Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Willis & Geiger Navy Summer Flying Jacket NA-1

tonylumpkin

New in Town
I'm new here, and actually came this way looking for information on a Willis and Geiger jacket I picked up while thrifting.

I can find very little about it despite having the maker and the model number.
I do know a bit about W&G. I have one of their heavy cotton flannel shirts and it is one of my favorites

Here are a couple pictures. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
These are neat because they were the only reproduction of this type jacket in larger sizes or at popular prices. I think they came out 15-20 years ago.

The original Navy jacket was Spec 37J1A or B, issued from 1932-'40. They were made of a much heavier Bedford Cord called Jungle Cloth, which was waxed water-resistant cotton in a light olive drab.
cap3.jpg

Original 37J1 in movie Dive Bomber, 1941

The much lighter weight and color fabric, and the made-up number NA-1, suggest Willis & Geiger didn't have an actual jacket to copy and were going from photographs. Originals are pretty much nonexistent and the only top notch repros of the jacket have been made in Japan, for small sizes only (non-wartime military clothing is a hard sell in the US, as W&G eventually found out).

This should fetch a decent bid, I think. It's known to be pretty rare. W&G also made one without a USN stencil in a slightly heavier twill fabric, with bigger pockets and handwarmer entry.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Great Jacket, Great Price

Unfortunately for me, you will easily get more then your $99.99 starting price! Wish I could find one for that price. Oh well, best of luck on your auction!

thor

Call Me a Cab
I bid for this very same jacket but put $200 as my max bid...couldn't believe it when it sold for over $300! W&G items are very collectible, especially in such good condition. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes peeled for another one...

Someday!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's a real puzzle why Lands' End (current holder of the W&G mark) doesn't want to revive some of the pieces that are in such demand. Suppose it would drive their customer base away - or be too costly to tool up?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Snap...
CIMG2843_zpsb6f859cc.jpg

Also in a 46 (it fits true to size), so this will be on to the Buy/Sell Board...

I've decided to bite the bullet and ask a Japanese friend to source an RM 37J1B Zielinski in a 44.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy