Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why bore them to death with navy blue?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not sure why navy blue is more boring than grey. Both are wardrobe staples. It's what you do with them that matters.

Stuttjukken

New in Town
If You only get one suit, navy is OK. Maybe solid navy looks boring, but it´s not wrong to wear a navy suit. I have a solid navy suit I wear for events, a black suit for more formal events, and a charcoal blazer/trouser for less formal events.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I actually prefer navy blue to grey. It has to be a dark, rich navy though. Lighter blue suits don't look good on me.

I don't think reason modern suits are so boring is because of the color. I think it is mainly the weight of the cloth and the cut that makes them boring.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I don't think solid navy is boring at all. In fact, on average, I think it's more interesting than solid gray. Color is always more interesting than its absence, and as gray is just a point between black and white, it's essentially colorless. A nice navy suit can really make the color and texture of a brown suede shoe or a rich silk grenadine tie pop and look spectacular in a way that solid gray just can't.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can see what Matt's saying

but I think, in general, gentlemen like ourselves who take an interest in their appearance will always look for something better than what 'modern' convention dictates is expected of us. So even a standard navy suit, in the hands of a Lounger, would be presented with a bit more style (it may be double breasted, worn with a pocket square, or a different tie or shirt than the standard conservative fare).

In view of the general populace, yes, the skinny-legged navy SB suit is done to death.I like my vintage wide lapels and tailored cut in those amazing hues of brown, grey and blue.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think it has less to do with the fact that it's navy blue and more to do with the fact that it is that navy blue in the paper thin fabric which is used by Oxxford and J.C. Penney's. The vintage suits I find have more pronounced color and texture. The standard suits of today with their charcoal or blue colors are made to fade into the background. Not by cut or construction, through color. You can have an immaculately tailored suit though if it is doen in that super 100's navy blue that is the standard today you look like everyone else on CNBC.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Matt is right.

The problem is that, for the past 30 years or so, dark blue suits have had a sleep-inducing tint to them.

Look at the dark blues of the golden era (below), and you'll see how uninteresting today's offerings are.

Late30sBluePinstripeSuitJacketFront.jpg

Mid30sBlueSuitJacketFront.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
I think it has less to do with the fact that it's navy blue and more to do with the fact that it is that navy blue in the paper thin fabric which is used by Oxxford and J.C. Penney's. The vintage suits I find have more pronounced color and texture.
Good point! I think it is not so much the color itself as it is the material and construction.
I was thinking about the Navy question at work today. When I stepped out for lunch I decided to take a look around. Most of the men are corporate casual in dress pants, white shirt and no tie. The few men (very few) in suits wore gray. I thought seeing a navy suit would be a refreshing change in the city. Nowadays, a tie is starting to look "dressy" for work.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Marc...

There's a Hickey-Freeman at Nordstrom's outlet store in my size that is THIS SAME FABRIC. Unfortunately, it's SB/three button. If I hadn't just shelled out big bucks for a new charcoal gray lambswool topcoat, I'd have been sorely tempted...

Late30sBluePinstripeSuitJacketFront.jpg

Barry

Practically Family
I posted a picture of my first vintage suit a while back. I'm still losing weight and with some minor alterations I hope to be able to wear this at the Saturday night QM event.

It's actually a much darker blue - this photo does not capture the color accurately.

Barry

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
You and I should get in the menswear design business together, Matt.

We can do it the 21st century way: find a niche that the big boys don't bother with, and fill the heck out of it.

I was considering going into menswear this summer after seeing what it's like behind the scenes. Is 3 a crowd?
Maybe I can use a "study abroad" trip in college as an excuse to source mills. I think is the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails