Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is the Bum Look Popular? (formally the unemployed look)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feraud

Bartender
Just to add my .02 cents to this thought..
Baron Kurtz said:
Many people kid themselves that they're bastions of an older, more mannered, ordered time. They're just out of touch with changing attitudes towards appearance.

bk
The idea that clothes in any way dictate the manners and morals of the wearer is utterly ridiculous.

When the conversation takes that "just like in the good old days" tone I start to zone out.. :eusa_doh:

When I was a kid the schools relented and allowed students to wear blue jeans to school. Girls were allowed to wear pants to school but it wasn't the norm. It was a shift in what was permissible and attitudes shifted.

When I was out of high school and entering college the concept of designer jeans as special dressy jeans came to the forefront and there was another shift as to what was permissible and where.

I believe it was in the mid 90's designer track suits were brought forth and became a lifestyle for some segments of the populice and there was a shift in what was acceptable as to where and when.

BUT I have to draw the line someplace and say wearing pajama bottoms outside of the home is truly evil and destructive and is unacceptable - period. It is insulting to others and insulting to the wearer.

What next just bathrobes and slippers, then somebody shows up just wearing their Depends so they don't have to interrupt their texting?:eek:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Once the unemployed look is over, homeless will be cool.
homefotowebsite.jpg

bed1.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Lefty said:
Once the unemployed look is over, homeless will be cool.
Sleep under a cardboard box so a homeless young person doesn’t have to.
A large proportion of the proceeds from the Le Clochard duvet cover go to SZN, the foundation for homeless youngsters in the Netherlands. The income is used to fund housing projects which prioritise supporting young people in finding work or continuing their education.

That's awesome!

Edward

Bartender
I found it quite shocking at first - I have some fairly strong views about homelessness, no doubt provoked by the fact that it is such a major problem here in London. But the intent of the project made me see it in a different light... and hey, maybe being reminded of what some others have to face as we slip into our warm beds after a long night, or crawl out of them in an early morning, isn't such a bad thing, eh? ;)

Foofoogal

Banned
I feel quite the opposite. I believe it will desensitize others to the plight.
A soft comforter is not the same as a cardboard box in the cold.
I wonder how much a large proportion means also. It really kind of makes me mad. Having worked in a food pantry it offends me. [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
There is no doubt the comforter is kitsch and not meant to represent a homeless experience. Consider the item a token reminder of your contribution to the cause. If such a commercial product can do it's tiny part to help homeless youth or at the least make people aware then it's a good thing. That also goes to a celebrity that donates their time/image.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. I found this in the Holiday 2008 issue of T, The New York Times Magazine.

Cody Pendant said:
Wow Lefty, now that was a find. I must admit for the shock factor that is extremely way cool. May have to invest in some.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
Spot the unemployed guy at a job interview: he's the only one in the office that day wearing a suit... ;)

Truer words have never been spoken! At my office, he's typically one of two wearing a necktie - the other being me.

Noel

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Just to add my .02 cents to this thought..
The idea that clothes in any way dictate the manners and morals of the wearer is utterly ridiculous.

When the conversation takes that "just like in the good old days" tone I start to zone out.. :eusa_doh:

Maybe not the manners, and morals, of the wearer. But, the manners of the people that the wearer has contact with. Whether we like it or not, we are judged by our first impression, at least until actions prove, or disprove that impression.

If you're the person that polishes your shoes to a high gloss, you probably take the rest of your work just as seriously. If you're one of those people with the opinion that "it doesn't matter" what you look like, because it "doesn't effect" your work. It may! You probably take that attitude with certain things at work too. Maybe not. You'd have to prove that your "don't give a crap" attitude only applies to your dress.

Fletch mentioned it in another thread. Regarding President Reagan's handlers, having him adopt the "cowboy" look, so he wouldn't be perceived as an "Eastern sissy." At some point after the 1950's, American society started to adopt a decidedly Marxist prejudice against looking like you have money, are educated, etc. That prejudice has been being pushed steadily down, farther and farther, until the definition of "rich" includes anyone that has a job.

(My 'trickle down' fashion theory)

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
vitanola said:
Works of art?

At twenty -Absolutely

At thirty- Of course

At forty - perhaps...

At seventy .....?
Hopefully at seventy people won't be flashing the flesh. To be honest, most people's skin isn't attractive at that age, tattooed or not.

And as i've said many time, if all I have to worry about at seventy are some wrinkly tattoos i'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara