Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why bore them to death with navy blue?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I don't understand. It's one of the most boring and ill matchable color when it comes to suits.

They suggest navy blue.
http://men.msn.com/articlees.aspx?cp-documentid=808248

If You get one suit. One suit for starting out a wardrobe, let it be grey. Solid grey. It matches with your black and navy and pretty much all the other colors on the planet.

I think this whole eveyone needs a navy blue suit situation is getting out of hand and driving the public to think that's what a suit is in general, a bland navy suit red tie and white shirt. Very polition. Very Presidential. Very going to sleep looking at another one which isn't as versatile as those who say they are in the know lead you to believe.

What are your thoughts?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'd aggree-
Jeez! look at the prices on those clothes. Jeans for how much?
sunglasses for what?
a $1500 overnight bag?
a tie for $95 bucks?

call me a cheapskate- but I just can't imagine spending this much for things that aren't going to look all that great.

ortega76

Practically Family
I've worked in clothing sales and I find that a grey or navy suit is the best choice for the first or only suit. There is a tendency for many modern men to stay in a vey defined comfort zone. The "presidential" look of navy suit, white shirt and red tie is utilitarian, bland and unimaginative.

On the other hand, I've seen navy paired with a soft powder blue shirt and two-tone blue/blue tie for a sleek look. How about a pink shirt under that navy? Let's not forget the variety of stripes that are increasingly popular these days. I know some don't support wearing navy suits with brown shoes but I like the look during the daytime, especially sans tie. It's a good business casual look.

Not that I dislike grey. I'm simply playing devil's advocate.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's har not to tell people not to buy navy blue. I think it is society's current "that's the everyday suit". I just think that's wrong. There is a reason why the 50's were about the grey flannel suit. The 60's carried that notion, thoguh Kennedy wore alot of navy blue and the world emulated the king. He looked great in the suits, they were his style. Single breasted and Navy blue. It's getting to where people don't even know what a good double breasted looks like and think Navy blue is the all purpose suit... well the all purpose suit isn't blue to me, I think it's gray. Gray in the right shade not only compliments, it can be worn to UN brunchions and works great with black. In fact, before buying a solid navy suit I'd go for black. Save the stripes for your first navy suit.

I think the solid blue has been taken too far. When young men look for a suit and are entering the business worl they will be met by all the others wearing the same old thing in navy blue. And that's not what suits are about.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I much prefer any kind of pattern to a solid color, and I wish the suit-wearing public would catch on to that. I have one solid color piece, and that's a navy blue blazer, which has a place in a man's wardrobe. My only navy suit is a double-breasted windowpane, decidely a step up from solid blue!:)

I'd start a discussion about why modern politicos in Washington always seem to wear suits better suited for a funeral, but that would surely devolve into a thread-closing politically-opinionated slugfest.lol

Brad

WEEGEE

Practically Family
GREY AS WELL

Yes, grey it is for me. I wear my navy blue suit once a month. I have

four different texture or shade grey suits that are in constant rotation along

with suits in brown, green and black. By far I get more use out of the greys.

Feraud

Bartender
Bore 'em to death and drain their wallets..

..is a more appropriate name for the thread! ;)
The article reads more like bad product placement than a serious suggestion for men's wear.
"Fitting in" is what is required in corporate America. The article is doing it's part to help mold the next generation of young white collar employees with too much money and little imagination.
Instead of a $1500.00 Navy Canali suit I suggest three $500.00 suits in black, navy, and gray. :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sorry, but I can't join in on this assault on the navy blue suit, as it's one of my favorites. I believe that its popularity stems from its ability to work with virtually every skin coloration, something that can't be said for grey because of its varying hues.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MK said:
I don't look good in navy blue suits.

That's a shame, MK. One of my favorite suits is an Oxxford navy blue flannel (15oz.Holland&Sherry), three button, peak lapel; paired with brown suede shoes (Edward Green's "Malvern"). I'm counting the days until the temperature drops below 60.:)

The real Henry

Practically Family
I cannot agree with you Matt. But it seems that it's a reason of where you're living. Here in germany most people have solid black SB suits and it's pretty to find navy blue(or any kind blue) suit here. I remember how everyone was staggered, because I wore a modern solid dark grey SB suit with modern wing tips![huh] :eusa_doh:

So I don't think navy really THAT boring.

Regards,
Henrik

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
my heart always sinks when i find a 40s demob suit in my size in navy blue. it seems to be the most common colour but just doesn't 'evoke' the way a brown pinstripe does. perhaps because brown is less common now it is more associated with the past. whatever the reason, i'm a brown suit man through and through.

I like navy blue, but yes, it can get boring.

Someone mentioned the needs of young business types to conform to what is expected. Unfortunately, if you stand out that means you're nonconformist, therefore unable to follow orders. Too independent. These people do not make it to the top in most corporate-type jobs.

Even in science, where the vast majority of the people who will be interviewing you are wearing stonewashed blue jeans and button down oxfords, a suit seems out of place, but a VINTAGE SUIT! In a patterned fabric! They would simply shoo you out the door and disregard you as a nonconformist. (Sad, since most of our ideas of the madcap scientist are well dressed - bow ties etc.)

oh well, things are as they are. I bet people in the 50s were sick and tired of the grey suit: Hence in the film "the man in the grey flannel suit", the main character (Cary Grant?) is a boring automaton for the most part. Following the standard business path ... Things change

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner