Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

YETI

A-List Customer
Mind you, this video is around 7 yrs. old.

[video=youtube_share;OYTB4nqTEao]http://youtu.be/OYTB4nqTEao[/video]

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
There are a number of segments of society such as the overly tatooed and pierced crowd that say "look at how cool I am" and then get pissed when you look...

Certainly true. Wasn't there a thread on here somewhere where vintage-dressing folks did just that? Ink, piercings, hats or A2s.... same thing. Of course, it can all be context.... One of the reasons I much prefer living in London to Belfast is that here one can go out dressed in whatever and it's not perceived as a grand 'statement' at all times.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, having bought some 'statement' jeans down in London, now that I'm back in the Dear Green Place I'm trying to work out where and when I can make such a 'statement'. They seemed such a bargain at the time...

Feraud

Bartender
Certainly true. Wasn't there a thread on here somewhere where vintage-dressing folks did just that? Ink, piercings, hats or A2s.... same thing. Of course, it can all be context.... One of the reasons I much prefer living in London to Belfast is that here one can go out dressed in whatever and it's not perceived as a grand 'statement' at all times.
I see no difference in dressing in funny hats and spats versus skinny jeans and day-glo shirts. Either we're all dressing funny and screaming for attention or not. One cannot pick and choose.
Where we fail miserably is attempting to ascribe grand statements and interpret social messages of people we don't know. At least the hipsters are smart enough to keep their mouths shut and not pretend to know what vintage clothing enthusiasts are thinking..
That's why I raised my son in the city. None of that suburban/small town closed minded meanness.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I see no difference in dressing in funny hats and spats versus skinny jeans and day-glo shirts. Either we're all dressing funny and screaming for attention or not. One cannot pick and choose.
Where we fail miserably is attempting to ascribe grand statements and interpret social messages of people we don't know. At least the hipsters are smart enough to keep them mouths shut and not pretend to know what vintage clothing enthusiasts are thinking..
That's why I raised my son in the city. None of that suburban/small town closed minded meanness.

Exactly. I'm far from blameless myself, but one cannot on the one hand dismiss other subcultures as 'attention-seeking' and then complain when we are judged by the same standards. I try to live and let live.... even if I don't understand.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Where we fail miserably is attempting to ascribe grand statements and interpret social messages of people we don't know. At least the hipsters are smart enough to keep them mouths shut and not pretend to know what vintage clothing enthusiasts are thinking..

Exactly. This is why I don't stare at anyone in public. I don't care if they have orange hair, have their face all pierced up, etc. I also don't stare at people who have physical differences, are of different races, or who are wearing the latest fashion. I don't say negative things about the way people look either.

All of this is because when I was a little girl I was taught it was not polite to: 1) stare and 2) make unflattering comments. I was also taught that a person's value wasn't determined by how they look. I don't understand how many people missed these basic lessons or if they were never taught these things or what.

Exactly. This is why I don't stare at anyone in public. I don't care if they have orange hair, have their face all pierced up, etc. I also don't stare at people who have physical differences, are of different races, or who are wearing the latest fashion. I don't say negative things about the way people look either.

All of this is because when I was a little girl I was taught it was not polite to: 1) stare and 2) make unflattering comments. I was also taught that a person's value wasn't determined by how they look. I don't understand how many people missed these basic lessons or if they were never taught these things or what.

This is the best policy however, when you find like on the subway in NYC you must not make eye contact with anyone in case they are psychotic, you're no longer living in a free society but a form of prison.

Feraud

Bartender
We're not quiet living in the "prison" you describe. NYC is a lot less dangerous than the media would have you believe.
Considering the number of people riding NYC subways and living in such close proximity, I'd say we're doing pretty good as a functioning city.
Feel free to make eye contact and say hello the next time you're in town. We don't bite. ;)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is the best policy however, when you find like on the subway in NYC you must not make eye contact with anyone in case they are psychotic, you're no longer living in a free society but a form of prison.

I've seen people out in public who are obviously having a break from reality on public transportation. Most people who are mentally ill aren't dangerous, those that are dangerous are rarely set off by just eye contact. You might get drawn into one of their rants if they are the ranting kind, but considering the person is mentally ill and can't help that they're having an episode, it's not that much of a thing to ask you to *ignore* them if that happens. I spent a good part of my extra time when I was young volunteering around the institutionalized mentally ill and I was never attacked. I listened to quite a few rants about all sorts of things, but I made it out ok.

I've made eye contact with plenty of people in my lifetime. I have yet to get my body chopped up on public transportation and I travel in some "rough" areas. Maybe I've just been lucky all these years, but I don't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails