Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Am I the only one who hates the 1970s? People have been defending that era lately. I was born in 1970 and I hated the styles. I remember them well. My friends' parents -- even the parents of my schoolmates in my lower-class, heavily immigrant Catholic grade school from 1976 - 1982 -- sported these styles. My father, in contrast, was born in 1921 so he wore a suit, coat, tie, smart horn rims, and wingtips every day. To me, his look was terribly handsome; to me, the flared jeans, long hair, facial hair monstrosities, and colors on everyone else were just apalling. So were the drawn-out diction, the vulgar jokes, the public improprieties, the unbathed bodies. These things repelled me even as a little child.

Is it just me? Is there something good about the 1970s that I have missed (besides the many interesting films of the era, which are nevertheless difficult to watch because of the horrid hair- and clothing-styles sported by the characters)?

Do the rest of you feel this way, or am I just a hateful misanthropic bad man?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Maybe you hate the 1970's because you live in Berkeley!:p Many of the decades most identifiable markers (fashions,attitudes,language,etc.)aren't my cup of tea either. I grew up in that decade (born 1965) and have mostly good memories of it though. Sure, I wore terrible clothes back then but at least I was just a youngster. Mom bought my clothes...I've got an excuse!lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I hated the '70s while I lived there. I like the decade better in hindsight. Some good music, films, comedy, karate, and (so I've been told) 'intimate encounters.' The rest of it was awful.

I'd say that 1977 was its nadir. Looking back now, even Star Wars -- which seemed so 'rad' at the time -- was lame in a goofy '70s way.

Doran said:
Is it just me? Is there something good about the 1970s that I have missed (besides the many interesting films of the era, which are nevertheless difficult to watch because of the horrid hair- and clothing-styles sported by the characters)?

Do the rest of you feel this way, or am I just a hateful misanthropic bad man?

You aren't alone. Second to the 60s the 70s is my most hated decade. The clothes stunk, the general atmosphere stunk and it seemed to signal the certain death of decorum and acting like a human in public. :rage: :eusa_doh:
Lets recap:
'Budgie' Jacket
'Wet Look' Boots
'Wooly-Mammoth' boots
Angel Flight Suits
Anti Shark Bracelet
Apache Tie
Apple Hats
Banana Jeans
Bead Chokers
Bear Trap Sandals
Bell Bottom Jumpsuits
Bell Bottoms
Blue Jean Purses
Bombay Thongs

And that is just going down to the Bs

Then there is the music:
THE TOP 10 SONGS OF THE '70s
1. You Light Up My Life Debby Boone
2. Night Fever Bee Gees
3. Tonight's The Night Rod Stewart
4. Shadow Dancing Andy Gibb
5. Le Freak Chic
6. My Sharona The Knack
7. The First Time... Roberta Flack
8. Alone Again (Naturally) Gilbert O'Sullivan
9. Joy To The World Three Dog Night
10. Bridge Over Troubled Water Simon & Garfunkel

Need I say more? PU!

Regards,

J

Kimberly

Practically Family
I try and find positive traits in all the decades but have a really hard time with the 70's. The clothes were terrible, the hair was sloppy, the furniture was revolting and social and personal responsibility slowly started turniing into "if it feels good, do it".

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hey! The Knack's "My Sharona" was pretty darn good for 1979 ... compared to some of the other stuff out there that year. On the positive side, 1979 (for me) meant Blondie, The Cars, The B-52s, The Ramones, and Devo. All of which I still like occasionally.

Parallel Guy

One of the Regulars
Maybe saying this in the Fedora Lounge isn't the brightest thing to do seeing as how the forum is kinda based on the classic look and all, but I'm glad that styles changed and that today's sharp is tomorrow's flat. I think change, even the hideous keeps us from being sterile and boring. Besides having graduated in 1976, I wore nothing but bell-bottoms and 1) I have never been able to explain why they were cool, but oh yeah, baby, they were, and 2) I would put them up against sagging any day of the week.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wouldn't say I hated the '70s -- but I didn't *understand* them. I felt like I'd been dropped down into a culture that didn't reflect anything that made sense to me, and I couldn't understand why everyone else seemed to like it so much. And keep in mind that where I lived it was basically the '50s until about 1975 or so, so we didn't even have to bear the decade's full brunt. I think if I'd had to spend the '70s in Berkeley or some place like that, my brain would have ruptured and I'd have spent the rest of my life staring catatonically into the darkness and muttering "not the polyester, please, no..."

Kimberly

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Hey! The Knack's "My Sharona" was pretty darn good for 1979 ... compared to some of the other stuff out there that year. On the positive side, 1979 (for me) meant Blondie, The Cars, The B-52s, The Ramones, and Devo. All of which I still like occasionally.

You are right! I forgot about that. I LOVED the B-52's and still play my CD sometimes while driving. I did love a lot of the new wave music out there but I always associated it with the 80's.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
The 70s was a very original decade. I grew up then and am still fascinated by the styles and lifestyles. I actually think people dressed up more than in the late 60s. Going out to the discos was a dress-up event. All that decadence came crashing down though. I'm glad I lived through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner