Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is bow on left side?

hogtied

New in Town
Is it because when we're walking or driving we walk on the right and thus the hat presents itself with the bow to those who will walk past us on our left?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to know more about that particular piece of history, too.
Coincidentally, the pocket square and the boutonniere is on the left side as well. Taken together with the wristwatch which, in most cases, is also on the left, the left half is pretty loaded.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
My guess is that for a right handed person, the extra pocket on the right, or handkerchief pocket on the left is the most easily accessible. Since the hat bow is mostly decorative, perhaps a right handed hatter approaches a hat from the left, with the front of the hat facing forward, and finishes it off most naturally on the left...?

Edward

Bartender
My guess is that for a right handed person, the extra pocket on the right, or handkerchief pocket on the left is the most easily accessible. Since the hat bow is mostly decorative, perhaps a right handed hatter approaches a hat from the left, with the front of the hat facing forward, and finishes it off most naturally on the left...?

That would be my guess too. It's very, very rare to see these oriented the other way around for we southpaws, but given that our "sinister" nature was reviled and distrusted for so long, and even in very recent generation beaten out of us in schools (my grandfather ended up ambidextrous as a result of such arbitrary treatment; in 1979 I was cracked over the knuckles by a preschool teacher who objected to my use of the left hand), it's pretty clear why the dexter way o doing things is still the norm.... Mind you, even if I were to have a bespoke suit run up with everything on the other side, it would feel totally wrong. Can't even feel comfortable with a wristwatch on my right....[huh]

Rathdown

Practically Family
The bow on a gentleman's hat is the last vestige of the cockade worn on the tricorn hats (and "fore and aft" hats) of the 18th and 19th centuries. The purpose of the cockade was both decorative and purposeful as a means of political identification or employment status. As the shape of hats evolved, the use of the cockade (and it's placement) also evolved, leaving the ribbon on a gentleman's hat a purely decorative item, although still fastened on the left, as it had been in days of yore.

Edward

Bartender
The bow on a gentleman's hat is the last vestige of the cockade worn on the tricorn hats (and "fore and aft" hats) of the 18th and 19th centuries. The purpose of the cockade was both decorative and purposeful as a means of political identification or employment status. As the shape of hats evolved, the use of the cockade (and it's placement) also evolved, leaving the ribbon on a gentleman's hat a purely decorative item, although still fastened on the left, as it had been in days of yore.

Is there a specific reason it ended up on the left? I wonder did it come from military hats on which the brim was worn pinned up on one side - the right, of course, in order to facilitate the use of a rifle / sword without the brim getting in the way... that would leave any cockade of any significance needing to go on the left...?

If I remember correctly, were not some men's hats produced with the bow in the rear of the hat?

Yes, Disney (not Mouse Disney) were one brand that did it. It seems to have been a briefly fashionable thing in the.... late Forties? I suppose similar to the fluctuations in ribbon height/width.

Yes, Disney (not Mouse Disney) were one brand that did it. It seems to have been a briefly fashionable thing in the.... late Forties? I suppose similar to the fluctuations in ribbon height/width.

You see back bows on Fedora style hats from the late 1800s onward. They were more popular at different times (1880 - 1960) and places (UK, Europe, USA, ect) but they were always around.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Heraldry and the Cockade

Is there a specific reason it ended up on the left? I wonder did it come from military hats on which the brim was worn pinned up on one side - the right, of course, in order to facilitate the use of a rifle / sword without the brim getting in the way... that would leave any cockade of any significance needing to go on the left...?
Cockades are traditionally made up in the livery colours derived from a nobleman's coat of arms. These colours are the first named metal (silver (Argent) or gold (Or) and the first named colour (red (gules); blue (azure); black (sable); green (vert), etc.) used in the blazon, or heraldic description, of that coat of arms.

Just as the shield bearing those arms was carried by nobles on the left side, retainers of nobles often wore sleeves or ribbons (tied in an elaborate bow around the left arm so as to be out of the way) to indicate employment by or allegiance to a noble house. As fashion changed so too did the placement of livery colours; the elaborate bow on the left arm moved to the hat, but still on the left side denoting it's origins on the shield.

Prior to the 18th century many military cockades reflected the livery colours of their commanding officers; by the middle of that century the cockades on uniform hats began to reflect national unity; blue and white for the Kingdom of Bavaria, black and white for the Kingdom Prussia, white for France, black for the United Kingdoms of England and Scotland, etc. Then, as now, contracts were let to the lowest bidder and hatters, having to turn out a large number of hats for the local regiment, made them as cheaply as possible and to exactly the same style as civilian hats-- and that included placing the cockade on the left side of the hat.

I hope that explains things...

~Scott

Edward

Bartender
I was always under the impression that liberals wear the bow on the left side, and conservatives on the right.

Well... in those parts of the world where people know what "liveralism" really is.... they all wear them on the right. ;) :p lol

Prior to the 18th century many military cockades reflected the livery colours of their commanding officers; by the middle of that century the cockades on uniform hats began to reflect national unity; blue and white for the Kingdom of Bavaria, black and white for the Kingdom Prussia, white for France, black for the United Kingdoms of England and Scotland, etc. Then, as now, contracts were let to the lowest bidder and hatters, having to turn out a large number of hats for the local regiment, made them as cheaply as possible and to exactly the same style as civilian hats-- and that included placing the cockade on the left side of the hat.

Yeah, timeline-wise, that would be when localism gave way to the emergent trend of nationalism across Europe.

I hope that explains things...

~Scott

Much, thanks!

TipTop

Practically Family
Ladies' hats have bows on right side as are their blouse button holes. Men's hat bows are left side like their shirt button holes.
Wonder if there is a relationship????

Same with hair-parting; I suspect right-hand dominance is the root.

TomS

One Too Many
Interesting ideas. I have to say, I'm amazed there is so much to something I never paid any attention to...lol!!

HLP

New in Town
Is it because when we're walking or driving we walk on the right and thus the hat presents itself with the bow to those who will walk past us on our left?
Its to do with ye olde times when people used swords. Most people are right handed, so the decoration on the hat (often including plumed feathers and so on) was to the left to keep the right hand side unfettered, as I understand it.

Its to do with ye olde times when people used swords. Most people are right handed, so the decoration on the hat (often including plumed feathers and so on) was to the left to keep the right hand side unfettered, as I understand it.
I make hats for both men and women. When making one for a woman I still put the bow/feather on the left unless they specifically ask for it on the right. I am thinking these days even women might want to carry a sword!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou