Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Why Won't You Die!?"

Feraud

Bartender
Are you talking about a villian that is killed and suddenly pops back up to life to torment the hero at the last minutes of a film? That happens in just about every horror/thriller movie. :eusa_doh:
I recall Glenn Close needed an extra killin' in Fatal Attraction.

More importantly, when was the first "fake out" used in Film?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Are you talking about a villian that is killed and suddenly pops back up to life to torment the hero at the last minutes of a film? That happens in just about every horror/thriller movie. :eusa_doh:
I recall Glenn Close needed an extra killin' in Fatal Attraction.

More importantly, when was the first "fake out" used in Film?

Either is thought to have been killed or was attacked (shot, stabbed, etc), but survived and returns later in the film. Also was essentially killed, but didn't die, like the Halloween films.

The Third Man is a good example too. :D I thought someone might mention it before, but I guess not.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
The Third Man is a good example too. :D I thought someone might mention it before, but I guess not.

I was just about too, if you'd give me a minute!!!lol

There's a scene in 'Silence of the Lambs' where Hannibal is supposedly dead, but turns out something a lot more gruesome has happened. I also would have mentioned Halloween/Friday 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, where no amount of killing seems to get rid of the villian, to the point where it's almost ridiculous.

NRay

New in Town
House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price featured this gimmick and it actually worked pretty effectively.
The theme of a person dying/not really dying was used in "Murder by Death," in a humorous way, as Alec Guiness's and Truman Capote's characters are killed and then reappear later. At least I think they do, the whole ending of the film is really confusing.

Doh!

One Too Many
JazzBaby said:
I also would have mentioned Halloween/Friday 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, where no amount of killing seems to get rid of the villian, to the point where it's almost ridiculous.

Each of those franchises passed "almost ridiculous" about 5 sequels ago.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Just the Opposite...

In the movie The Sixth Sense the opposite occurs. The lead character is dead for nearly the entire movie, but the audience perceives him as being alive.

Sorry, back to the question at hand...Mission Impossible movies like to use this type of mis-direction.

Feraud

Bartender
SinatraStyle said:
In the movie The Sixth Sense the opposite occurs. The lead character is dead for nearly the entire movie, but the audience perceives him as being alive.

Sorry, back to the question at hand...Mission Impossible movies like to use this type of mis-direction.

Are you kidding me?? I just rented this movie and was planning on watching it!!! The next thing you are going to tell me is the gal from The Crying Game is really a guy.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
how about some more in which a character was thought to be dead, but returns later in the film? They weren't killed after all.

Shearer

Practically Family
I looked in on this thread earlier and was going to suggest Harry Lime in The Third Man but was beaten to the punch... a couple of times :)

I knew I'd seen at least a couple of films likes this lately so I checked my Netflix queue... not vintage, and definitely eclectic, but Ravenous with Guy Pearce and Jeffrey Jones has at least one character who was thought dead. AND a pretty good musical score!

D

drafttek

SinatraStyle said:
In the movie The Sixth Sense the opposite occurs. The lead character is dead for nearly the entire movie, but the audience perceives him as being alive. Snip

You beat me to that one. But at least Feraud is mad at you and not me:D

I remember another movie with a bomber and crew downed in the desert. They spend there time playing ball and such while waiting to be rescued, all the time being deceased. I saw it a long time ago and can't for the life of me remember the title.

Then there was that whole Dallas thing where they found The Man From Atlantis taking a shower. Though not a movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran