Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wiggle Dress Woes...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
fernande said:
- and I'm Miss weird shape USA. ( yes- I've already crowned myself "miss weird shape USA" ha ha)

I'll bet you have a fabulous crown! :)

Thanks for the idea--I'll definately let the dress out if need be.

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
I guess I'm lucky enough to have a pretty much proportionate shape, but I have noticed that the letting out / taking in works really well for a lot of things. If its just slightly not right, try adjusting the darts.
One of the first wiggle dresses I found was fabulous, but a bit tight around the bust, luckily the darts let out nicely and it fit much better. It depends on the dress but I've let the darting out on a couple and it worked fine. I've also put in my own darts on several dresses to nip the waist in for a better fit. (I'm just too cheap too go to an alterations shop - but $20 actually sounds pretty reasonable)

nyx

One of the Regulars
Thunderthighs

I too have problems with wiggledresses, but not because of my hips. It's mostly my thighs. My hips are actually small, but especially since gaining my baby weight, my thighs are actually bigger than my hips. :eek: It's sort of like the saddle bags thing (I hope there are no men reading this!). I have the same problem with pencil skirts, which I love, but I feel they look awful on me. Anyone have any solutions for this, or should I just give up and wear loose skirts from now on?

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
NYX:
ooh, how about a more 40's skirt, fitted through the waist and hips w/ a flare or flounce towards the bottom? I think it would hide the thighs nicely, its more of an a line, which is flattering on most everyone.Or try a circle skirt for a fifties look.
If you can stand wearing them (I can't) you can try the leg-shaper undergarments too. Those are good for giving a smooth line.

nyx

One of the Regulars
ssubialdea said:
NYX:
ooh, how about a more 40's skirt, fitted through the waist and hips w/ a flare or flounce towards the bottom? I think it would hide the thighs nicely, its more of an a line, which is flattering on most everyone.Or try a circle skirt for a fifties look.
If you can stand wearing them (I can't) you can try the leg-shaper undergarments too. Those are good for giving a smooth line.

Those are great suggestions. I have a few circle skirts (I usually fluctuate between 40s and 50s styles more than anything), which are flattering. I also have seen some cute swing-dance skirts with a little flare at the end. And I greatly enjoy the wide-leg pants of the 40s because they do wonders for big thighs. The straight line down, pretty much hides the flaws.

I guess I just wish I could wear a more "sexy" look, that wiggle dresses and pencil skirts seem to give. But we have to work with the shape we have, so I'll have to deal with it. [huh]

fernande

Vendor
What I always do, in terms of finding good cheap alterations shops- back when I didn't sew myself. is I'd a) scope out the prices... taking in or letting out a dress in shouldn't cost more than 20-25 bucks. If it does, its not the right place-

b) then I'd bring in a dress of mine that was perhaps not precious and she what kind of work they did- sounds like a bunch of hoopla to go through, but finding a cheap dry cleaners/alterations spot *is* worth the hassle. (especially since I always seem to spill all over my beautiful cold rayon dresses)

In NY, we're lucky because its just sort of "expected" that a drycleaners/tailors be proficient- don't mean to generalize- but I guess its one of those old "nyc things." (like how there are tons of GREAT shoe repair shops) but most likely in any metropolitan area, you'll find some good old fashioned tailors. I've had luck in Little Italy and Chinatown.

I love sewing, so I'd encourage anyone to pick up a cheap sewing machine and experiment. sewing is awesome!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Jovan, although I'm not the deleter, I'd imagine that it could be because you were responding to a comment a lady made regarding a bra and being that a bra is considered lingerie and we have a rule about guys participating in lingerie discussions in the PR, it was most likely deemed inappropriate in the stepping over the lingerie line.

Ellie Jane

New in Town
Jovan - Gentlemen don't joke about foundation garments in mixed company. ;)

I love the high/natural waist wide leg pants too, they look awesome on the bum and hide the saddlebags really well. My OH always compliments my shape when I wear them.

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
Maybe in the '30s. Me and my friends (some female) are secure enough to. ;)
Jovan, can I ask you to leave the ladies discussions to the ladies? You can certainly find some male oriented discussions to participate in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24