Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will a dark navy, light grey, or charcoal overcoat go with the most colors & styles?

JLStorm

Practically Family
I am working on having a custom very heavy weight full length overcoat made from a traditional double breasted pea coat type design. Im hoping that this coat will become something for the coldest days of winter that I can wear with jeans, a suit, or anything in between day or night. I want it to go with the most colors and most styles of dress.

I figure black is out because I wear lots of brown shoes. I like the fact that dark navy will hide dirt better, but I think that light charcoal will probably go with the most colors and may also look more dressy when needed. Still, dark navy is my favorite color, but I think light grey also looks better with black than blue does.

What do you all think is the best color for my needs?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I don't know exactly what you mean by saying that navy blue will hide dirt better, but based on my pea coat experience dried mud/dirt shows up quite a lot on every color.

I'd probably lean more towards the charcoal gray if I were you, but that's just my personal preference really.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Here are photos of the colors

Navy:

740NAVY.jpg

Light (oxford) Grey:

740oxg.jpg

Charcoal:

740charcoalgrey.jpg

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Personally, I love the gray, but I've been wanting a coat that color for a long long time, so I'm biased. I think that gray color exudes pure class. [huh]

Otherwise, I prefer the charcoal to the navy blue, because it strikes me as dressier. But, there again, I might still be biased because I already have a navy blue overcoat like that.

So basically, unless you like what I'm saying, just disregard my opinion :D

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

I have a full-length, wool coat and it is charcoal gray. It goes with just about everything I wear, except a shabby pair of gym shorts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats