Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wing Tips

Bart

Familiar Face
Well Pardner, if you really need those ANCHORS with the heavy soles, look on eBay. If you want something that you can feel and pick up your feet, do you realy need custom? If you want expensive try Aldens or Allen Edmonds.
Otherwise open the wallet for custom, better yet, fly to Italy, get taken.:beer:

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

What exactly are you looking for? What aspects of the shoe's design make you want a custom pair instead of off the rack specs?

I have a pair of custom spectators from Allen Edmonds. I went custom because I wanted brown and white, and that wasn't a standard color combo.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Nope. The shoes that I saw in Charleston were Aldens. They were right on the rack in a particular men's store on King Street. I don't own a pair of them (yet).

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

So you're looking for something in a single oak sole (leather) sole, with rubber heel, and in any color combination you want?

Any outlandish colors, or just like browns, blacks and whites?

Clint_Southwood

New in Town
Yeah those soles sound good. I'm not really picky with the soles. I do like the Doc Marten's that don't have the clunky soles. I do want some outlandish colors though.

shamus

Suspended
I do love a good wingtip.

But for everyday wear I own a pair of Docs wingtips in brown. The soles are not bad, not too thick. And if you buy them from England or Canada you can get them in half sizes.

But I wouldn't wear them with a suit. They're not "Wing-Tip" enough.

Like everyone says.. check out ebay and if needed get them resoled. Or better yet... buy a pair Alden or Allen's and send them to the factory to get refurbished. It cost around 100.00 dollars.

D

Deleted member 259

My boyfriend just picked up a pair of the Stacey Adams wingtips in black & Red, and my best friend got a pair in black and bright yellow - so I know they are to be found.

Also, you could look at getting a black & White pair dyed.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
If you want wild color combinations, then you'll have to go with Stacy Adams (not custom), some other avenue that I don't know about. If you get custom from Allen Edmonds, you'll have to stick with tans/browns/blacks/whites.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
you should try "Gorgeous Shoes" from Australia or "Colin the Shoemaker" in the UK. Both are on the web...somewhere.

I seem to recall that the best custom shoes came out of the hand made shops of London. They hand carve a wooden model of your feet called a last and then they can pretty much make what ever you want, with a couple of fittings during the process. There was an article in Cigar Aficionado about it, maybe you can get a list from their website.

Happy hunting!

Teacher

Familiar Face
Clint_Southwood said:
Will Alden or Allen's make custom outlandish colors?

I'm not so sure about Alden, but Allen Edmonds certainly will. The cost is US$100 above the shoe's normal price. I've seen AE shoes in blue and gold suede, white nubuc (which they haven't offered normally in YEARS), and other odds and ends.

Clint_Southwood

New in Town
Well, I got some Wing Tips.

Not really the classy dress type that all you probably where, but take a look. On ebay it said that they are brand new and have never been worn. They are Doc Marten's and i got them for $49.

93_1.JPG

2b_1.JPG

RedPop4

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
I seem to recall that the best custom shoes came out of the hand made shops of London. They hand carve a wooden model of your feet called a last and then they can pretty much make what ever you want, with a couple of fittings during the process. There was an article in Cigar Aficionado about it, maybe you can get a list from their website.

Happy hunting!
Well, if they were featured in cA, then you'll have to give up appendages to afford them. I'd love custom shoes from London shoemakers myself, but that's never going to happen. Remember that to be in cA you have to charge a certain amount just to get Marvin Shanken's attention.:) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy