it anywhere and still feel comfortable. My friends don't even notice it anymore. Or if they do, they're not analyzing my outfit as whole, but maybe a new(old) tie or hat, and give a complement on it. The fact that suits that are 60 years old can make someone like me who is a size 40 and weighs 150 pounds appear to not only be muscular but well-purportioned astounds me.
THE FIT-If I buy a medium shirt today, most likely, the neck will be too big, the sleeves too short and the rest loose and baggy. If I buy a medium shirt from the 50s they seem to be made for people like me. Not too roomy in the chest, perfect sleeve length, and the neck fits great.
THE MEANING BEHIND IT-It represents a high-point in history where right and wrong were clearly defined. Everything was simple. Small towns still had a functional Main Street. I know it could be rough and considered primitive by some, but I'd take it over our current year.
An aside from the previous bulletin, it's too combat the thousands of adults who go out to town in a T-shirt and jeans, pick up groceries in sweatpants, and wear pajamas on an airplane. These people need to grow up and dress their age. Yes, sweatpants are comfortable, but they cannot be responsible and actually try and make themselves look respectable?
Thus concludes my rant. Thanks for all the great posts. With any luck, we'll be at the fore-front of a great Rennaisance.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Everybody's got a right to tug their own oar, but I get kind of down when I read what I think of as "culture warrior language" about how awful people are today because things are too permissive or there are no "values."

I guess I got into this because certain things (I'm pretty choosey – more so than anyone then could've gotten away with!) about the culture of the so-called golden era really drew me in, engaged me, really re-mapped my head in some ways. I started with the music in my early teens, and soon branched out into dress, humor, film, transport, material culture, and just the minutiae and ephemera of daily life. I prefer to focus on the creative, dynamic, democratic and fun aspects of the New Deal era and post-WW2 society before it got too conformist and consumerist.

WW2 itself I can't face head on. I love the airplanes and heraldry and stuff – still dig a good war movie as long as it's not too preachy or gory. But regimentation brings out the worst in me. I lived my 'teens in '40s suits and hats, but with my eyes wide open about Vietnam, so I had a near-pathological fear of being drafted. (I attented a conscientious objector counseling meeting at fifteen.) But I knew men back in the day didn't have the right to choose how they might best aid the global effort. You couldn't just go work in a shipyard, your life itself was government property. So I don't let myself get too close to WW2 emotionally. I've thought about reenacting now and then, even assembled a dress uniform or two, but I hate a military atmosphere too much, even a pretend one.

BegintheBeguine

Reply to Fletch's fine print: my dad was drafted but was allowed to not carry a weapon as a non-combatant in WWII. He was a chaplain's assistant under General Patton's 796th AAA AW BN. He hated violence, and worked for peace, all his life but loved his Army buddies, not because of what they were all doing but because of who they all were. My dad, to the surprise of almost everyone who knew him, attended every one of the 55 Army reunions and suddenly died 2 days after we returned from the final reunion two months ago.
Why do we do this? I was out tonight, resplendent in vintage. An old friend said, "You look great. But, um, why are you, um, dressed up?" I replied, "Because it's Thursday." :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24