Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1960s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
I don't think they had the Just Say No campaign I guess.
The times might have been a bit more dangerous as that stuff was everywhere and available. That was dangerous to people in a naive time. Now, the children know more about it than we do. ;) :p

I think the drugs are much worse. Crack, and meth are more addictive, I think.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Why do I hate the 60s? Let me count the ways,..

In a word, it was the sheer cheapness of the decade, it was the decade of tawdry plastic and planned obsolescence. I was there,..I saw it,..:eusa_doh: (Also, it was the direct precursor of the even more awful 70s!) :eek:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
It's true. The quality of manufactured consumer goods went way, way, WAY down. I don't know how people put up with it ... or were they a captive market?

Yes I think they were, they were not oblivious to it. My parents decried the shoddy workmanship which began to overtake the marketplace and longed for "the good old days".

Maj.Nick Danger said:
In a word, it was the sheer cheapness of the decade, it was the decade of tawdry plastic and planned obsolescence. I was there,..I saw it,..:eusa_doh: (Also, it was the direct precursor of the even more awful 70s!) :eek:

That was true but it was also a preoccupation with modernity. It meant out with old and in with the new cheap crap. Plastic was new and modern. You had people saying that the future was plastics and all that tripe. They were right. However the future looks like plastic that fell apart and broke like your old Mr. Potatohead. Plastics without any UV protectant meant they fell apart after a short amount of sun exposure. It still does today but after a longer time. I'll take wood and metal over plastic any day when it comes to rough and tumble wear.

Marc Chevalier said:
It's true. The quality of manufactured consumer goods went way, way, WAY down. I don't know how people put up with it ... or were they a captive market?

Captive market, cheaper goods, foreign competition with cheap goods---all of that but it was not necessarily cheap at first. They were state of the art materials and everyone wanted to be modern so out went the wooden radios, TVs and any other consumer good that looked like grandpa's. It was pitiful.:eusa_doh:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
jamespowers said:
That was true but it was also a preoccupation with modernity. It meant out with old and in with the new cheap crap. Plastic was new and modern. You had people saying that the future was plastics and all that tripe. They were right. However the future looks like plastic that fell apart and broke like your old Mr. Potatohead. Plastics without any UV protectant meant they fell apart after a short amount of sun exposure. It still does today but after a longer time. I'll take wood and metal over plastic any day when it comes to rough and tumble wear.

Look up Vance Packard's books from the late fifties/early sixties -- he predicted all of this before it happened. When the Boys from Marketing got full charge, it was beginning of the end for America as a manufacturing power.

LizzieMaine said:
Look up Vance Packard's books from the late fifties/early sixties -- he predicted all of this before it happened. When the Boys from Marketing got full charge, it was beginning of the end for America as a manufacturing power.

Not only the marketing guys but the accountants. Nothing mattered but making money. Sell them junk for high prices and increase profits. Wonderful. :eusa_doh:
Packard was way ahead of his time but he didn't move fast enough to get out of the way. [huh]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn