Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will Obama wear a topper for his Inauguration?

Will Obama wear a Top Hat for his inauguration?

• Odds are better than they were for GW Bush...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe a Homburg?

• Unlikely that any prez elect will ever wear a proper hat again

• Total voters

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Zohar said:
abe.jpg

Maybe he should stay away from top hats, too...

Stoney

Practically Family
metropd said:
That's not a top hat. That is a stovepipe hat pretty much a tall boater made out of beaver. big difference!

True, it's a stovepipe...but you have to admit that it really suits the Illinois/Lincoln image much better than a topper. lol

Dewhurst

Practically Family
To answer this four pages in, I would have to say NO. I very much doubt he will wear a hat.

But I can't click the last option which says no president will ever wear a hat to the inauguration again. A "No, not this time around" I could have voted for.

univibe88

One Too Many
That would be awesome! It's a shame they have to point out that the hat in question is not a cowboy hat. Too bad the public only knows Stetson as a cowboy hat company anymore.

Also, the article mentions Nixon was the last president to wear a hat at his inauguration. What kind was it?

Mulceber

Practically Family
God, can you imagine what the media would say if he did wear a topper?

The more ignorant pundits would say he thought he was Abraham Lincoln (especially when he's swearing in on the same bible as Lincoln), while the more informed ones would say he thought he was JFK :eusa_doh:

It wouldn't be much better if he wore some other suitable hat: a homburg? They'd either say he thought he was one of the Corleone's or the notorious B.I.G. Let's face it, even if he did wear one, the media would behave like a bunch of idiots as usual. -M

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
My head says NO hat....

But on the other hand, we have a cold front going on right now and that might help...

If he did wear something IMHO he would look good in Fedora or Homberg and after seeing all the pics in this thread, that would be all that he would look good in.......

I like the one Stetson is trying to get to him,,, all we can do is keep our fingers crossed and wait and see.....

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Maguire said:
politics aside, have you seen his campaign? The guy barely wore ties!

His appeal to the "younger generations" also won't bode well. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even wear the tie.

He seems to dress so as to fit in with particular occasions, though. I noticed a lot of photo ops of Mr. Obama with no tie, however, I've also seen shots of him in full-fledged white tie...

..I think it's wide open as to whether or not he'll wear a hat (but I think a topper isn't in the cards).

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
In reply to the basic question: no.

:eek:fftopic:
As an "alien" I do not have the right to vote in the USA. I am agreeable to that (of course!!!!!!!!!).

I have, during the course of the elections prior to the election of this gentleman, been privileged in having been asked to be "witness" to my (company) boss' vote as absentee voter. It's the nearest I will ever be to actually voting in and for the USA. I said PRIVILEGED, and I"m thankful for that. I need nor ask more.

No, I don't think Mr. Obama will wear a hat. A stovepipe would not, I believe, be "serious". Neither would a stingy brim "pork pie", which would limit the President's liberty of action, if only for a name...

Mr. Barack? Hat or no hat, this gentleman is going down a long, winding road of tradition and respect. We (I said "WE") need that.

Respectfully,
An alien. ( and pleased to be home).

RBH

Bartender
PabloElFlamenco said:
In reply to the basic question: no.

:eek:fftopic:
As an "alien" I do not have the right to vote in the USA. I am agreeable to that (of course!!!!!!!!!).

I have, during the course of the elections prior to the election of this gentleman, been privileged in having been asked to be "witness" to my (company) boss' vote as absentee voter. It's the nearest I will ever be to actually voting in and for the USA. I said PRIVILEGED, and I"m thankful for that. I need nor ask more.

No, I don't think Mr. Obama will wear a hat. A stovepipe would not, I believe, be "serious". Neither would a stingy brim "pork pie", which would limit the President's liberty of action, if only for a name...

Mr. Barack? Hat or no hat, this gentleman is going down a long, winding road of tradition and respect. We (I said "WE") need that.

Respectfully,
An alien. ( and pleased to be home).
Well said my friend...
but I do think this is the best chance for a fedora wearing president that we have had in a long time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran