Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will Obama wear a topper for his Inauguration?

Will Obama wear a Top Hat for his inauguration?

• Odds are better than they were for GW Bush...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe a Homburg?

• Unlikely that any prez elect will ever wear a proper hat again

• Total voters

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've voted "no hat." In terms of dress, I think the Pres. Elect will have an elegant, conservative look that will be intended to look timeless. It's hard to look timeless in any style of hat, as every style suggests a certain period.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
My guess is that he won't. It would be great if he did...If he wore a topper, too many of the 24-hour news-knucklesheads will probably accuse him of trying to be Lincoln. He is already doing a lot to invoke Lincoln - the hat might be taking a step too far.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I voted no, but this is one guy who is looking to pull from the past as well as stake out the future in his use of symbolism. He'll take the oath on the Bible used by Lincoln, and will take a train into DC using the same route Lincoln did (last leg from PA) in 1861. And his inaugural address is taking lots of cues from the Gettysburg Address.
I think if any President can be said to be a likely hat wearer, Mr. Obama is it.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Mr. Obama will wear a proper top hat to the inauguration. Like was said previously, he does appear to weigh heavily on symbolism from the past, so this leads me to believe there is a very good chance of seeing a top hat.

Wouldn't it be great if he (or any President) were a hat wearer? Just imagine what that would do in helping hat wearing by the general public make a come back.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
kaosharper1 said:
Maybe he'll do the JFK thing and bring a Topper but not wear it during the speech.

.... which was only exhibiting proper form, as no President ever delivered an inaugural with a hat on. JFK did nothing differently than any predecessor.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I voted yes, and although that's probably just wishful thinking on my part, I think he will display a wonderful sense of style nonetheless.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
I voted no, i doubt we ever see that again, but i would love to see him wear one. Scotrace thats very interesting that he will take the oath on the same bible as Linclon. I wonder how many have done that?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Boxerken said:
I voted no, i doubt we ever see that again, but i would love to see him wear one. Scotrace thats very interesting that he will take the oath on the same bible as Linclon. I wonder how many have done that?

Here's a story on the subject from the Library of Congress website.

I find the use of "His Excellency" very interesting.
(a snippet of the article)

In the back of the volume, along with the seal of the Supreme Court, it is annotated: "I, William Thomas Carroll, clerk of the said court do hereby certify that the preceding copy of the Holy Bible is that upon which the Honble. R. B. Taney, Chief Justice of the said Court, administered to His Excellency, Abraham Lincoln, the oath of office as President of the United States ... "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran