Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is horsehide better than steerhide?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Ah yes, Steer vs. Horse. It's a bit like Chevy verses Ford, or in the motorcycle world Harley verses Indian, Honda verses Kawasaki, BMW vs Triumph.

Really it comes down to personal preference, usage, weight that is desired, and what folks around you are willing to accept. I have found that female folks often turn up their nose at me if I mention I am wearing a Horsehide jacket. However not so much if Steerhide is indicated. One thing I have found is that beyond break-in, creasing, patina, etc is that the smell is different. Not always in favor of one verses the other.

But yes, I can see how this is a sensitive topic. I just enjoy them all, with the real exception of lambskin. You all knew that already.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
For me in days gone by, it was about horse hide being more humane, sadly that is no longer the case where Horween is concerned, I take Stuart at LW at his word, but his secrecy does not increase his credibility, so I don't really know. If it comes from Horween I go with steer, LW I get horse. I also dislike the ease and permanence with which Horween HH stretches out, saggy elbows and paunchy handwarmer pockets don't look good.
I can't say I've noticed this problem...

Peacoat

Bartender
@JLStorm started this thread back in July, 2008 shortly after he joined the Lounge. He hasn't logged in since August, 2014—going on four years. He used to be a fairly regular contributor. Anyone know what happened to him?

Johann

New in Town
@JLStorm started this thread back in July, 2008 shortly after he joined the Lounge. He hasn't logged in since August, 2014—going on four years. He used to be a fairly regular contributor. Anyone know what happened to him?
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised at anyone leaving given the toxicity levels the FL has reached over the years.

Keep moving folks....nothing to see here
IMG_8718.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner