Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

Flicka

One Too Many
Yeah, it's the only thing that sucks about getting older. He's cute, but I'm nearly old enough to be his mom. I wonder if his dad is just as cute?

You're right. Should've added 'if I'd been 15 years younger' before my statement. I prefer men who are my equals in age, experience and intelligence.

Yesterday I passed a group of teenaged boys on my bike. They started wolf whistling and one of them yelled 'Baby!' after me. I almost stopped and told him that 'No, actually. I'm not your 'baby'. I could, however, be your mother!'

LizzieMaine

Bartender
He might be "jailbait"- he looks young enough to be under the age of consent.

No older than 12, I'd say. He drew on the whiskers with his girlfriend's mascara brush. There's no good accomplished by picking on twelve-year-olds for their fashion choices -- they don't know any better.

I haven't seen one of those big fat watchband/wristband things since I was in the sixth grade.

Last edited:
The sad thing is that that ghastly Morrisette woman (or whoever wrote the song) clearly has no conception of the meaning of "irony". Everything, absolutely everything, mentioned in that dirge is simply misfortune, not irony. Real men wear whatever they damn well please, occasion-appropriate.
Hmm, misfortune? I'd say selling 33 million copies is anything but! lol Misfortune?

You're right. Should've added 'if I'd been 15 years younger' before my statement. I prefer men who are my equals in age, experience and intelligence.Yesterday I passed a group of teenaged boys on my bike. They started wolf whistling and one of them yelled 'Baby!' after me. I almost stopped and told him that 'No, actually. I'm not your 'baby'. I could, however, be your mother!'
Cougar? Racy broads here... lol

He might be "jailbait"- he looks young enough to be under the age of consent.
IMG_5101.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
The sad thing is that that ghastly Morrisette woman (or whoever wrote the song) clearly has no conception of the meaning of "irony". Everything, absolutely everything, mentioned in that dirge is simply misfortune, not irony.

That is the great irony of the song. The song as a whole is ironic, because it so utterly (and consciously) uses the word ironic to mean something different throughout.
M-W " the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning "

That said, it is a particularly dull song.

gdc

One of the Regulars
Well...they DID know...back then... ;)

I suspect a factor in our distaste for 'hipsters' is that they sometimes come across as not authentic. Maybe they are just trying too hard to fit by being different. Youth can be difficult, as many of us can still remember all the peer pressure, hormones, parents, traditions, etc, etc, etc. Face it, the world today has problems and it's a bit refreshing that they are adapting things from the past and making it their own. I believe with maturity, they may well come into something that looks and feels more authentic and lasting than a passing fad. Personally, when I wear a nice vintage hat or garment I'm not trying to be 'hip' as much as having a style that fits me and reflects my personality and values.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Hipster can be defined as embracing old music and fashion, but claiming it as your own, rather than paying homage or admiring the time period it was from. For example, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc. Every hipster has those on their iPod

I suspect a factor in our distaste for 'hipsters' is that they sometimes come across as not authentic. Maybe they are just trying too hard to fit by being different. Youth can be difficult, as many of us can still remember all the peer pressure, hormones, parents, traditions, etc, etc, etc. Face it, the world today has problems and it's a bit refreshing that they are adapting things from the past and making it their own. I believe with maturity, they may well come into something that looks and feels more authentic and lasting than a passing fad. Personally, when I wear a nice vintage hat or garment I'm not trying to be 'hip' as much as having a style that fits me and reflects my personality and values.
Dudes wearing girly sunglasses.Knit caps in the summer.Never use anything to make follicles follow a pattern.The "Meh" says it all. Maybe the one word that makes me want to drop-kick someone.It's overall just a vibe that gets under my skin. I don't care as much about how folks want to dress, but it does scream I'm too cool to give a ****. In return, I don't.

Hipster can be defined as embracing old music and fashion, but claiming it as your own, rather than paying homage or admiring the time period it was from. For example, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc. Every hipster has those on their iPod
Oh I so don't believe that! They all listen to public radio and "eclectic" collections of modern "woe is me" babble. At least here they do :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, gee, I occasionally listen to public radio myself, and I'm as far from a hipster as it's possible to be. It's people who listen to public radio and constantly name-drop David Sedaris or whoever who I want to punch. The wry comic essay goes back a lot, lot further than that -- go read some S. J. Perelman or some George Ade, and then I'll think you're "cool."

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I think I hurt some hipster's feelings... And those aren't nearly the worst of what I see on actual people. Seems we really want to neuter males as much as possible. I always hated the bullies and certain jocks, but come on.

Just seems like another instance of "get off my lawn" because you don't approve of newer trends. Your parents generation said the same thing about you. Gender, such as it exists (which is distinct from biological sex) is a social construction. Therefore what is or is not "gender appropriate" (the standard of which is also a social construction), is entirely arbitrary.

Sorry, it's my social scientist nature.

Well, gee, I occasionally listen to public radio myself, and I'm as far from a hipster as it's possible to be. It's people who listen to public radio and constantly name-drop David Sedaris or whoever who I want to punch. The wry comic essay goes back a lot, lot further than that -- go read some S. J. Perelman or some George Ade, and then I'll think you're "cool."
That was a mistake - I listen to it too - there's a show - something about "being eclectic" that I was referring to. Sorry!

Just seems like another instance of "get off my lawn" because you don't approve of newer trends. Your parents generation said the same thing about you. Gender, such as it exists (which is distinct from biological sex) is a social construction. Therefore what is or is not "gender appropriate" (the standard of which is also a social construction), is entirely arbitrary.Sorry, it's my social scientist nature.
Not totally, but I won't argue that. My kids and their friends are also anti-Hipster. I really like my kids and their friends as they're down to earth, old souls and not pretentious and "woe is me" like many their age. In fact, it was them that really got me informed on the finer details of the Hipsters. I'd wager that it's not just us old farts that feel that way. But indeed, many of us don't like anything new, I'm just not one of them.

Feraud

Bartender
Youth can be difficult, as many of us can still remember all the peer pressure, hormones, parents, traditions, etc, etc, etc. Face it, the world today has problems and it's a bit refreshing that they are adapting things from the past and making it their own.
Perhaps we've forgotten..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou