Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1960s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
i was born in the 1960s...
going back to the origonal question...i
hate the 1960s for the way it ruined some great 1950s/early sixties dresses/skirts with the old make do and mend era shortening them !!!:eek: :eek:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Meh. Classical music is not very relevant these days.

John Williams and the film industry might disagree. No John, no Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.

Also, during the recent inauguration ceremony, Yo-Yo and Itzhak played Copeland. All of the other music was relegated to parties.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
You are reaching waaaaaaayyyyy far. If you go out and ask a child today who is say 15 who the Beatles were they would think you are refering to an insect. They may have thought they were more popular than Jesus but their popularity will pale and like Xerxes said of King Leonidas, your name will be stomped out and you won't be remembered for anything. However, we still remember Leonidas and movies are still made about the Spartans. ;)
Mozart and Oscar Wilde will be remembered. :rolleyes:

Ask a 15 year old kid to name one song or hum a tune by motzart, bach, bethoven or any other classic composer and you will get more of a blank than you would asking about the beatles.

reetpleat said:
Ask a 15 year old kid to name one song or hum a tune by motzart, bach, bethoven or any other classic composer and you will get more of a blank than you would asking about the beatles.

Ever hear of Looney Tunes cartoons, Bugs Bunny, Warner Brothers and all the other cartoons that use classical tunes as a backdrop to the action?
Ever see one with Beatles tunes behind it?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
JP, i fear you are out of touch. You are saying some quite foolish things (surprise). The Beatles are ubiquitous in youth culture. There is no-one, beyond the first year of high school (maybe 12 years old), who doesn't know The Beatles. Most of them know much earlier than that. You may not like them, you may think they are over-rated (i actually agree), but extrapolating from your opinions to society at large is never a good base for a line of argument.

Now, ask them to name an Oscar Wilde piece … other than The Picture of Dorian Gray. Or ask them to discuss the work of Oscar Wilde without reference to Green boutonniere flowers or his bisexuality. Good luck!

bk

Baron, I think you are mighty generous concerning knowledge of Oscar Wilde. Granted, he might be a bit better known in England, and the kids might be a little better educated. Ask an American 15 year old about Oscar Wilde, or The picture of Dorian Gray, and you will surely get a dumb stare and a "Huh?"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Meh. Classical music is not very relevant these days. Duke Ellington= influential, but not like the Beatles.

(Before you get up in arms, please remember I'm a classically trained flute player and have a decent perspective on this type of thing.)

Perhaps we should all define "important." Also, I predict a thread hijack.

That's a very good question -- is "important" defined by "enduring familiarity?" We all know a Beatles song or two, but more people know "Happy Birthday." Is "Happy Birthday" the most important song ever written? Probably not. Is relevance important? Sure -- but within what time frame? The Beatles don't even go back fifty years -- they may be relevant today, but how relevant will they be fifty years from now? Will current-day rock-pop culture be any more relevant in 2059 than jazz/big-band culture is today? Or will it be just another niche thing for interest groups to debate about? Once the Boomers have died off, will John and Paul be as culturally irrelevant as Duke Ellington is today?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
peace_is_love_lowres.jpg

I have no problems with the 1960s.
No problems at all.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Since this has turned into a music allegiance thing for the past few posts . Here's a picture of Elvis P.
oct_16_1954_elvis_scotty_bill.jpg

I'm liking the shoes alot but apart from that, the music from Sun records in the 50's spawned Elvis, Howlin' Wolf(recordings released by Chess), Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and many other seminal artistes. By the time the 6o's came they were never the same. But this one studio had IMO an important role in cultural history. Whether 15 year olds (or people of any age) know about it or know more about the Beatles doesn't mean its impact hasn't been there. :eusa_doh: Maybe this should be in the 'Why I love the 50's' thread.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Those damn hippies and their disrespect for the attitudes of their parents, such as war, racism, poverty, voter supression, forced conformity.

It seems to me that the sixties were the last time that our culture was still kind of wide open and simple. I grew up in the seventies and it was so boring, just suburban hell. Although I suppose the cities were different.

I dig the counter cultural revolution and the style from it. Not what it morphed into by the seventies. In the sixties there was some pretty creative expressive dressing. I would think that the members would respect that.

Put it this way, any one of us, could dress in our best and hang out in the hippie days and fit in if you had the right attitude. But try dressing in clothing from fifty years ago in the thirties or forties and you would have been ostracized. I would rather hang out with a bunch of hippies than uptight forties people. forties jazz musicians, maybe a little different.

LizzieMaine said:
That's a very good question -- is "important" defined by "enduring familiarity?" We all know a Beatles song or two, but more people know "Happy Birthday." Is "Happy Birthday" the most important song ever written? Probably not. Is relevance important? Sure -- but within what time frame? The Beatles don't even go back fifty years -- they may be relevant today, but how relevant will they be fifty years from now? Will current-day rock-pop culture be any more relevant in 2059 than jazz/big-band culture is today? Or will it be just another niche thing for interest groups to debate about? Once the Boomers have died off, will John and Paul be as culturally irrelevant as Duke Ellington is today?

Exactly. :eusa_clap

reetpleat said:
Those damn hippies and their disrespect for the attitudes of their parents, such as war, racism, poverty, voter supression, forced conformity.

It seems to me that the sixties were the last time that our culture was still kind of wide open and simple. I grew up in the seventies and it was so boring, just suburban hell. Although I suppose the cities were different.

I dig the counter cultural revolution and the style from it. Not what it morphed into by the seventies. In the sixties there was some pretty creative expressive dressing. I would think that the members would respect that.

Put it this way, any one of us, could dress in our best and hang out in the hippie days and fit in if you had the right attitude. But try dressing in clothing from fifty years ago in the thirties or forties and you would have been ostracized. I would rather hang out with a bunch of hippies than uptight forties people. forties jazz musicians, maybe a little different.

Be happy for boring because if you were of draft age in the 1960s you would be on a plane or boat to Vietnam after basic training. I suppose that wouldn't be very boring though. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I think the world would be better off if there had never been the Beatles and Elvis, rock and roll, rap, hip hop, and whatnot. Just more signs of the downfall of civilization.lol

Brad

reetpleat said:
Baron, I think you are mighty generous concerning knowledge of Oscar Wilde. Granted, he might be a bit better known in England, and the kids might be a little better educated. Ask an American 15 year old about Oscar Wilde, or The picture of Dorian Gray, and you will surely get a dumb stare and a "Huh?"

The Picture of Dorian Gray gets made into a movie every few years and even has various aspects of it used for television shows every few years as well. Dorian Gray has been in movies from movies made after the book to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, on TV from the Twilight Zone of the 1960s to more recent iterations. Dorian is going to live quite a long time. :D ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn