Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wilson Leathers Open Road

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've always liked classic motorcycle jackets and have been wanting to buy an entry level something to see if I could pull off that style. Decided on a used Wilson Leathers Open Road.

Now before y'all start guffawing, please hear me out. Those of you who frequent the outerwear threads know that I'm no novice to vintage jacket collecting. I guess I'm as much of a jacket snob as anyone here. But I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a style that I may not be able to wear. And I no longer ride...so extreme toughness isn't a big consideration. And it was cheap enough that if I look like a dork, it won't hurt my feelings to give the jacket to my brother in law and let him look like a dork.

When told Jackie that I had purchased this jacket, she couldn't understand why. She asked why buy a motorcycle jacket if I no longer own a motorcycle. I told her its just a thing and reminded her that I've worn MA-1s since she's known me, but I don't own an F-86.

So...other than the protection afforded by the thick horsehide found in more expensive motorcycle jackets...what am I missing by buying this cheap-o?

AF

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Looks a nice jacket, what is the back like, single main piece with a top yolk chevron style? The only thing I dont like is the small pocket on the front but I know it is a typical feature of American bike jackets.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
She asked why buy a motorcycle jacket if I no longer own a motorcycle. I told her its just a thing and reminded her that I've worn MA-1s since she's known me, but I don't own an F-86.

LOL!!

Nothing wrong with it imo but I'm not an expert in perfecto styles. I actually think its a smart idea to test a style of jacket you aren't sure about with a more affordable version. If you love the style enough, you can always upgrade, if not, just rock this one occasionally.

Looks like a jam-up jacket AF.
I never liked the perfecto type because of the belt scratching my paint job on my gas tank.
They don't look right without the belt & orphaned loops, IMHO.
I think you've done very well getting a good look of how you look in that style of jacket without forking over a ton of $$$.
If you feel good wearing it, then that's what matters.
Bet it looks smart with a silverbelly Open Road!

So...other than the protection afforded by the thick horsehide found in more expensive motorcycle jackets...what am I missing by buying this cheap-o?

Nothing, and not even that. Most horsehide jackets being sold right now are not as thick as their cowhide counterparts.

In any case, looks to me like a fantastic jacket and an excellent take of the Perfecto style. Well constructed, solid, leather seems thick, all the right details are there, down to the chain pulls which I rarely ever see... I honestly don't see this jacket lacking one thing that the Perfecto from Schott has, apart from the belt buckle, which is one for me very important detail that most manufacturers seem to ignore, for some reason.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Mwa ha ha... he said "dork"! That line about giving it to your brother in law had me dying. I hope he's not a member or a lurker... he might just throw the jacket back in your face if you give it to him.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR