Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Willis & Geiger

Joaniebo

New in Town
For years, I've visited the Fedora Lounge when I did some Google searches for "Willis & Geiger", since I'm a BIG fan of W & G stuff.

Years ago, when Lands End closed W&G down, I loaded up on all the W&G clothes and accessories that I could find.... Have worn the shirts and pants so much, I had to get a seamstress to sew edgings on the ragged cuffs. Now, an old guy is happy.

Also happy to see some new W&G stuff show up on "the bay" although with the prices being asked for some of the stuff, I'm glad my W&G clothes are still wearable.

By the way, from info I got a few years ago, some of the Safari / Bush type clothes at Orvis was supposedly designed by the same guy who did a lot of the W&G clothing. I've purchased some of these Orvis clothes (shirts) and I really like them. Cheers - Bob

wgnovak

Familiar Face
For years, I've visited the Fedora Lounge when I did some Google searches for "Willis & Geiger", since I'm a BIG fan of W & G stuff.

Years ago, when Lands End closed W&G down, I loaded up on all the W&G clothes and accessories that I could find.... Have worn the shirts and pants so much, I had to get a seamstress to sew edgings on the ragged cuffs. Now, an old guy is happy.

Also happy to see some new W&G stuff show up on "the bay" although with the prices being asked for some of the stuff, I'm glad my W&G clothes are still wearable.

By the way, from info I got a few years ago, some of the Safari / Bush type clothes at Orvis was supposedly designed by the same guy who did a lot of the W&G clothing. I've purchased some of these Orvis clothes (shirts) and I really like them. Cheers - Bob

I and most agree W&G was top of the line. I still have a beltless 100% cotton safari jacket circa 1980 . Lucky that it could be let out 1 1/2” to fit. A little worn. What isn’t after 35+ years of service !

You’re right. W&G made labeled clothes for Orvis and a host of others. All top quality. They supplied Abercrombie & Fitch when it was a “real outfitter” in the pre modern era. When A&F went bankrupt in 1977 W&G was a major creditor. The reason W&G went under until Burt Avedon brought W&G back as a small niche high quality manufacturer of “sporting” clothes in 1979. W&G sold labelled goods to many quality companies. W&G eventually passed hands to Lands End. LE didn’t I believe understand W&G’s market. Many of the big ones have that problem. W&G is no longer around.

However,Burt Avedon is still around at 91. I was looking on “the bay" for a used W&G jacket and field shirt to replace mine until I found out about Avedon & Cole. In my opinion A&G is as close as you can get to W&G's timeless quality. A couple of minor improvements,too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner