Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Do You "Dress Up"?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Excuse the term I used for wearing dressier clothes according to today's standards, but for those who wear suits and dresses on a regular basis or on occasion, whether vintage or not, exactly why do you do it? When did this feeling of creating such an image first come to you? Has it taken over your wardrobe completely or is it every so often that you decide to "dress up"? I'm very curious to everyone's answers.

pistolpete

Familiar Face
For the chicks! I concur.

Men are the peacocks. We are expected to dress/look fantastic. I love the attention. I was in Portland last month @ Jake's Grill; in the wonderful Governor Hotel, where I was staying, and feeling completely @ home for once, and heads were turning; (All I had on was a windowpane sportscoat and pearl grey flannels.) My female companion commented, "Everyone thinks you are someone important." Ridiculous.
I was dressed appropriately for the occasion. Go figure.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've dressed up mostly for work and wear casual but nice-looking clothes (including jeans) everwhere else except dances.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I generally dress business casual for work during the week, although I do have an opportunity to really dress several times a month for Masonic functions and for special weekend events. The remainder of the time I usually wear nice jeans and sweaters or bowling-style shirts and appropriate headwear as weather and season dictate. Dressing differently than the everyday jeans and camo-flannel shirt wearing Wal-Mart crowd not only makes me feel good about who I am on the inside, I hope it conveys to others about how I choose to be perceived as well.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recall my Dad telling me many, many years ago that if I wanted to be respected, I would need to dress like I commanded respect. Neat, clean, and appropriate dress goes a long way in getting your foot in the door. Of course after you're in the door, the rest depends on your skills and ability; but the mode of your dress does mean a lot for that first impression.

I've spent the past 30 years working at a State mental institution. I began my career working as a Health Care Tech on the wards. I always tried to dress appropriate to my job (nice khakis, not blue jeans) and always a starched lab coat. It made a difference with the patients, some of whom are still here and remember me from those early days.

For the past 20 or so years, I've had a job in management. I always wear a coat and tie (usually a three-piece suit). Our hospital employees about 1300 staff. I'm the only one who wears a three-piece suit (and wears a hat). Almost every employee (and all our patients) call me "Mr. Brown" or "Sir". Our Hospital Director/CEO is called by his first name. So, you tell me if dressing appropriately ("dressing up") makes a difference.

So, to directly answer your question: I "dress up" because I have pride in myself and in my work, and by commanding the respect of the patients, staff, and visitors to our hospital, I am better able to do the job I have been entrusted with.

Besides, chicks dig it. [huh]

Valhson

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to add a statement to the "ladies dig it" postings here of which I am one...

and add that... "Only ladies that matter" dig it! :D

Honestly though, all females thoughts aside for a second. I feel better, like I am not crapbagging it that day, sort of better, I enjoy the feeling of being all together and wrapped up well.

That and being sized as your typical rugby s**t brickhouse with calvesthe size of some peoples thighs ... jeans don't fit that well and aren't worth getting tailored

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Valhson said:
I ... being sized as your typical rugby s**t brickhouse ...

:D

Interesting. I've never heard of a "s**t brickhouse". Around here, it's usually "built like a brick s**thouse". [huh]

Sunny

One Too Many
I work better.

I started wearing skirts and nice sandals or boots (depending on the weather) and occasionally hats my senior year in college, instead of jeans and t-shirts and sweatshirts. This was in 2004-2005, when skirts were definitely still "dress up" and not casual wear. To be completely honest, I had gained some weight and skirts were just about all I had that fit, besides being more comfortable, than jeans. I discovered, however, that I paid better attention in lecture. When stranded on campus between classes, I was also more likely to spend the time studying than goofing off. I also enjoyed dressing the morning and working on looking nice, than just being comfortable.

Now my job is in a business casual environment. The median age of the workface is several decades above my own, and many people still wear dress shirts, ties, and suits, beside others who wear polos and khakis. Therefore I've felt free to dress nicely. True, from day to day I go from business-like to elegant to retro-sporty, depending upon the weather and what I feel like, but I'm rarely truly casual. I occasionally wear jeans on casual days, but I don't think I've worn trousers otherwise. Weight is thankfully not the issue; I still simply prefer skirts, and it's purely incidental that they're perceived as "dress up."

On casual days, I am far more likely to not feel like working, to sit sloppily at my desk. The more casually I'm dressed, the more casual my attitude toward my work. The very act of dressing carefully in the morning mentally prepares me for the day.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Big Man said:

Interesting. I've never heard of a "s**t brickhouse". Around here, it's usually "built like a brick s**thouse". [huh]

careful, where I come from there is a lot of wind and you got to be careful cause if you build with s**t the wind will expose the brick. And one shouldn't expose a brick.:eek:

okay, so I got it wrong.:eek: I will try better next time

Back on topic though... why do the ladies here "dress up?"

The Shirt

Practically Family
Fellas dig it too

Well this lady dresses up because my mother always made me. Actually I grew up going to a catholic school with uniform skirts until I made it to college. I found myself far more comfortable in a skirt, with a neat and clean appearance because it was habit. But then the big bad grunge movement happened and I began to sport my cute vintage dresses with combat boots. Yes I admit I was one of those. Years upon years later when finding the right mate consumed me, I became convinced that I could meet Mr. Right just about anywhere. I certainly didn't want a poor first impression - so it it simply habit to put myself together before I leave the house.

I just feel uncomfortable if my hair is a mess or I hate what I'm wearing. I count the minutes until I can go home and change. I don't necessarily think it's vanity - I simply feel more comfortable looking put together, I can focus better on more important things.

Johanna

One of the Regulars
I just love clothes, and hair, makeup and everything that goes with it. I've never had an interest in looking "normal" or boring, and I don't get the concept of following trends. Neither do I dress some way just for the sake of looking different. I just have a genuine and huge love for looks and beauty and try to look the way I want to look.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I truly appreciate seeing a woman who has taken the time and made an effort to look like a lady, rather than one who lives in sweats, or even worse, the many young girls who let their "muffin tops" protrude for all the world to view because their clothes don't fit properly. I know the ladies are subjected to slovenly guys as well, but unfortunately, I think that the sloppy-macho thing is often viewed as "sexy" by many...I just don't understand.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The Shirt said:
...I became convinced that I could meet Mr. Right just about anywhere. I certainly didn't want a poor first impression - so it it simply habit to put myself together before I leave the house...

I still live a few blocks from Mr. Wrong. I don't want him to see me and think, "I'm well rid of her."

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Well yes, it is definitely dug. But the simple fact is that I feel more comfortable in a suit when I know people are looking, and have since my late teens.

ehappy

Familiar Face
...just some of my many reasons for playing dress up :)

• I don't go out looking like someone that bought their dress at a local mall or some such...boring!
  • There's hardly someone else that will be dressed just like me - I like to show my individuality!
  • Clothes from certain eras look better on my body type (curvy girl here!) than modern clothes
  • People always compliment me and ask where I get this and that :)
  • Reduce, reuse, recycle - wearing 'old clothes' keeps them from going to my local landfill
  • Might as well advertise my wears/wares!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy