Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why The Headless Suits?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I have noticed that most the suit afficionados show their suits on these headless mannequin-like dummies. I find these photos are fine to sell a suit on e-bay due to the perfect shape of the mannequin, but of less value when seeing how the suit looks on a real person.

My question is....my don't you just take photos of you wearing the suit? Are some of you not pleased with the way you look? Do you feel you don't do the suit justice? Are you in the witness relocation program?

All kidding aside...I would like to know. Thanks.

I'm very pleased with the way i look (certain narcissistic tendencies which are hard to eliminate) - especially in vintage suits.

I just don't have a resident photographer at the moment (and am incapable of working the timer on my camera), so it's easier to take the photos on a manny. When i return to England and the good Lady Baroness, it'll be easier to get photogs of me wearing 'em. I shall endeavour to get a labmate to take photos of me in my most recent purchase, due to arrive this week. And the next time i go to my tailor to pick up alterations, i'll get her to take photos of those ones.

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
MK said:
My question is....why don't you just take photos of you wearing the suit?

Here's why.

1.) I can't take photos of myself. My camera doesn't have a retractable swivelling viewer, so I can't see the set-up of the shot when I'm the
---subject of it.

2.) My wife will not take photos of me posing in vintage suits. She's just not into that scene anymore -- finds it pretentious and costume-y.
---Frankly, I don't know anyone around me who'd be willing to take these photos. Of course, Matt Deckard could always volunteer.

3.) Not all of the suits I sell fit me anymore, so I can't wear those well for photos.

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Is it OK to use a folded handkerchief to cover that portion of my anatomy above, and including, my neck? Also, wear a hat and a pair of dark sunglasses, too?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
My wife will not take photos of me posing in vintage suits. She's just not into that scene anymore -- finds it pretentious and costume-y.

that's a shame. what's pretentious about good clothes ?

to be honest, i think i'd be pretty upset if my partner disapproved of one of my main interests. but i don't have a partner so no trouble there.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
it's imperative that a girlfriend of mine likes the way i dress, since i don't have an alternative look. on the other hand if she disapproved of my accordion playing i think i could live with it.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Here's why.1.) I can't take photos of myself. My camera doesn't have a retractable swivelling viewer, so I can't see the set-up of the shot when I'm the
---subject of it. .

Same here.
Plus I haven't been able to to teach the Boxer how to work the camera, which would end up as a chew toy if I handed it to him.
My friends think I'm crazy as it is, if I start asking them to take pictures of me, I'll probably end being committed.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love when I take a call from a customer at my job and they have the regulation "goombah" accent and they give an address in Utah or somwhere. I guess wiseguys in the witness protection program buy stuff from TV too. lol

Tony in Tarzana said:
I love when I take a call from a customer at my job and they have the regulation "goombah" accent and they give an address in Utah or somwhere. I guess wiseguys in the witness protection program buy stuff from TV too. lol

Yeah, send me one of them big screen TVs. No, make it two. I need one for the basement to watch while I am diggin. :D

Regards,

J

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Well I set the camera up on a table or stand and let the camera do the work.

Pinning the suit to a mannequin is misleading. Suits don't fit that way. I've never been a fan of the floating hat ads that I see some companies using. I need that old school point of reference.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
Pinning the suit to a mannequin is misleading. Suits don't fit that way.

Really? I have news for you, Matt. 1930s suits DO fit that way, because they were made to. Those darts in the jackets are not there for decoration.

Fact is, sellers pin '30s suits to mannequins in order to show how those suits will really look on the human body. Why? Because they fit the human body BETTER than they do a mannequin. It's the mannequin that needs the touch- up.

You have seen me wearing several '30s suits: the grey plaid 3-piece and the black 3-piece. You know for a fact that they fit me as if they've been pinned. And I'm not a mannequin.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Let me explain in more detail.

My mannequin is a size 40. It's also completely rigid, unlike a human body.

If I have a size 41 suit jacket from the '30s, that jacket is going to fit a size 41 person like a glove. Unfortunately, my mannequin isn't a size 41, so the jacket IS NOT going to fit on it so well. Furthermore, the rigidity of the mannequin doesn't exactly flatter jackets which were made to be worn by (and to look good on) flexible human bodies.

Now, if a jacket is too big for my mannequin's size, what should I do? I should make the jacket look as if the mannequin were indeed a size 41. How can this be done? With pins and clips.

Every single store that sells ready-made clothing has been doing this since the 19th century.

NONE of my customers has ever complained that my photos of suits -- taken with mannequin and all -- have misled them about the fit and the silhouette. I work hard to accurately show the size, shape and fit of all my merchandise.

HOW DARE YOU insinuate otherwise! How dare you try to cast doubt on my honesty! Shame on you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails