Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1960s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Black holes are good for getting rid of that problem. :p
And geez, can we get over the Beatles already? I am tired of hearing about a group that lasted a few short years and put forth nonsense songs---goo goo go away. :rolleyes:
Throw in Vietnam, Johson, Tiny Tim (here we go I know) and a host of neru jackets and fake fabrics. PU!:eusa_doh
:

Saying what one will, long after we're gone and forgotten, James, John, George and Richard will be remembered for their cultural contributions much as Mozart and Oscar Wilde are remembered today. Every new generation of children pick up on it as soon as they can talk, singing na,na,na,na,na,na,na, or 'Yellow Submarine' with a natural glee. Like it or not, those four lads are the cultural standard bearers for the twentieth century (John Lennon was chosen by Time magazine as one of the top ten influential people of the century!)

In the words of James Paul McCartney, "Let It Be" :eusa_clap

-dixon 'beatle' cannon

just_me

Practically Family
I know that I might be in the minority at the FL, but I loved the 60s. ;) Yes I did and the early 70s too. The 60s and early 70s in NYC was an exciting, exhilarating, and stimulating time. I am glad I was there then. :)

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
I hated the 80's & 90's much more than the 70's or 60's. But then most things are rubbish really. The 60's in Britain were generally a good time or so I'm led to believe. One thing I hate about the sixties is that Elvis was ruined by being in bad movies...such a waste.

der schneider

One of the Regulars
the sixties also known as thje Corvair decade. I own 3 and 1/2

I didnt have the detective set but I had a Johnny Eagle lever action rifle and peacemaker set. They dont make cool toy's like that anymore.

toy guns dont make people into bad guys by the way.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
just_me said:
I know that I might be in the minority at the FL, but I loved the 60s. ;) Yes I did and the early 70s too. The 60s and early 70s in NYC was an exciting, exhilarating, and stimulating time. I am glad I was there then. :)

Hear! Hear!!... My sentiments exactly. It was the 'Golden Era' of Rock & Roll. I ask you this; In 1965, was it likely that you'ld turn on the radio and hear a song from 1925 or 1935 and recall it with vivid ideation and happiness?...not even likely. But today, it is not unusual at all to hear a song from 1965 and hear it as if it was brand new again, sing along and have vivid joyous emotional reactions. That is what defines the '60's... common people like you and me that were freed from the confines of earlier generations and created music (and film and literature and technology) that touched a common theme amongst us and plucked a common thread that binds us.

I was born in the mid-50's and experienced the fabulous '60's unfold everyday of my life. I love the sixties as I love life itself - it defines me! :eusa_clap

-dixon '68' cannon

just_me

Practically Family
Dixon - well put. My experiences in the 60s (and early 70s) define me and made me the person I am happy to be today.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
just_me said:

You're not alone. There are far too many great things that came about then for me to say I hate the whole decade. Actually, I can't say that about any decade that I've lived through or spent any serious effort to study. There is always something good to find. The early 60s had some terrific men's clothing. Also great Jazz and some of my favorite films. James Bond, Michael Caine in the Harry Palmer films, Fellini, Woody Allen, etc.

Staying away from the political I can find things that I don't care for though. Ugly American cars, overrated Pop Art, mid-decade Goddard basically stops making interesting films in favor of heavy handed propaganda.

I don't really hate the Beatles, but to say that they are the most important cultural reference of the 20th Century is a bit much. There were any number of artists before them whose contributions made the Beatles possible. Without Louis Armstrong where would popular music be? And Frank Sinatra. I don't really like Elvis, but without him...The Beatles were important just not the most important in my opinion. Now let's get on with bashing those awful longhairs...

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
The John Birch Society. 'Nuff said.

From Wikipedia:

The John Birch Society is a political education and action organization founded by Robert W. Welch Jr. in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1958. The society supports traditionally conservative causes such as anti-communism, support for individual rights, and the ownership of private property.[1] It promotes U.S. independence and sovereignty and opposes globalism and international regional groups, such as the European Union, or what the society claims is a proposed North American Union.[2]
The Society is on the right of the American political spectrum. [3][4] Its website states: "In the United States, however, a conservative is one who seeks to support and retain the traditional institutions of the U.S. government, including the rule of law under the Constitution, and the political doctrines of individual rights and freedom as espoused by the Founding Fathers." [5]

Nuthin' wrong with that in MY book, friend.
:)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE
I was born in the mid-50's and experienced the fabulous '60's unfold everyday of my life. I love the sixties as I love life itself - it defines me! :eusa_clap

-dixon '68' cannon[/QUOTE]

Me too. I remember going to high school wearing a hot pink acetate shirt with a multi-colored tie. A senior grabbed me by the tie a lifted me of the ground and shook me. Never worn that tie again. High school for me was the best seven years of my life.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sefton said:
I don't really hate the Beatles, but to say that they are the most important cultural reference of the 20th Century is a bit much. There were any number of artists before them whose contributions made the Beatles possible. Without Louis Armstrong where would popular music be? And Frank Sinatra. I don't really like Elvis, but without him...The Beatles were important just not the most important in my opinion. Now let's get on with bashing those awful longhairs...

Good point. I have never liked rock music -- I didn't listen to it growing up, we didn't have it in our house, and our local kid culture didn't pay any attention to it anyway. It just wasn't an important part of our lives. But I did know who the Beatles were -- and I even liked some of their songs. That was their strength -- you didn't *have* to be a part of the whole Stereotypical Sixties Culture thing to like them, they had something for everyone.

But to call them "the most important musical figures of the 20th Century," or whatever the phrase is, is just typical Boomercentric hyperbole. They were important figures in the last third of the 20th century, but there was a good sixty-odd years that came and went before anyone ever heard of them. George Gershwin, Cole Porter, and Jerome Kern made rather significant contributions as songwriters before Lennon and McCartney were even born. Bing Crosby was as dominant a performer in his era as they were in theirs, and like them, his appeal crossed generations, language boundaries, and national borders. And on and on and on, unless you're a columnist for Rolling Stone who thinks the world began in 1960.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails