Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Dont People Wear Coats Anymore?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was just downtown on a windy, bone-chilling cold morning, running errands -- and it struck me that I was the only person I saw wearing an actual *coat.* There were a few puffy ski jackets in evidence, which make sense in weather like this, but to my astonishment most of the folks I saw were going around in light spring jackets, hooded sweatshirts, and other such things that I never used to see on the streets in February. (For the record, it's 18 degrees out right now, and very windy.)

It's not like people around here don't know what cold weather is -- and I can't imagine they aren't actually *freezing to death* in these little jackety things. Just doesn't make sense to thin-blooded, cold-sensitive me.

So is this a trend or something? Is hypothermic red the new suntan? Or has there been some quantum jump in human evolution that I missed out on that makes the modern generation impervious to extreme cold? And is this happening where you are?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have seen it, too. I see about 400 people a day at my library (not exaggerating, we have a people counter) and I can't believe some of them are still wearing shorts. And the ubiquitous flip-flops. It is 19F right now. I have seen some lovely coats, however, so all is not lost.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's definitely happening where I am too. And it's even worse with the younger generation: when dropping my kids off at school, I notice that there's always a large contingent in just shorts(!), T-shirts, unzipped hoodies, etc. And when driving to work, I often notice folks in adjacent cars without coats, sometimes just in short sleeves.

Mind you, it's been deep-freeze conditions here too - this morning it was 9 degrees plus a hefty wind chill. But I have noticed this trend accelerating in recent years... and I simply don't understand it. Here I am in wool socks, cords, a long-sleeve polo, a wool sweater, a B-15 jacket and fedora, ragg wool gloves - dressed appropriately, I think... but I am seriously overdressed compared to a big chunk of the population.

It's bizarre!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
When I was a pre-teen and teenager, it was considered "cool" to wear as little as possible in the coldest weather. (It was also "rad" to bring a slice of cold pizza to school for lunch. Go figure.) This 'bundling down' had two purposes: to defy one's sensible parents, and to show one's disdain for the cold. To suffer while scoffing at the pain was to show strength. And when I was a teenager, strength was everything. The so-called weak were chewed up and spit out.

Those teens who laughed at the face of winter (and somehow didn't die of pneumonia) have since grown up and had their own kids. The pattern is repeating itself.

BegintheBeguine

Every day I hear several children with hacking coughs! Hm, no wonder I had 3 colds in a row....Wear a hat and mittens, already, children!
I liked the good old days, when the Michael Jackson short jacket look ended and the heavy parka and boots trend started! (Some of you may remember I live in the inner city.) Now it has devolved again into the latest idol's skimpy togs. Brrr.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Well, I live in Arizona so it's not half as cold here during the winter as it is in other areas, but even when it is cold enough to wear a coat, few do. I think the most annoying fashion mystery that you see around here is the sweatshirt and shorts combo. If it's cold enough to wear a sweatshirt, then I would say it must be cold enough to wear proper pants as well--but apparently that's now it works. :rolleyes:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I don't think we have nearly as much sickness as we once had thanks to sanitary conditions and the public having had a heavy spotlight on them for a few generations.

No coats... I know. Damn these advancements we've had in indoor heating and automotive transportation. The world's not hot enough to deam such grand differences though Mankind like with the hat is making it possible to live without a coat. No more recess at some schools, Californians run inside and cancels events when it rains. We were once slaved by the whether and now we head inside to watch the TV rather than toss a ball back and forth on the muddy field.

"Come inside"

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Winter Coats

Coats are worn here in Chicago, where the arctic freeze is slowly
losing its grip. I saw a gentleman wearing a long overcoat similar to
that worn by Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition this morning,
and was tempted to ask where he got it. Ahhhh. The quest continues.... :eek:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In freezing, windy Tierra Del Fuego, not too too far from where Antarctica begins, the indigenous Ona tribes spent most of their time naked.

In the freezing mountain peaks of Patagonia, I saw German tourists hiking in shorts and t-shirts.

Maybe some people are just immune to the cold.

Big Man

LizzieMaine said:
... It's enough to send one to Bedlam...

Bedlam? Did I hear you say Bedlam? :D (I work in a state mental hospital, so "Bedlam" caught my eye.)

You ought to see how the people dress here at our "Asylum". No, not our patients (they dress appropriately), our staff are the ones who I often just look at with amazement.

It can be 20 degrees outside and you will see many folks dressed in shirt sleeves (or just a light coat/jacket), but let the weatherman predict snow (you don't have to get the snow, just the prediction with a few flurries starting to fall), you will see parkas and fur-topped boots on just about everybody. I really wonder where we find these people. [huh]

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
The thing people don't think about is even though you can wear shorts and flip-flops in your heated car when it is 18 degrees outside, what do you do when your car breaks down and you are stranded?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What kills me is that I see people here in the citay and it 40 degrees out, but people are in shorts and a tee and flip flops. [huh] I guess they think that its SF, it will warm up in a bit. Who knows.

Mostly all I see are those thin fitted 'suit' jackets for women, no hat and a HUGE scarff wrapped around their necks. Forget gloves or anything for the head.

I dont care if I have the 'old lady' look with my coat (I love coats!) scarf, hat and gloves, Im warm and happy :)

LD

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Lizzie,
You're right, there is something different going on. Even last winter the black North Face parkas were fashionable. This year, I have seen only a few parkas on anyone under 30. Instead, everyone is wearing hoodies. This is some sort of new trend and another step in the growing informality of American fashion; our "gift" to the world.

Oh, and the people I see are freezing in them, but standing still standing out on the T stop shivering.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie, it was none other than your fellow Mainer E.B. White who wrote that the overcoat is a curiously unsuitable garment – open at the neck, open at the sleeves, open at the bottom.

But I don't recall what he recommended in its place. :rolleyes:

Big Man

Hemingway Jones said:
... Oh, and the people I see are freezing in them, but standing still standing out on the T stop shivering.

We can only hope that "natural selection" will take place and at some point in time those who are too stupid to dress correctly will have eliminated themselves. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace