Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
jlee562, I totally get what you're saying; the blogosphere has become a necessary facet of supplemental news information.

On the other hand, a blog is nothing more than an editorial. John Doe is not representing The Cedar Rapids Gazette, he's representing himself and his blog Doe-Ra-Me (totally made up, but clever blog name - you can PM me for a checks-payable address). Yes, he must show some kind of constraint and professionalism if he hopes to do well by his readers, but at the end of the day, and in a sea of disinterested internet people, he only answers to himself.

Let's put it this way; what does The Dish blog mean? What does it stand for? What impact does it have on the D.C. community? Does it employ 500 people? Does it reside in a marble and granite building that folks can walk by on their way to lunch? If the presses stopped tomorrow and demolition were to commence, would people fondly remember it?

I'm not trying to create a straw man by drawing comparisons, and neither am I saying that blogs aren't imporant because they're not located in a fancy downtown building. Yet, consider how important The Columbus Dispatch is to that community, as opposed to how unimportant some guy on the internet is to the same audience. If TCD fails in its reporting, or slants its news, or fires its editors, people take notice. It's a tangible, visible thing that sticks in a community's mind. The Dish? Huh? The what? Until this thread, I'd never even heard of it.

So what makes a worthy news outlet? I think a tie to the community, a physical location, staff with differing opinions and perspectives, integrity, objective and unbiased reporting, ethics and standards, a thirst for real reporting, the ability to run an article no matter the controversy so long as the facts are reported. And there are so many more to add to that list, but you get my drift.

Journalism died for me in the 1970s when Gannett swept through the country buying up local papers and broadcasters. There is no longer a civic duty to report news, there is merely a duty to maintain profits at any cost.

You're right to point out that blogs aren't a substitute for local news. At least none of the ones I've seen. They may exist out there, but to be honest, I'm not a huge blog reader.

I do think though, that blogs are more than editorials. If we look at Sullivan's again (only because it's the one I'm most familiar with), his blog was an exceptional source of information on the 2009 election protests in Iran, as well as the Libyan uprising. Both were events that, as someone who studies international relations and is familiar with the tenets of journalism (my thesis adviser was a foreign bureau chief for the LA Times), were not covered very well by western media outlets. For someone like me who takes an interest in those kinds of topics, what The Dish did was to relay first person accounts vis-a-vis social media (which is another "like or not" facet of the world), first hand accounts from bloggers in those respective countries, analysis from commentators of both sides of the political spectrum, and the reaction(s) of the international community.

I would tend to agree with the idea that pre-internet journalism was qualitatively superior, but there's that old expression, sometimes you can't go home. Pandora's box is already opened, and as such, I'm totally alright with blogs filling some of the void.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
On my local craigslist. THEY typed "Hipster":

Hipster yard sale 9/15 9am-2pm (So Portland)
Date: 2012-09-13, 9:05PM EDT
h7ghr-3270415812@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
No hipster parent will want to miss this book-tastic, vinyl-riffic, free range two-family yard sale. Half of this stuff was owned by somebody with a real goatee.

Start your kid off right with his or her own record collection, with plenty of hand-picked ironic 1970s vinyl plus some alternative stuff by New Order and Tegan and Sara. Feel smart when you buy books on non-violent parenting and homeschooling. Impress your friends with books by Atwood, Marx, and Lobel.Want some Tom Waits sheet music? We got it. Quality wooden toys? Yup. Cute and not destroyed baby and childrens' clothes. Of course.

What else? Awesome baby backpack for hiking, Thule car rack, cast iron cookware, cast off t-shirts from a real record store employee, small appliances, Kettler trikes, bikes and golf clubs for kids and adults...and...wait for it... What yard sale would be complete without a train table and a bunch of Thomas the Tank Engine trains.

41 Kelly St. in South Portland (aka SoPo). No earlybirds, please. It's not like we are going to get up early so you can buy stuff for your consignment shop.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

On my local craigslist. THEY typed "Hipster":

Hipster yard sale 9/15 9am-2pm (So Portland)
Date: 2012-09-13, 9:05PM EDT
h7ghr-3270415812@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
No hipster parent will want to miss this book-tastic, vinyl-riffic, free range two-family yard sale. Half of this stuff was owned by somebody with a real goatee.

Start your kid off right with his or her own record collection, with plenty of hand-picked ironic 1970s vinyl plus some alternative stuff by New Order and Tegan and Sara. Feel smart when you buy books on non-violent parenting and homeschooling. Impress your friends with books by Atwood, Marx, and Lobel.Want some Tom Waits sheet music? We got it. Quality wooden toys? Yup. Cute and not destroyed baby and childrens' clothes. Of course.

What else? Awesome baby backpack for hiking, Thule car rack, cast iron cookware, cast off t-shirts from a real record store employee, small appliances, Kettler trikes, bikes and golf clubs for kids and adults...and...wait for it... What yard sale would be complete without a train table and a bunch of Thomas the Tank Engine trains.

41 Kelly St. in South Portland (aka SoPo). No earlybirds, please. It's not like we are going to get up early so you can buy stuff for your consignment shop.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

70s vinyl?!:puke:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
You are hereby cursed. Maye it snow on your old head. :p

VINYL???

SHEESH!!!

Gives me the White Ghost Shivers.

If it is a worthwhile commercial recording then it was issued on shellac, or just possibly on Condensite. Of course some instantaneous discs have mighty important stuff on 'em...

My this thread has certainly, well, gone places.

Where is Miss Sweetie Poo now that we really need her?

Flicka

One Too Many
Tom Waits is great.

[video=youtube_share;B5MXGGcIbkI]http://youtu.be/B5MXGGcIbkI[/video]

One of the few sappy songs I can stand.

Why don't all of yous suck down some cool coffee. Vinyl is awesome. Even when it's 110°, which it was yesterday.The dude can't abide here. No how. No way.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Why don't all of yous suck down some cool coffee. Vinyl is awesome. Even when it's 110°, which it was yesterday.The dude can't abide here. No how. No way.

Well, I can think of one vinyl record which shouldn't be used in the place of a clay pigeon:

[video=youtube_share;WKDXVP5ONC4]http://youtu.be/WKDXVP5ONC4[/video]

Irving Kaufman at the age of 84, recorded in 1974.

Kaufman recorded at his peak in 1926, singing with great prescience about the musical performers of 1974:

[video=youtube_share;ylcm0CC1Cmg]http://youtu.be/ylcm0CC1Cmg[/video]

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!:ee ek::eusa_doh:

Don't know Hetty BooBoo, but Miss Sweetie Poo does her stuff beginning at 0:54:

[video=youtube_share;xAnVNXaa5oA]http://youtu.be/xAnVNXaa5oA[/video]

"Please stop. I'm bored."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183